SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mercenaryfh

Need some Low Growing/Full Sun suggestions for a Mailbox Flower Bed

Matt S
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So i've planted a Mailbox flower bed, its not small and has quite a few things. Right now im growing the Tall Phlox/Lithriope/Oriental poppies/Daylilies and some Northern Sea Oats as a backdrop Grass.

However most of these are tall (well towards the back) and I have some spaces I sorta need to fill. So im looking for some low growing hardy perennials (i've put down good quality topsoil and compost, since the soil is clay-ish.

Also in front of the mailbox there is very little soil depth. (Because of where they pour the cement for the mailbox)...so I need something that is low growing (Preferably) but also has very low growing roots. Also since there isn't much soil depth there it needs to be drought tolerant. (Since it's maybe got...3-4 inches of soil depth, then it's concrete. It's right up against the road too so it can't be anything that gets too scrambly.

I was thinking maybe some Sedum/Hens and Chicks for the front? I mean...it doesn't hold water so their roots wouldn't get too crazy, plus they have tiny roots as it is. (Maybe Coral reef sedum or autumn joy)

Oh yeah this whole area will be mulched. Not sure if that matters? (For my sedum/hens and chicks/succulents suggestion especally)

Comments (11)