SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottie_carlock

My one heirloom tomato is wilting

Scottie Carlock
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello everyone,

I posted this in the Tomato Disease forum, but I didn't get responses, so I'm going to try here...
I have one tomato plant that is wilting on the the bottom (on the right). It is the only Abe Lincoln I'm growing. It also appears a little stunted in growth compared to the others and has very few blossoms, but it does have a green tomato. It has been like this for a while. I'm not sure what is wrong and if I should pull it to keep the disease from spreading, if it is a disease.

Edit: I just saw another post where someone suggested that maybe this variety doesn't handle the hot sun as well as the others. I don't know how to quote, but also saw that Dave posted this on another thread: "Once the plant kicks into production mid-season - about the time you mention - it devotes most all its energy gathered from photosynthesis to new top growth and fruit production so the leaf branches below are "sacrificed" if you will as they are no longer contributing anything to the plant."
I should also mention that this tomato just barely survived a frost a couple weeks after transplanting. The other tomatoes handled the frost a lot better than this one.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (5)