SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

The Ring . . . A Very Special Treasure

LynnNM
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

It's not an extremely valuable ring. Not a very old one either. But, next to my wedding ring, it's my most cherished possession in the world.

A year and a half after DH & I were married, we were offered the gift of adopting a yet-to-be-born baby boy through private adoption. I'd already had two surgeries for severe endometriosis and, due to complications, was told I'd most likely never be able to conceive a child.

The day that we got word that our son had been born, we were in Santa Fe on the Plaza, showing my visiting sister around. My sweet husband bought me this ring there to celebrate and commemorate the birth of our son. He came home to us that next day, and has truly been ours in every way, and so, so loved.

I wore this ring on every one of his birthdays. I wore it the day he started kindergarten. I wore it the day I watched him graduate from kindergarten, middle school, high school and college. I wore it to his graduation ceremony from basic training, the days he left for both tours of duty in Afghanistan and the happy, happy days when he returned home from there safely.

Today I'm wearing it again, as our wonderful son was just married a few minutes ago. This was the first of two ceremonies. This, a private one for just the two of them, on the river in a beautiful park near their home in Augusta, Georgia by a justice of the peace. Their second ceremony will be this coming Winter on the beach in Florida, where my new daughter-in-law's family lives. That ceremony will be for both our families and we will definitely be there . . . and, again, I'll be wearing The Ring.

So, here's to a mom's dream come true: a happy wedding day for my truly wonderful son and my new daughter. Please celebrate with me. I'm a happy mom today!

Comments (42)