SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Garlic help? Lost seed stock, questions. SW MI, NW IN area.

beesneeds
7 years ago

I'm sad to say that my entire collection of hardneck garlic was an utter washout this year.
Last year it looked like some black smut had gotten into one garlic bed with hardnecks. It started with a porcelain to be exact, one that had been a new introduction in the fall prior. I scrapped that one, and the other hardneck that had shared that raised bed for seedstock entirely. One bed of mixed hardnecks and a softneck, and my other bed of all hardnecks looked, cured, and stored just fine. I pulled the two ok looking beds a week or so early because of this. After the scape harvest, but before I normally would have pulled my bulbs. But I had a really good harvest overall, plenty for replanting (even after cutting out two seed lines) and for canning and overwinter eating. Finally hit the right mark last year in how much to plant :)
But since I felt that the bad in the beds meant time to rotate, I moved the garlic to a whole nother bed area. One that had started out as huge mounds of horse compost, but for the last three years saw heavy use with squashes, beans, peppers, and tomatoes.

Well, this spring... Out of 8 varieties, 6 hardneck, 1 softneck. Only the softneck sprouted. I even gave it till Mid-May for the hardneck to do anything, and nothing. When I finally gave up and decided to plant something else there, I didn't even find any clove bits from the hardnecks anywhere in the bed.
Currently, the softneck is thriving, it's almost extra plush this year compared to previous years with this one.

Anyone have a clue what went wrong here?
I'm thinking that the porcelain was the culprit for the smut stuff in the raised beds. It wasn't local garlic like I often use.
But since I pulled all the beds, and scrapped the porcelain garlic and the other hardneck from that bed, why did all the hardnecks fail but the softneck is flourishing?

And also.. since I ACK have NO garlic scapes this year for pickling.. Where do the local farmers markets in my area sell garlic scapes? I haven't had to think about this in years, and I don't have a clue who sells them or not. I'm deep in the SW corner of Michigan, and don't really travel much further than South Bend for stuff like this.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that local farmers markets have some good seed stock garlic so I can start over again. There are a few places locally that I can afford at least.

Comment

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County