SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
practigal

Great "how to buy a front load washer article"

practigal
7 years ago

Link to article

Rococo did you write this article? It's really well done. I particularly liked advising people to determine their true size needs and to read the manual. Those things may be the only thing that saves their financial pocketbook in the end.

Comments (15)

• sashanikki
    7 years ago

It's a great article. And even though we are probably stuck with buying a top loader, most of the same principles apply.

practigal thanked sashanikki
  • georgect
    7 years ago

@sashanikki...why are you "stuck with buying a top loader"?

practigal thanked georgect
  • sashanikki
    7 years ago

Due to the layout of my laundry room. Even though we're redoing some of it, no matter how we seem to configure the space it just doesn't work without some major redo like moving water, electric, doorway, etc. A compact washer and dryer would fit, but dh really thinks that wouldn't work. I didn't mean to make it sound so dramatic though, lol, a SQ top load set fits perfectly in the space without doing anything major, and we have two good dealers nearby. After mamapinky's story it had me nervous, but 3 friends bought through the local dealers with no issues. The dealers both said I would have 30 days after delivery to decide as well.

• sashanikki
    7 years ago

goddess pinky:) The 11 steps on buying the washer could be used just like a checklist. It really helps to narrow down all the confusing choices.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

Guilty as charged @practigal. And thanks to all for the kind words.

I was helping mamapinky shop since I knew FLs and she didn't. After she got her machine -- within a day or two -- a friend emailed to ask what she should look at. Didn't know if her machine could be fixed and had been on the forum but couldn't wade through all the threads and info.

Since I'd just taken a crash course in non-compact, non-Euro front loaders it seemed like a sign.

I learned a lot helping mamapinky and really had a hard time with how indirect the info is and how tedious and confusing it is to try to even pick a machine. So my task was to take something complicated and technical and try to make it clear. I'm sure some people will have one of those "you kidding me?" reactions to the 11 steps. It's more about a front loader than most civilians want to know.

practigal thanked rococogurl
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sash, why don't you make a new post about this issue..wecan help.

practigal thanked mamapinky0
  • sashanikki
    7 years ago

Ok, let me take a couple of pictures first.

• A J
    7 years ago

Thanks this was actually very good for me right now. I am on the fence between the SQ and front loader. I LOVE my mom's Whirlpool Duet so despite the advice of many to avoid front loaders at all cost, I think in the end I am going to buy one.

practigal thanked A J
  • rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

EXCELLENT article!

practigal thanked rpsinfoman
  • suburbanmd
    7 years ago

rococogurl, if I read it right, then way back in 2009 or so you had a washer with sanitary cycle but no heater?

practigal thanked suburbanmd
  • rococogurl
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@suburban - Yes. I bought a Bosch Axxis compact for our apartment. No heater. Couldn't get those sheets deodorized no matter what I did with them. That's what started my interest in laundry, really. I also did a detergent test drive thinking that would help get the sheets clean. Also why I went with Miele when the Asko board went and couldn't be replaced.

practigal thanked rococogurl
  • linus2003
    7 years ago

Roc / Jane wow wow, you have the gift with words. That were the most impressive article I have ever read about washingmachines and laundry.

I think you really need to get this out there in the news!!!!

I also think this could be made to fit any part of our world, just adapted to that country.

I am very happy to have met in this cyberspace that we share and that your help made our own MamaP:s life alot easyer.

You are a true friend and a good person for giving your time and expertise to someone that were in need of it.

Xoxo Björn

practigal thanked linus2003
  • larsi_gw
    7 years ago

Jane and her article are amazing and fabulous and brilliant!!

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

You guys are so sweet.