SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

A few pictures from the garden today....

woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Brilliant sunshine - and hot... - today. We are getting desperate for rain as all the thunderstorm that have come are way have run into the Niagara Escarpment and either diverted north or rained themselves out on the west side :-( Rouge - have you been getting rain? Some of what missed us looked like it was heading your way....

I did a WALAT (walk around looking at things...) after lunch and here are a few things that caught my eye:

The mystery lily that appeared under the pines is slowly starting to stretch out - it's a tease! I'm really anxious to see it bloom - and anxious that overly-exuberant Inky (large collie mix) might knock it down before it gets a chance to bloom!

Here the reverse view of the 'backyard from the back porch' shot that I commonly take - this is from under the pines - close to the lily - looking back at the back porch:

For peren.all - the kiwi leaves now have the pink splash (They make me think of melted strawberry ice cream whenever I see them!)

Jack Frost brunneras have seeded themselves into various places in the backyard. I try to edit out the least silver of them but don't always get them all :-) A lot of the originals died out in the nasty winter of 2013/2014 so I suspect most of what I have now are seedlings. Some of them have huge leaves, particularly this year - I think they've liked this cool spring. In the pictures below, I put scissors down so you can judge the size of the leaves a bit better.

All of these ones are seedlings that have returned since 2013/2014 winterkill:

Across the path from those are some that also have large leaves but are a bit less silver:

This clump is Silver Wings. It is much smaller than the Jack Frosts and has never seeded around as far as I can tell. It also survived the winter of 2013/2014 that killed many of the Jack Frosts. But I don't find it as showy:

The 'wet corner' has got out of control this year! Ostrich ferns, goatsbeard and kirengeshoma are fighting it out in there! (there is also a rabbit's nest that Cole has edited down a bit!)

Just to the left of the bottom corner of that picture is a neat little plant that has survived there for probably 15 years - Snowy Woodrush. It's obviously not totally happy there but it persists....

Moving around to the front garden....

The sun was so bright that is was hard to take pictures!

Late last summer we decided to try again to plant clematises at the south end of the front porch. There used to be a beautiful Vyvyan Pennell there but it got 'snailed' to death a couple of years ago! We planted what is supposed to be a 'Indigo Saphyra' but I'm not sure if that is what it is. It doesn't want to climb, so we've been tucking the stems into the lattice. I should post a question on the clematis forum about it but I'm waiting to see how it does this year. I love the rodgersias there and the clematis so far is looking like a good companion to the rest of the stuff there....

I'm really liking the Bowman's Root (Gillenia trifoliata) with the clematis and hostas at the end of the garage. Bowman's Root was one of the plants Rouge posted about a few years ago - good idea Rouge....:)

I seem to have hit the photo posting limit.....

Comments (11)