SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_30917999

Is this set of china worth $350?

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

A neighbor has this for sale and I love the bright colors! It's a setting for 12. But honestly, I never host formal dinners and I don't really need fine china. I think it's beautiful though and if it's worth a lot more than $350 that's how I'll justify buying it to DH....lol eBay seems to have similar ones at higher prices but not sure how much to rely on that....

I would really appreciate any insight into this. Thank you!

Comments (35)

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

I looked on eBay at SOLD pieces of it. See them HERE.

I don't know how many piece she is selling, but a 40 piece set went for $119.00. I think your answer is in your post - "I never host formal dinners and I don't really need fine china." I'd rather spend $350 on something that I need and would use often.

User thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • Related Discussions

Need help identifying set of china salad plates

Q

Comments (6)
    They are Limoges porcelain plates....likely about 1880....and if I remember correctly, the Elite porcelain works was one that became part of the Haviland porcelain works. Worth? What someone will pay. Are they "piece of cake" sized?...likely $6 to $8 each...if you can get that. They would look nice hanging on the wall in the bedroom where you put the lamp. Linda c
    ...See More

Asking price 399,900..offer 350K

Q

Comments (40)
    can not be proven as once you accept that offer, you would never know what subsequent offers would be. I hear it all the time and just laugh. Usually it is out of the mouth of the realtors, who indeed have a vested interest in you taking the "best" offer...... demerara, the reason we know statistically is because when "the first offer" doesnt go thru for whatever reasons, subsequent offers are lower. Could it be that usually its out of the mouth of a realtor, because the realtor has seen the history of such a situation? Believe it or not, most realtors do try to get their sellers the highest selling price. I think its really ironic that if a realtor recommends their seller take the offer, they get accused of trying to make a quick sale. If they try to negotiate higher for them, they get accused of being greedy and trying to get more commission money.
    ...See More

Where to sell full sets of antique china....

Q

Comments (12)
    I'm just a little petrified to deal with the shipping of the china! I can't believe they didn't charge anything for shipping....It would cost a bundle to ship with all the packing materials and the several boxes it would take to ship mine with insurance. I have serving platters, vegetable serving bowls, gravy boat, creamer, sugar dish, dessert dishes, bread plates, dinner plates, soup bowls, coffee cups and saucers, etc....I believe it used to be service for 12 as well, but it appears that a couple of dinner plates and maybe a couple of others as well. It was my sister-in-law's grandmother's china, but it is a shame for me to just have it sitting in a closet....I just don't have the space to display it in my home sadly.
    ...See More

China set wanting to sale

Q

Comments (25)
    The first photo in pennydesign's link is similar but not the exact design. The border and center circle are different; however, they're close enough to get an idea of retail price (but not the price that OP would get.) I'd try selling it on craigslist first and then I'd donate it. As mentioned previously, lifestyles today are such that demand is virtually non-existent for china and silver flatware.
    ...See More
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

I saw that, too, Casey, but it didn't sell for $1300.00. The 'best offer' was accepted and I don't know why they don't show that price in these cases, but they never do. I just bought a pair of Frankart bookends for $22.00, when the asking price was $30.00, but only the buyer sees the price that the auction brought when their offer is accepted. "Congrats xxxxx! YYYYY accepted your offer of US $22.00."

MITTEREICH Bavaria Germany MEISSEN Floral China 94 PC MINT All NUMBERED In GOLD
    $1,300.00
    Best offer accepted

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much for your insights. I know it isn't cheap stuff it looks really special in person. But are right my3dogs, I know I don't 'need' it. I was just in denial! I think I will satisfy myself by buying a few plates in this same pattern from eBay and actually use them vs buying the whole set.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    7 years ago

I was going by the thing that says "Sold for $1300"

At least that's what it said on my browser.

User thanked Sombreuil
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

That's what it says in mine, too, and I don't know why they do that. Other than the buyer and seller, no one knows what the best offer was.

I copied this from the auction where the bookends were $30.00 and I offered $22.00, replacing user names with the x's and Y's. "Congrats xxxxx! YYYYY accepted your offer of US $22.00." But when I go to look at the ended auction, the public sees this - "Sold for: US $30.00".

I'm guessing that they don't want people to see all the lower 'Sold For' prices and possibly start a trend where the sellers wouldn't get as much as they hoped on the 'best offer' auctions. I have saved a lot when Best Offer is an option on several eBay auctions, instead of doing the Buy It Now price.

• lindac92
    7 years ago

It's "worth" what someone will pay.....and in figuring eBay prices you have to factor in shipping costs.
    To buy that new??....whew!....Lotsa bucks!
    Well worth 5 or 6 times $350....at $350 for 12 dinner plates, 12 salad plates, 12 cups and 12 saucers...it would be a little over $7 per piece....and the coffee pot, platters, covered vegetable cream and sugar come along with the deal.
    don't you ever have a family dinner for 12? or host Easter of thanksgiving?.
    Go for it!!! It's really really beautiful.....and VERY well priced!

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh Linda! I do love it so much! And I do plan to host family dinners (we are just starting out in our first home so haven't had a chance to yet). But both our families tend to be really informal and all gatherings include lots of kids. I don't think anyone in the family even owns fine china let alone something as nice as this set, and I'd be terrified one of the kids would break something. I'd maybe use it when we have another couple or two over but 12 settings seems overkill for that. I really do love it though. So confused. :(

• lindac92
    7 years ago

Those rambunctious kids will grow to be responsible 12 year olds in short order.....and you CAN replace a broken piece. So your family gatherings tend to be informal....like you don't sit at a table? Well time to be the first to host a nice family gathering.
    I have 7 grand kids....6 or them boys! I have been having "china, silver and stemmed glasses" dinners for family since before they were born. The babies sat in highchairs at the adult table while older kids sat at a kids table....with plastic and sippy cups! And gradually they joined the adults....and now 12 place settings is not enough. At one time there were three 2 year olds....because there is a pair of twin boys. never broke a dish during those times. never put a silver spoon down the disposer.
    Fine china is a lot more durable than most "everyday dishes".
    Go for it or you will forever regret it!

User thanked lindac92
  • PRO
    Sombreuil
    7 years ago

Replacements Ltd. would parcel it out for high four figures eventually, but they have to warehouse it and keep track of it.

Casey

User thanked Sombreuil
  • chas045
    7 years ago

Several points. As lindac said, shipping is a critical additional cost with e-bay. Dishes are heavy, and breakable although tougher than you might expect. If you get dishes on craigslist, at an auction or a garage sale, that charge is gone. So, that is a great deal. Of course, now you would have to store or keep it safe.

I really like our nice dishes. But I don't have opportunities to use them often either. It appears that younger people are using fancy dishes even less. One could therefore argue that it is a big waste of money and space. OTOH, one might expect that the society is just about ready for another nostalgia craze like using LP's again, and dishes will be back in soon.

But, since dishes are 'out' now, it will also be a good time to get any set of dishes cheap especially at home auctions where they go for $50 a set. So, you can wait and get another smaller set for far less, but not this set that your heart likes. Your call.

User thanked chas045
  • hounds_x_two
    7 years ago

I hope you get it, USE IT, and enjoy it! A great find, and even better if it calls to you so loudly!

User thanked hounds_x_two
  • sam_md
    7 years ago

Not only are dishes out but so are dining rooms :(

I can't remember the last time that I actually ate in someone else's house and we sat down and ate, family style, all at one time. The china closet is used for sports trophies and the good china sits in boxes in the attic. Disposable dishes (which I hate) are what is used today. Sadly, fine china is going the way of the encyclopedia and rotary phones. Even worse, fine silver is being bought up daily to be melted down, the owners preferring plastic.

User thanked sam_md
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all for the good advice.

I think growing up fine china was a luxury we couldn't afford so it's something I'd like to have now. Still $350 seems rather high for something that I may not use a lot. I do love this set though and it seems to call to me rather loudly as hounds put it. I think I'm going to just sleep on this for a little bit.

Interesting take on dishes being out chas045. I never thought about it like that. And you're right, with the vintage craze right now they may be in again. Who knows. But thankfully it's easy for me not to care too much about trends. Home decorating would be a lot more difficult if I did! I just throw everything I like together and it looks good at least to me because each individual piece seems special. So far everyone has had only nice things to say, but who am I kidding if I want the brutal truth I'd post more rooms here on GW! (Someone here described my style as mishmash...lol)

Maybe it's sad that formal dining isn't popular now but I think most people at least make an effort to have a nicely decorated table....I think the reluctance to use fine china is related to wanting to feel stressed about one less thing. I want my guests to relax and feel at home in my home and somehow having crystal and fine china seems to say you have to act different from how you would in your own home. On the other hand I can totally see how lovely formal family dinners could make for great memories....

• sylviatexas1
    7 years ago

If you like & you want it & you can spare $350 for it, get it!

It's so wonderful to have things that make you happy, & you can use this every day; you don't have to save it for company (I've had the thought that company doesn't notice the china pattern anyway).

If the kids don't want it, they can buy what they do want with the money they get for the china at the estate sale (& the person who buys it will be delighted to get it)!

Meanwhile, you will have enjoyed it for years.

ps: Meissen is an excellent brand of china!

pps: Families seem to run in "alternate generations".

If your mother had modern furniture, you're likely to like antiques like your grandmother had, & your minimalist children may raise children who cherish antiques & heirlooms.

User thanked sylviatexas1
  • lindac92
    7 years ago

I can't believe people who say "dining rooms are out". I have a dining room but I live in a 1927 house. But both my children live in houses that are less than 20 years old....and both bought the houses BECAUSE of a separate dining room. And the houses that both of my children lived in before the current house had diningrooms I know 2 other friends who recently built houses....with a dining room.
    And why would a nicely set table make anyone feel stressed??

User thanked lindac92
  • hounds_x_two
    7 years ago

My friends always seem to appreciate it when I use my "pretty things" on the table. I have several sets of China, and I use them often. My entertaining "style" tends to be rather casual, but I always use the "good" stuff and "real" (vs paper) napkins.

User thanked hounds_x_two
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I didn't mean a nicely set table would stress me out. I love to set a pretty table with fresh flowers, real china and real napkins! But its still casual too. I don't even insist on coasters because I want everyone to feel comfortable, though I always keep them within reach.

But the possibility of someone dropping or breaking something like really expensive fine china would definitely stress me out...both in my own home or if I was at someone else's home. I currently have a Lenox set that I really like but I wouldn't be heartbroken if someone broke something. Clumsiness runs in my family! This set is different, I'd hate for something this nice to be ruined! That's really the problem...I love this set but think it's too beautiful to eat on!

But thank you all for your input. It's so nice of you to deal with my indecisiveness! :) I'll let you know if I do buy it.....

• otterkill
    7 years ago

Just remember...you have to hand wash......no dishwasher for those beauties!

User thanked otterkill
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

My mother had fine china and she always put it in the DW.

User thanked cpartist
  • teddybear_2009
    7 years ago

I have had a set of Old English Roses by Royal Albert for years and always used it for family special occasions.All of the little ones always knew it was special and loved it. It has brought me so much enjoyment and will be divided half and half when the time come to part with it between my two daughters. They each have a daughter and it will be passed on again. It has always been put in the dishwasher only with less soap and there has been no gold loss. A representative from the Royal Albert Co. in England spoke at the china shop where I bought it told us it is a very strong china and to use it and enjoy it. I am proud to Say we have . If you love it go for it, and its a wonderful buy.

User thanked teddybear_2009
  • User
    7 years ago

I believe in using things. If a cup or a plate or a saucer gets broke, it can be replaced. Sure I don't use my china for everyday but I use it often whenever we have company. As well as the sterling. I even had a Rotary Club picnic at our house -- OUTSIDE -- and to serve on real plates, I pulled out ALL of my china from ironstone to the Wedgwood. Not a plate got broken and I figured if one did, I would just replace it!

User thanked User
  • mom2sulu
    7 years ago

Gorgeous set! I don't think I could resist at that price. :)

User thanked mom2sulu
  • nyboy
    7 years ago

I collect and use a spode pattern called Greek. The rare times a piece is broken has always been by a adult. kids seem to be more careful or maybe it's there not drinking wine. Buy the dishes and tell your husband it is a early Birthday gift.

User thanked nyboy
  • otterkill
    7 years ago

Wow...I never realized you could put fine china especially with gold in the dishwasher. I have Autumn pattern by Lenox and it never even crossed my mind to put it in the DW....but then again, Hubby doesn't mind hand washing the beauties!

User thanked otterkill
  • summery
    7 years ago

You can stick anything in the dishwasher! But, if you've got hard water, or use a lot of dw detergent, it'll begin to etch and wear at the colours, the gold particularly.

So run the dw with little or even no soap when washing the good stuff, unless you don't mind the shabby chic look, or just hand-wash it, for the few times you use it it's probably worth it.

User thanked summery
  • sylviatexas1
    7 years ago

Love that Autumn china!

I have some cobalt Belmont china, a Royal Doulton pattern from the late 1800's.

Some of the pieces look like someone ran it through a dishwasher;

the gold is tarnished, & the cobalt blue is discolored.

Since it's just me, I use the china anyway.

Today, dishwashers have "light wash" cycles & "cold water" options.

User thanked sylviatexas1
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for the interesting info about china in dishwashers. I actually like hand washing once in a way so hand washing these beauties should be a cinch. :)

• eandhl2
    7 years ago

I have put my Lenox Weatherly in the DW for years. Not a spec of damage on the platinum ring. In many years I have only broken one small plate.

• powermuffin
    7 years ago

I couldn't care less what is "in" or "out." We use our dining room for every extended family event, for small dinners and for just the two of us. I have several sets of dishes and love decorating the table and using them. And my (grown) kids tell their friends about this all the time. It is a treat for your guests and makes them feel special. So if you love the set, and you can afford to purchase it, I say go for it.

• sunnyca_gw
    7 years ago

Just think of the beautiful Thanksgiving, Christmas, or family dinners & how wonderful any pictures taken at them will look, might end up being the person that brings a little class to the family gatherings, let someone else have the outdoor BBQ's. With the family gathered around that table & china you will have your own Hallmark memories! We have had family dinners between mom & I & SIL for 50 yrs & some of my favorite pics are those at the table, even birthdays with cake served on those plates will be lovely! I love the set & I don't think it will get broken, we sometimes had over 30 people as we invited few folks we knew had no where to go but even with all the kids no breakage, nobody drank wine or beer just coffee & tea ,but if someone drinks too much just sit them off at end. I would go for it!

• Fori
    7 years ago

Where I live (SF Bay area), you can get a similar set for about that because they aren't fashionable. (You can get a china cabinet to store it in for even less!) But it's not really overpriced, especially if you love it.

Do not put it in the dishwasher without running a sacrificial saucer through a few times. NEW china (like 1970s on? I don't know when the cutoff is) is often DW-safe. Not always--depends on the way it's made and if the gold is under the glaze or not. So just test it. That's what ebay is for--test subjects!

Just don't assume that china with metal trim can or cannot be put in the dishwasher without damage. It really does depend on the set.

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Some dishwasher soaps are too strong and abrasive. I hand wash in mild soap and then put in the dishwasher to rinse and sanitize.

I say go for it. Use it often. Years from now, it won't matter what you paid. I use my sterling and china every day. Life is short so treat yourself to something nice that you can enjoy everyday.