SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunkfree_4a_canada

My poor plant(s) ! Couple of questions ...?

Hello! I will thank you in advance for reading and perhaps replying to my lengthy post below ;)

I received this dwarf snake plant ) many years ago from my mother in law (hehe). I am uncertain of the variety, I'll maybe try for an ID once I have it back in good health. It was overgrown in a large round pot. I divided it into these rectangular planters.

planter #1

It has always been a very prolific propagator, always sending out pups. I started a third planter with pups. I kind of thought that's how it was supposed to grow, like a thicket.

I have shamefully neglected them for a couple of years now, and the planters have become absolutely root bound and half the pups were dead from lack of light :(.

planter #2

I see from browsing the gorgeous photos in this forum that I haven't been growing this plant correctly!

I divided one planter last night and there are 12 viable plants (another 5 or 6 went in the trash, boo)

Question 1: will the sad, pale, misshapen pups below recover and become nice plants?

Question #2: I planted two groupings of 3 plants as they were very densely rooted together. Should I repot them as singles?

Question #3: is top dressing advisable? I'm getting into succulents and therefore have a nice big bag of gravel LOL. I dressed this trio up and I quite like the look of it.

FYI, I generally underwater the snake plants. They get watered every 3-4? weeks and are not in direct sun.

planter #3 needs more light I think? That tallest leaf is 23 cm from soil level. Sorry can't find any measuring tool in inches at the moment.

Thanks if you made it this far :) actually kind of excited there's a whole forum for sanseveria. My mom's big uber tall one bloomed last year and I'm dying to get a cutting. Glad to have this resource here.

Comments (18)