SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rene_roberts18

Need help picking granite for light maple cabinets...

René
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I took one of my tiles + a cabinet door with me to shop slabs, because finding something to work with both them is going to be difficult. I didn't do a good job picking the tile a few years ago, which is why I'm nervous about spending money to remodel the kitchen, and I'm afraid I'll end up not liking what I pick AGAIN.

I want to do some minimum upgrades and sell the house. My thinking (which could be way off, who knows) is that the new owners might want to paint the cabinets white, and paint the walls greige, so I want the countertop color to be flexible enough to work with a grey palate as well as the current maple palate. The hardware & lights are oil rubbed bronze.

This one is called SAN LUIZ, and it's a little more $$ than the others...

This is SANTA CECILIA. It looks pretty good with my stuff in person, but it looks SO much like the ever popular Venetian Gold, and I don't want it to look dated in a few years. My concern is that this kind of granite is so ubiquitous, that it might not look as new and fresh soon.

GIALLO PORTOFINO.
I think this might be too dark and too heavy on the browns, if someone wants to go with a white kitchen later on.

This is WHITE ICE. My fabricator says it's popular now, but I don't think it matches well...??

COLONIAL CREAM. It doesn't match the tile well, but I like the idea that it keeps the kitchen light and bright, and it isn't as homogeneous / repetitive as some of them.

Any other ideas? Opinions?

TIA!

Comments (45)

• traci_from_seattle
    7 years ago

Personally I don't love the floor and I think that's what's making it difficult. What about a lighter color?

My favorites of your choices are San Luiz and Colonial Cream. I love both of those choices.

• emilyam819
    7 years ago

I don't think you should match granite to an imaginary color that future owners might paint. Choose something that goes with your cabinets and floors best. Better yet, price the house well and let new owners do their own renos.

• Related Discussions

Help me pick a granite! Natural maple cabinets/dark floors

Q

Comments (14)
    I hope someone sees this and lends some advice! We weren't expecting to have to stay in our house as we listed it but now we are staying. Long story:( So, the countertops MUST GO! I need help with an inexpensive but good looking solution. We are likely taking out the 6" backsplash behind the cooktop and the riser so that the countertop can come out just a tad but not so many cuts. Maybe make it another seating area. I've received quotes on Giallano Ornamental granite @$28-30/sqft which comes out to a LOT! lol! Looking at quartz but omg. I'm overwhelmed to say the least. Black appliances stay; sink needs replacing but thinking staying with stainless but undermount. Thanks for any advice! The cabinets are maple, floors are Acacia EVP by Lumber Liquidators. Painting cabinets could happen but our cabinet guy said he'd cry since they're maple. HELP! and Thanks!
    ...See More

Help me pick a granite! Natural maple cabinets/dark floors

Q

Comments (2)
    I think the link below should give you some ideas. If you have a granite supplier in you area, visit them for more options vs the home improvement stores. Here is a link that might be useful: finished kitchens
    ...See More

Urgent help needed selecting granite color for Maple Honey Spice

Q

Comments (36)
    Hi, everybody: It finally happened. The kitchen is done and I believe the colors and contrast match perfectly. Like most everyone else, we'll live with it for a while before deciding what do to with the backsplash. Again, thanks everyone for helping us deciding the contrast that was best for us. Joe Ps. Her's a link to the pictures and there is also a before and after set. http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_p Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen remodel
    ...See More

Need help picking out a granite color

Q

Comments (1)
    Any of those sounds like ur in the ballpark. Since sounds like yer getting plenty of natural lighting, if u want to go a little darker would be fine. Don't overlook how the whole place look at night under artificial lighting. I had a vanity that had a pleasant grey granite look with daylight but gave me pinkish hue under incandescent, just had to return it. There will be no pink in my BR! ^)
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

What she said.

• User
    7 years ago

I have light maple cabinets with Santa Cecilia granite in the home I'm in now. You can see how light my cabinets were seven years ago when the house was built, and now they have gotten to be more of an orange color. I don't think my countertops match as nicely now. My floors are oak and look good with the cabinets.

If I were you, I would do as cpartist suggested on the countertops, but if you plan on using granite, I would pick a different floor.

2009:

2016:

• Stan B
    7 years ago

What does the house currently look like? If you post a photo you might get some ideas on what to do that's lowest cost.

• lam702
    7 years ago

I agree with cpartist. Get something light and neutral that goes with the cabinets. You can never predict what a buyer will want. Neutrals are always the safest bet.

• akl_vdb
    7 years ago

I would leave it and not update it on cabinets that people may want to change..

• romy718
    7 years ago

Post a couple of pictures of your kitchen & get ideas from this group.

• PRO
    Kitchen Magic
    7 years ago

Both Santa Cecelia and Venetian Gold are very popular. It will come down to your upersonal taste. As we always say, choose the one that looks "richest" to you and you won't be sorry. You want a sophisticated and tasteful decor. It will also come down to the slab itself regarding swirls and tones.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

OK..so in our current place the kitchen that we didn't change when we bought the house, has very similar albeit lighter and less blotchy porcelain(I think) tile, pickled oak cabinets, and granite that I have no idea how it's called but looks like Baltic Brown. I don't like anything about that kitchen(except that I can't see it when I enter the house lol) but I don't particularly dislike it either. It's not offensive because all the colors work together which takes care of a certain busyness of both granite and tile. And the backsplash is the same granite taken all the way up to the upper cabinets, to reduce the busyness too.

If you set on choosing a new granite-find the one that will pick up colors in the tile.

From the pictures you posted-nothing really works well with that tile. Of course all the monitors are different etc. But from what my monitor shows me-that's my opinion.

Better yet-as many people commented here already-don't invest in something expensive that buyers might want to change anyway. As a buyer I can tell you-I didn't appreciate the new or almost new kitchen we got with our new place we're remodeling now. It had absolutely nothing to do with the house stylistically. It was the cheapest kitchen the sellers could put there, with the granite that I disliked on top. I just felt that if I take it out-it's really wasteful. And there it stood like a sore thumb..in a completely open plan no less. I couldn't even paint it, it was laminate or something..

In the end, we moved it into the garage..

Not everybody likes granite. More than that, not everybody likes the granite that somebody else picked. I don't know what you have now for the countertop but as long as it's functional and clean and works with a current scheme-just leave it.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Ah..I SO agree with the comment about imaginary choices of future homeowners. You don't know them. Maybe they won't care at all. Like, AT ALL. I know, hard to imagine(to me at least lol), but some people don't care. Or maybe they do have strong opinions about decor and decide they want a colorful kitchen. Maybe they are really into "we do our thing!" and paint these cabinets turquoise...

You can't predict these things.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

My thinking (which could be way off, who knows) is that the new owners might want to paint the cabinets white, and paint the walls greige, so I want the countertop color to be flexible enough to work with a grey palate as well as the current maple palate.

Um just as an example, You know where could freeze over and I still wouldn't paint my walls greige or gray. Not in a million years.

Oh and please don't take this the wrong way but being an artist I need to gently correct the use of the word palette and palate. It seems to be a very common usage oops that I find even artists mix up. A palate is the roof of your mouth. A palette is the colors an artist uses so in this case we want to use the word palette. :)

• User
    7 years ago

Pink and yellow isn't a good color combination, and that floor is one of the pinkest I've seen. A cream quartz with yellow undertones won't work with that floor. Gray is too cool with those colors. If you use peachy or gold granite, well, who wants that? It's the most unpopular color in granite today. If you really feel you must replace the counter, a black granite might work. Black will look good on the maple, and white cabinets with black counters is classic. Maybe the new owners will replace the floor tile with hardwood.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I respectfully disagree with mayflowers in that I think a black, while picking up the cabinet knob colors might be a bit too harsh and strong a color. However I do agree with her completely in that you'll need to find just the right shade of cream/white to make it all work together.

Here I am showing both a black granite, and a white quartz with your counter and floor to show the difference. Ultimately it has to be your choice.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

I think neither black nor white would work with that tile, since the tile is too earthy so to say, and demands earthier, "dirtier" colors..

even though it's hard to tell what color it is exactly because I see lighter yellowish tone on the first couple pics, and darker pinkish brown on the last one. They look like two different tiles to me-probably the light when taking the photos.

Brownish-gold granite is unpopular (as somebody who has it-I don't even know how it could be popular in the first place. but then I'm not a fan of granite...there are always exceptions of course, but generally speaking). But at least it has a chance to play well with that tile. Quartz that has similar to tile undertone might also work. If the tile is more like in the first pic-then cpartis's choice might work. Something in the cream-a bit of gold-a hint of brown realm. But. Again, unless the existing countertops are in a really bad shape, or are unfortunate color choice-I'd just keep to them. Would be helpful to see the pictures of the kitchen now, of course..

(My tile is much more like the first or second pics, but more yellow and homogeneous..nothing remotely pink in it. Which is very helpful I must say. Pickled oak in our cabinets, on the other hand, does definitely read pinkish especially in a certain light)

• User
    7 years ago

I wouldn't spend several thousand dollars for a counter designed around pink floor tile. If you know your market and think the new buyers will prefer white cabinets and a gray color palette, they're not going to want a speckled quartz from 1995 when the trend is marble-look quartz. Some of the quartz patterns have sand-like grains in those tones, and that would be more acceptable, if quartz is in the budget. But it is the warmer tones of the speckles that make it work. A plain white quartz counter wouldn't work, for instance.

• smm5525
    7 years ago

I wouldn't do anything, if u are selling.

• René
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OK so here is what the kitchen looks like...

Right now the counters are tan laminate (and still in good shape), although the sink needs to be replaced.

I have since replaced the fridge:

Here is the same floorplan but flipped, and they went with dark counters. I think it makes the kitchen too dark. I like how light and bright it is now.

They went with a different flooring as well.

Since I'm selling, do you think it would be a better option to put out some granite samples and say that they buyer can pick one?

• cpartist
    7 years ago

First what is the market there for the majority of the homes? Do the majority of the homes there have granite? If not, I would do nothing as your kitchen looks fine.

If your market insists on granite, then I'd find a light quartz or granite that works.

A lot will also depend on the market price of the houses.

• René
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And if anyone has ideas about what to do with the GIANT plant shelf, I'd love to hear them! LOL

• smm5525
    7 years ago

If I were interested in that house, I'd would probably want to gut everything and change the tile. I'd leave it alone. For selling purposes, just a good deep cleaning and stage with flowers and fresh fruit.

• René
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes I would say that most homes on the market have granite. The few that haven't been updated at all seem to be languishing. The market is pretty cool here in Phx, I heard that the avg time on the market in my zip code is around 3 months.

Here are a few houses in the zip code, and the granite they went with:

• René
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are some of the granite styles I liked better, but are significantly more $$:

Persian Gold:

Copenhagen:

Taupe

Typhoon Gold:

Delicatus:

• User
    7 years ago

If you're going to replace the counter, I'd remove the peninsula and make it a more open U kitchen. I really hate those angled peninsulas. Does your tile go under the peninsula?

Maybe upgrade the old electric coil stove to a GE glass top stove.

Fortunately your door style is more current than the styles in the other homes with the arches and raised panels, so I'd go for a modern look to match the bones of the home.

• René
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My friend bought a house last summer that has similar cabinets and I think a Corian? countertop, and a glass tile BS. I just don't know if I'll get my money's worth if I go with something as spendy as a quartz or Corian, versus and base level granite. Her kitchen does look pretty cool in person though.

• Stan B
    7 years ago

The first thing (and maybe the only thing) I would do is update the cabinet door pulls. For about $100-200 it will give a modernized look. If every realtor I interviewed told me I needed to replace the counters I'd go with an almost white lowest cost off-brand quartz and would try to keep the cost low. It looks like you might need more than one slab so try to find something that has some remnants. I think that would be a good compromise between helping the house sell faster and not putting money into it that you won't get back.

I wouldn't put anything above the cabinets or on the plant shelf. Leave it to the buyer's imagination if they notice. Definitely don't add clutter like some of the other listings. Make sure everything is spotlessly clean.

• René
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes the fabricator says I need 2 slabs, and that includes the master bath counter. (I don't think one slab would complete the kitchen, which is why I added the master bath).

What is an off-brand, low-cost quartz? Is there a name of a pattern I should look for?

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Rene, you have a stainless fridge and a white stove and white other appliances? Honestly I wouldn't do a thing with what you have because anyone coming in will gut it anyway. All I'd do is price it accordingly.

As a buyer I can tell you that sticking fancy granite on old cabinets with old appliances would only annoy me because I'd know I'd need to gut the kitchen. Like others have said, clean it up, stage it really well (check on the buying and selling a home forum) and leave it at that.

Additionally looking at the other pics from the area, the first two kitchens have better layouts and larger kitchens.

The third kitchen has Wolf appliances and wood floors which are significantly MORE money than your stove and tile.

And the last one also seems to have a better kitchen layout.

If things are selling that quickly, all you need to do is stage it right and realize you're not going to get the same price as the guy who put the Wolf appliances and wood floors in or even the same price as the others. And putting some granite on the counters won't get you that higher price either.

• Donna E
    7 years ago

Shocking, I know, but not everyone is TKO (totally kitchen obsessed). I would ask YOUR realtor for advice. Not everyone would "gut the kitchen anyway". Many people would rather stick a fork in their eye. Busy people, people with kids, etc.

I can't really tell from the photo, but what kind of house is this? What sort of neighborhood? If it's a $150k house, your strategy will be different than a $500k house.

If your cabinets are in good shape in person, all stainless appliances and inexpensive granite will probably get it sold. These things still dazzle a lot of buyers (I crack up when I watch House Hunters on HGTV and people ask for those things like they are such cutting edge shoppers).

• smm5525
    7 years ago

Nope not everyone. Just most people on GW kitchens and any buyer researching comps in the area.

I agree with the SS appliances and probably granite. But it's also a layout and flooring issue as well.

• arialvetica
    7 years ago

Just include a "kitchen upgrade" allowance in the price. That acknowledges that the kitchen needs work and fires-up the buyers' imagination. Once they start imagining themselves in the house, they're half way to making an offer. :)

• René
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have a black & stainless microwave installed where the range hood is in the photos, and a black & stainless stove is going in once the renter is out. And I'm not sure if the fridge will convey yet. Debating.

It's a $250K house. The other kitchen shots were def not comps, just ideas of which style of granite would look good with light maple cabs. A Wolf stove would be totally out of place in this house / price range.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I'm still not sure it's worth it. I think I like arial's idea of giving an allowance.

• smm5525
    7 years ago

If you are set on getting granite I think San Luiz and Colonial Cream work the best, at least on my monitor.

Good luck :)

• René
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Soooo I took your advice and asked my realtor, and she said that everyone is asking for quartz these days. Back to the drawing board... LOL

• emilyam819
    7 years ago

But dont put quartz on old cabinets. Too expensive.

• René
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Really? The cabinets ARE 19 years old, but they seem to be in good shape. I've tried to take good care of them. I hadn't thought of that at all. I really don't want to replace them bc who knows if the next owner will want to dramatically change the space (although it's been a rental for 10 years now, and so far everyone has loved the layout of the house in general).

• User
    7 years ago

Everyone wants the marble-look quartz.

I'd do nothing too. I think the tile is going to be the biggest problem in selling the home. I had hoped it was confined to the kitchen. Give the allowance instead of making matters worse by locking in those 20 year old colors and layout with granite.

• jpmom
    7 years ago

If I was a prospective buyer for your home, the floor would throw me off. That would be the first thing I would replace. It is such a massive sea of pinky/peach and this is what truly dates the space - not the countertops.

For selling purposes, here is what I would do:

New cabinet hardware

New sink and faucet

Nothing on the plant shelf

The new appliances will be a nice selling point. Don't put your money into the counters. Yours look fine - neutral and clean. New shiny granite will only make your floors look even more dated.

This is just my opinion - I'm big on floors, though.

• lam702
    7 years ago

I agree, don't put quartz on old cabinets. You will not recoup your investment. Leave it as is, adjust the price accordingly and save your money for you new home. You cannot know that a new owner will paint the cabinets white, or any other color. Maybe they prefer the natural look of wood. You cabinets look to be in good shape, you don't say what your counters are but a buyer can change the counters to something they like if they so choose. Make sure the house is freshly painted in light neutrals, super clean everything and get rid of any clutter. Make sure the outside is inviting, trimmed shrubs, plant flowers, etc. Just make sure everything is bright, clean and looks well maintained.

• herbflavor
    7 years ago

"everyone is asking for quartz these days" Yes, in an up to date total remodel, quartz is the superior and more high end choice. However, this is in a context of a remodel where a total redo is being planned. She gave you a short answer. Take the long view...people would even want to choose their own quartz if that were under consideration immediately. Leaving a clean, undone kitchen allows the party to do what they wish. I would redo the kitchen in a year [or when I could] if I bought the house...and probably "undo" the angled peninsula...which changes things.....I would appreciate a neutral workable kitchen, left alone, and get the house at a fair price..

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    7 years ago

I agree with the majority of advice here. Don't bother with new counters unless they are glaringly damaged or worn. Just make sure that every nook, cranny, seam, edge and corner is scrupulously clean! Renew any caulk that is looking less than perfect, too.

• smm5525
    7 years ago

Here is what I would do. You obviously recognize the counters need updating. Figure out what the cost would be to replace with the granite you are considering. Then put in your listing "kitchen update allowance provided." It will keep people interested and if it turns out you get some serious offers, you can negotiate the allowance. Win win for everyone.

• mkuyekawa
    7 years ago

Having looked at tons of houses before I bought the one I am in, I have to say the kitchen isn't THAT bad. It is bright and clean. For someone who wants a high end kitchen, they won't want a band-aid update. They would definitely gut it. And for someone who isn't kitchen crazy, it works. It is far better than the kitchen in the house I bought. I personally wouldn't do anything or even put in a kitchen allowance. But maybe the market is just much different in L.A.