SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

OT - lots more sun for roses now...

jacqueline9CA
7 years ago

There was a giant (80 ft tall, 50 feet wide) 80 year old Scarlet Oak in our front garden, which made shade there from April to Oct, when the leaves fell. I loved that tree. It was planted by my DH's grandfather.

Unfortunately, its main trunk was rotten only about 20 feet up. We had 6 arborists from 4 different firms look at it (trying to get a different opinion!), but they all agreed that it was serious hazard, and the entire tree might come down in a strong wind. I asked one if it would fall on our house. He said no, it would fall sideways and squish our neighbors one story duplex. It is one thing to have good insurance - it is another thing to actually kill your neighbors, so we decided to have the tree taken down. SAD.

Anyway, I am glad it is overcast today, as all of the plants, including the roses, had their leaves set for dark shade, and now there will be none. I am not worried about the tea roses, although I guess they may crisp a bit before they get re-organized, but I have beds of hellebores and New Guinea impatience, and other shade loving plants. There are a few maple trees about, so I guess I will just have to have PATIENCE (!), and wait to see what happens.

I am trying to "look on the bright side" and have purchased some new tea roses and other roses to plant under where the tree used to be. Because it was in an area along our lot line which borders our next door neighbor's driveway, we are keeping the stump at about 4 feet tall, and my DH is going to build a trellis above it on which I hope to have climbing roses.

Here are some pictures for your amusement:

First one - this is the tree looming over the roof of our 3 story house last year:

Here is a pic from yesterday - see the teenie tiny person in the tree? Actually a very large man - gives you some perspective of the scale of the tree.

Last pic - this one was taken by a neighbor 2 doors away - these guys are amazing!

Jackie

Comments (13)