SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennaleigh_tait

HELP! Yearling lemon tree is dying.

Jenna Leigh Tait
7 years ago

I will start off by saying I know little/nothing about growing citrus. I am an amateur container gardener who decided to have some fun and try sprouting a seed from an organic lemon I got at Whole Foods. We sprouted it last summer and it enjoyed a nice, warm summer out on our back porch and I brought it inside for the fall. It is in a large terra cotta pot with standard container garden soil and a little bit of compost. I did not use citrus soil or a speciaI ratio/mixture but the plant seemed to grow well over the first 10 months, growing to about a foot and a half with nice dark leaves.
About a month or so ago, three bright white spots appeared on different leaves. The spots are toward the top of the plant. It looks as if the plant matter disappeared in those spots leaving only a thin white sheet. I decided that the plant was about a year and I wanted to give it some fertilizer so I bought some citrus fertilizer and gave it a little once about 2 or three weeks ago. I don't think I overwater the plant - I generally water once per week or whenever the soil feels dry to the touch, even a couple inches below.
I was excited to move the plant back outside once temperatures were high enough. I gradually increased the time outdoors over the course of a few days (about two weeks ago). Last weekend, after a day of full sun, I noticed some whitish brown patches forming on a couple of the leaves. It has been in the 90s here in Colorado Springs.. My first reaction was that it was sunburn. I moved the plant to a slightly shadier spot. The next day, more leaves had the same splotches. I moved it further into the shade and checked the temp of the soil, which didn't seem too warm to me. The next day, it had only gotten worse, so I decided to bring the plant back inside until I figure out what is going on.
The plant has continued to decline inside the house. Since the splotches are happening all over and regardless of whether the plant is in full sun or shade, I'm thinking it isn't sun burn. Next I thought perhaps salt or overfertilization from my addition of the fertilizer a few weeks ago, but I read that those problems should start at the leaf tips and on my lemon tree the splotches are generally in the center of each leaf, with some tiny white does along the main vein (on some but not all leaves).
I am wondering what I can do to save my green little baby? I sprouted this plant on a whim but have grown very attached. Do I clip off the damaged leaves? Do I try to repot in different soil? Should he go back outside? I need help!!

This first shot (above) shows the earlier damage (bright white) that I noticed a month or so ago before moving the plant outside. This kind of mark has not spread to any other leaves or worsened. You can see the new, brownish splotches on eaves in the background.

This photo (above) shows that some of the younger leaves are curling (mostly upward as opposed to under) and also shows the whitish brown splotches that I am talking about. It is toward the center of the leaves, usually closer to the stem than the tip. They look like burns to me but again, more spots have continued to show up over the course of the last week despite moving the plant to shade and then indoors.

This photo (above) gives a closer look at the damage.

Any recommendations on how to save my plant?

Comments (7)