SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magpier

Kitchen layout help needed!

magpier
7 years ago

Is this layout redeemable? I know it breaks some of the best practices recommendations but I am struggling to find a plan that is functional and best uses the space we have available.

For some background, we have been thinking about doing a renovation since we moved in 3 years ago. Initially we had a much smaller project in mind. We had worked out a decent layout (with GW help) but for several reasons the project stalled for over a year. We revised the scope of the project and learned we could extend out the whole back of the house (about 11’ deep). That allowed us to consider making some real changes to the layout. I’ve posted the current plans we have. This is the max FAR we are allowed so no other additions can be made.

We are a 2 adult, 2 small child household (2 and 3 years old). I wanted to accomplish an open concept with this plan. I’ve concentrated the kitchen along the north wall of the house for light and view reasons.

The struggle: the aisle widths are narrow by GW standards for a 2 person kitchen. I did 42” aisles (I believe measured counter to counter) to try to fit an island with seating and to allow enough room for a family room across the island. It’s tight. Is it so tight, it’s unrealistic??

I stumbled on the idea of having the walk-in pantry laid out like this and really fell in love with it. I never imagined I could have that kind of storage option in this size house (I see it as a place to put an ordinary microwave there, some other small appliances, most food storage I, a place for party platters). If it could stay, I would be really happy. But I wouldn’t sacrifice functionality over it.

Our current kitchen is absurd. Sink, DW, stove and fridge are in the same approximately 7-foot area with a 35 inch aisle. There is probably 36 inches of counter space in the whole kitchen. The bones of the kitchen are original to the 1940s when the house was built. Anything would be an improvement, but we want to make this the best renovation possible in terms of functionality and storage.

The island is the biggest wrench in this plan, but the kitchen feels too exposed to me without one. I thought about peninsula options but that seemed to block the flow to the outside too much and not accomplish much in terms of layout or storage. To try to give enough aisle clearance around the island, I had the idea of just including 18” base cabinets with a 12” overhang (I know 15” is really recommended). I would panel the sides so the island looked bigger from the sides (I don’t like the look of skimpy islands). Is this ridiculous?

I think an island with seating is the best option for us. I say that even though I’ve never been a huge fan of island seating. In this layout though, it seems important to me to have a place where the kids or others can hang out while we prep/cook. But if it will destroy the flow of the living area, I could give it up. For (my psychological) reasons, I’d prefer not to have a clean up sink in the island. The thought of having a sink front and center in the house bothers me. And I love having a dish rack next to the sink for air drying, which I would not do with an island sink. If it were essential, I could live with it only if the view from the family room was blocked by a pony wall (obviously giving up island seating). I would have less of an issue with a prep sink on this island if that was recommended.

I tried to work it out so the dining area was across from the island but there really aren’t many other good places to put a tv for the family room.

Our slider is huge, and we love it. It opens up the entire back of the house to the backyard, which is small but a nice green space. We had contemplated moving it the south wall of the house but that overlooks our driveway and the neighbor’s fence. It was too big a sacrifice.

Some relevant measurements:

Ceilings: 8’6”

Range: 36”

Fridge: counter depth 36” (probably built in)

Wall ovens (strong like but not a must-have)

As large a sink as we can manage (was hoping at least 33”)

Almost everything is moveable. The windows I have shown on my plan are existing, but we would add other windows as needed depending on the final layout (ie over the sink and possibly on the north wall or in family room).

My idea is to turn the current kitchen into an entryway/storage area. We are demo-ing the coat closet by the front door to give a bit more space to the ½ bath. We want to work in coat closet storage for guests and some closet space for book bags, brooms, vacuums, the printer, etc in that area. But the dimensions are flexible. We would like to open up the stairs on both sides (currently only the side to the LR is open)

Thanks for reading this novel, and I really appreciate any insights you may have.

The first floor plan and my kitchen layout:

This is a furniture layout I was considering:

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!