SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vbnagle

Advice-John Tee's new "May Isle Cottage," Southern Living Plan 1905

Val Nagle
7 years ago

Hi -- My husband and I recently purchased a narrow (80'x160') lot at the NC coast. We would like to start construction on our 2nd home (and possible future retirement home) beginning in November 2016. We need to build a narrow and not deep home because of town setbacks and working around a beautiful, expansive live oak tree on the lot. The tree is on the right side of the lot but unfortunately is close to the center of our build area with a large limb spread. John Tee's "May Isle Cottage" plan seems to fit nicely in our build area although we would prefer to build an 1850-2000 sf home. So we're looking at how to modify this plan.

That said, we'd like to add an attached garage to the back left side of the house with a front entry. There's really not enough room for a side entry in the back of the lot and garages must be connected to the house (via breezeway or directly to the house). Here's what we're thinking -- If we connect it directly to the house (which should be less expensive), part of the "front" of the garage will 'overlap' the back left corner of the house for entry into the house. I hope that makes sense! While I like the front elevation of the house, deep down I prefer a more symmetrical look but I'm not sure how to change the front elevation to achieve that look. I THINK I would prefer one gable and eliminate the small one on the right. Here are some things I'd like to modify and/or have questions about. I would appreciate any advice others may have to improve flow, reduce cost, appearance, etc. since we've never built a house before. Please keep in mind that these thoughts are not in stone but just things that we're considering or have thought about. Thanks so much!

Attached are 2 different links and photos to the plan and info, front elevation of house, first floor plan, second floor plan, the tree on the lot and a sketch of the garage attached to the house.

Link to "May Isle Cottage" via John Tee website

Link to "May Isle Cottage" via Southern Living Plans

add front load 2-car garage to left back of home (only one car could be pulled straight into garage but right side can be used for storing golf cart, beach chairs, lawn equipment, etc.)
flip the left side of the house so the dining area is in the front of the house and the pantry/laundry is in the back allowing entry from attached garage eliminate/move grill deckif possible move washer/dryer to share kitchen wall to save on plumbing costs (?) and/or have counter/more pantry space on front wallchange stairs so as you enter the foyer, you'd immediately turn left, go up 3-4 steps to a landing then turn to the right to go to 2nd floor instead of having 2 sets of stairs (not sure what code is)reconfigure master bath somehow. Not sure we like the location of the toilet, walking through the bathroom to get to the closet, 'wasting' a window in a closet, and not sure if we'll keep tub or have a large shower.considering moving the front-right side the house back to be flush with the rest of the house which would cut down on size of master bedroom. This would cut down on size of master bedroom and cut down on size of closet in hallway...not sure of other resultseliminate small gable on front right of house; just have one gable -- guess this would put the window above the foyer area instead of the stairsconsidering opening up the 'loft area' to have a vaulted ceiling in the area below -- assuming it would be over the living room area >> what is room upstairs next to right bath? how/where do you access attic upstairs?eliminate 2nd fireplace in "outdoor room'trying to decide to whether to screen in the 'outdoor room' or leave it openadd steps from the 'outdoor room' to a patio for grilling/access to backyardadd a closed in outdoor shower somewhere in the backhave easy access to back of house/garage/outdoor shower when coming in from beach with sandy beach chairs, etc.

What have I missed? Thanks!!

Comments (23)