SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosie1949_gw

I have learned my lesson!

Rosie1949
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I almost don't know how to start this. All of you were right!!!! After a looong time of NO violets,,,,,,I lived in a happy little world of getting back into violets,,,then losing them to a furnace outage in the winter and having to rebuild again.

Happily I started every leaf that broke off. If I had to repot a slight neck, you guess it!!!! I potted every single leaf that had to come off!!!! Oh not all of the leaves lived. And I was able to trade some for others! How exciting!!!

And I had a couple of enabling friends! YIPPEEEE!!! And even though Lowe's and Meijer's were the only stores I know of to buy violets from I was happy!

And I went to my first violet show EVER!!!!! with Anne!!! And bought MORE!!!! And started MORE!!!! And cleaned out over 600 Kcups!!!! (perfect little starting pots!).

Two days after the show (April 5th) I had knee replacement surgery. Last Tuesday I had to go back and have it "manipulated" (a fancy word for breaking up a lot of scar tissue that formed! Walking and bending much better since I did that!)

So yesterday I had my reality check. Violets and babies badly needed attention--ya think??? I was so far behind. So I spent the better part of the day hobbling around doing that.

NOW I regret planting every single little leaf that was a mulitiple. What am I going to do with 5 Kcups of babies of one variety??? 8 Kcups of another variety? And so on. Irina, your warnings came flooding back to me! And Anne! And all of the other polite warnings??? Oh my.

Soooo,,,,,I did what just a few short months ago would be unthinkable for me. I picked up every Kcup that had a leaf that produced babies and cut off the leaf and pulled out all but ONE of the growing babies. AND THEN I THREW THEM AWAY!!!!!!! Anne!!!!! I THREW THEM AWAY!!! Only kept the one cup and baby. OH did that hurt!!!!

Most of the ones that I did that to were Optimaras from Lowe's and Meijer. Not that I don't love them,,,,but what am I going to do with all those Pennsylvania's, Ontario's, Trinidad ll's etc.????? And the rest??? Oh my. It certainly cut down the amount of Kcups/containers that were taking up valuable space!

This gave more space for the streps that are now getting larger and need to go into Dannon yogurt cups from Kcups etc. AND yes, I am keeping the more (dare I say the word???) valuable violets from the Ann Arbor Show (that I am making for my daughter.)

Whew!!!! Yesterday was painful. And I don't mean just the knee. But another thing. I can go up and down stairs slowly, but I can't carry anything (soil, pots etc) so I still can't do a lot of repotting. Potting stuff is in the basement! Guess all of these factors just smacked me in the head!!!!!

In the 1960's to early 80's I did grow hundreds of violets. BUT,,,,,,, that was then,,,,this is now.

Ok,,,I am now living in the real world. Will be selective from now on. Well,,,,,at least I will try hard!!!!! Rosie

PS. This is an older pix of Trinidad ll. I posted it before when I was sooooo happy to see "mouse ears"! The mom leaf is now gone and I have "pruned" out all but one baby. But now that baby will have room to grow into a very nice plant that I probably won't keep! (sigh).

PPS You all can now say "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!"

Comments (70)