SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isgen

Update on my 2016 peppers

isgen
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Most of my peppers having split into the Y shape and starting to bud, I think I'm out of the seedling stage, mostly. Here's a photo-heavy post of where things stand, don't we hate this around here? ;)

As weather has been crappy this last week, I have my Scotch Bonnets indoors to save them from the cool. They're in 6 gallon buckets. Despite not ideal conditions, the larger one is setting lots of fruits. There probably are over 20 pods right now, lots of them quite tiny still, not to mention swollen flowers that might just set! The larger pods are a bit over 1" long. The smaller plant has three heads and I've stopped pinching-off buds and can reasonably expect pods within a few weeks if weather comes back to normal.

Some peppers I keep on the deck. Top left is an "African" pepper; I'll better ID it when it produces pods. To its right, Jalapeno, then Mini-Sweets, the two on the bottom are most likely Jwala, the seeds having been brought from India by a family member.

Jalapeno pods:

Jwala pods:

Comments (183)

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    7 years ago

Thanks esox! It's a ferment, you can just see the airlock at the top, and look I actually found a fermenting lid just like isgen makes with the tattler lids he recommended. If you are wondering what the beige things in there at the tip are they are ceramic weights to keep most everything under the brine. I will keep It in my cold room which stays dark and coolish at this time of year.

We are going up north a few hours into the boreal forest where there are tons of forest lakes. We will hit a couple different ones, trout, pike and walleye. Maybe even some lakers. Fishing is another one of my many passions lol. I'm a lot poorer at it than I am pepper growing. Wish me luck!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

Hahaha, down here, we come up to Saskatoon to fish and hunt, you guys up further north. Pike and Walleye are my favorite. Love the trout too but never had the opportunity to fish for Lakers. Definitely something I would like to do though. Pictures or it didn't happen.

• Related Discussions

My Pepper Update

Q

Comments (9)
    Looks awesome Moruga. I'd love to have an elaborate rain catch system, but I'd have to set up 20 of those barrels since it only rains a few times a year here. That yellowing plant -- definitely looks starved for N to me also, but it could be a large piece of wood embedded in the root system sucking up all the N. Anybody have a better idea? Kevin
    ...See More

updated pictures of my peppers

Q

Comments (8)
    well thought i would update the progress, not as far along as i wish but they are getting there! Yellow 7 pod Choc Bhut Choc Hab Here is the first Choc Hab Pod set today here is the mystery hab jamaican red with a couple pods blushing! here is the mystery pepper, just set 3 pods today so soon i will post pics so we can try to figure out what it is devils tongue, after 18 days in the DWC roots coming out the basket, and set a pod and its getting BIG thanks for looking! Eric
    ...See More

Garlic Season 2016 Update

Q

Comments (126)
    I think it is about time to open a new thread for harvest pictures. My internet link is real slow; so I suggest that we try to keep our bragging pictures down in size a bit. FWIW I resize mine to 480x640 which may be a bit smaller than necessary. For those who haven't yet used it, the photo icon below allows one to Browse directly to one's home PC desktop or what ever folder one uses to hold the images and to upload them directly from there. The uploaded image goes to whereever the cursor is placed in the message being written, and is loaded to the size it was on your PC. Some folks seem to have tried to post images too large; so there may be a houzz limit on upload size. I haven't hit it myself so I haven't found it necessary to look it up. If one needs to resize a jpg or whatever image format (jpg or png are probably best) that can be done using a very dependable freeware named IrfanView. Just note that the more photos a thread has the slower it loads and settles down to keep the message text box from jumping around. :-) Once I get my tulips dug this week, they will be my first harvest photos; so if others have not beat me to it, I will start a new thread then. Personally I think bragging pictures should be quite permissible... We may actually need a couple of threads before this crop is all in. I want to see everybody's best foot or most interesting one put forward. This is an interesting crowd from all over and this should be fun.
    ...See More

7/17/2016 Hot Pepper Video Update

Q

Comments (12)
    Yup, he's over there with the rest of the ol' gang. Tim, I actually just brought your name up over there about 2 days ago, haha. I was praising your Strawberry Bhut jam recipe. Mmmmmmmm......it's always been my "go to," thanks! And, as always, great update videos Tim. I've always enjoyed watching them :) (yours too, Bruce!)
    ...See More
    7 years ago

Fishing trip update- pretty dismal results. We got 4 smallish pike and one 2 lb tiger trout over 3 days on the water. We only kept the trot and one pike that got a hill damaged to eat. The fish finder was going crazy, there are tons down there, sadly none interested in our offerings. Summer fishing here can be tricky but we are looking forward to fal and spring! Major lunker action then!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

Yah, I was kind of wondering why you were going in the middle of the summer. Down here, the summer heat shuts down a lot of the fishing from about late June into mid september. It is better to fish for Catfish that time of year.

7 years ago

Haha it's true I guess we shouldn't have expected much. We just got a new boat motor recently so I have been itching to try it out.

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's a good looking ferment mix hobby! Too bad fishing was so-so, but it should pick-up in the fall as you say. I haven't had time to go as much as I like this summer. I mostly fly-fish for bass or trout in rivers and small streams.

I was out of the country for two weeks on vacation and was getting anxious to see what had happened of my garden. Luckily I had family and a neighbor checking on things while I was gone, mainly watering container plants. Here's a few highlights.

The volunteer brassicas I had growing from grass and/or clover seed mix became a forest. I picked a bunch of seed pods from them.

I had left a couple of French Breakfast radishes in ground thinking they'd go to seed, but they never did and got hideously large.

A few mini-sweet peppers were ready for me and a couple of the bells had bad spots, so I picked them. A couple of the pickling cukes that were ready as well. I don't have a lot right now, but I ate more than my fill from the garden of my mother in law we were visiting in eastern Europe.

My cilantro flowered and I decided to pull it and make a simple pesto with olive oil and lime juice and freeze it for use whenever required.

Here's an ensemble view of the garden.

Two Jwala and one Jalapeno. Still looking pale, but they're a few pods into their second flush, not bad. What surprised me though is a third Jwala, which had done terrible and was small and pale before I left. I came back to it much larger, greener and with several pods set and more flowers on the way. It's not even in a spot I'd call ideal, as far a sun exposure goes. This one's the not-so-good second picture, sorry.

My two bell pepper plants. The existing pods got larger, but some have bad "rotting" spots for some reason.

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are the four mini-sweet peppers, one overwintered and three yearlings. These seem quite productive and are loaded with more pods than the pictures show.

The two Scotch Bonnets are still loaded. I let my mother pick some ripe pods while I was away to make pepper jelly. The plant in the yellow bucket has started to ripen a few pods.

Speaking of Scotch Bonnets, I previously posted about the hot sauce ferment I started about three weeks ago and it kept going while I was gone, perfectly so, not the faintest sign of spoilage. I blended it today and just had to make quesadillas to eat it with, I can't get enough of the stuff. I've gone through one third of that small bottle. 500ml mason jar for reference.

Here are the two "Mirasol" plants. Still lanky and only one pod on each, a bit disappointing. That and the fact they are not Mirasol at all. The dried guajillo I got the seeds from must have been open pollinated and a hybrid. The pods are nevertheless interesting, quite long. I hope they produce more.

The biggest surprise is how much my Rocotos grew.

When I left for my trip, the first flowers were just about to open and I missed that, but I have several open at the moment. There are lots of ants rooting about my pepper flowers this year, but no aphids so far. I guess they only help pollination so I don't mind. I may have my first Rocoto pod as well, knock on wood.

Other than that, I had lots of bush beans waiting for me. More beets ready. I'll wait some more to pick my carrots as they were not sweet yet when I tried two weeks ago. Tomatoes are not doing as well as I'd like. The plants are small and not many fruits. I hope things pick up for a late harvest, like last year. The cherry tomatoes in 5gal buckets are doing better than the in-ground Italians and regular red tomatoes. The three garlic plants that survived frost heave, out of seven planted last fall, dried up, so I harvested them and set them to cure in the garage.

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Still got to do a bit of garden work, picking and lots of eating during my trip.

Here's a hot pepper plant, variety unknown, some C.annum for sure. I ate one ripe pod, was pretty hot, not Scotch Bonnet level, but not far behind.

Here for you guys doing watermelons:

The bigger ones are larger than softball right now. Did not get to sample these, nowhere near harvest size.

Gooseberries, black currant and raspberries, all extremely delicious. They had a variety of small pears that were good as well, not pictured.

Here's the dacha plot of land, I drew its outline in red. Tons of potatoes on the right, lots not seen as well. Delicious when young and fun to harvest if you like getting your hands dirty.

7 years ago

Everything is looking great Isgen! Funny how there are similar things growing in both gardens. My black currants and raspberries just ripened here too- very delicious!

Well take a look at my giant rocotos.... with only like 6 peppers on between the 2 of them. Man this variety is frustrating! How can such gigantic plants that I have been growing since January only have 6 peppers on? All the other long seasons that I planted at the same time are loaded and ripening. There may be a few more but I can't see them in the jungle.

And to add to my frustration, we had a hail storm last weekend that just pummelled all my plants and knocked off 2 of my precious rocotos! One huge one too, so annoying! The plants will recover but not sure if I have much more time for more fruit to set. They are both still blooming like crazy. I have now dragged them into full shade except for a couple hours in the sun in the afternoon so let's see what happens.

7 years ago

Your hot sauce looks awesome too, the colour is so vibrant!

Here they are after being hammered by the hail, they looked more lush before. See the ugly over winter one way on the right? Zero fruit on that, what a waste of space!

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's too bad hobby. I've been living in fear of hail this season, with
    violent weather and thunderstorm warnings almost every other day
    on certain weeks! I was even checking my local weather when I was over in Europe! It's been a windy summer as well, but nothing bad has
    happened yet, crossing my fingers!

I hope your plants recover to make a few more pods, they look like beautiful plants, other than the overwinter one. I will be overwintering one or two myself, hopefully they fare better, otherwise I might have to ditch the variety entirely since yearlings don't seem to produce a lot either. These yellow Rocotos have the largest flowers I've yet to see, significantly more than C.annuums.

Of all overwintered plants, my two Scotch Bonnets have been the most successful and I might try to keep one alive for a third season and see how it does. The mini-sweet pepper did OK as well. I had a total of 8 plants indoors last winter but will likely not do more than 4 this time. I'll be starting new plants in February instead of March this time though.

Love the sauce colour too! The pineapple made it a tad more orange than red. I'll have to make some more as I have 50+ pods hanging on the plants still. I use one or two here and there in dishes as well, but they pack more than enough heat for me. They're great in scramble eggs to make breakfast wraps.

• bloodtoken83
    7 years ago

Hey esox I don't know how far north you are in wisconsin but I'm about to move to the Necedah tomah area in a couple weeks I live in southern Wisconsin now when is the last frost date and when should I expect to start my peppers next season

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

Bloodtoken: I live just south of Lyndon Station. Probably 30 south of Necedah. Near the Dells.

I have usually started my seeds mid February and get them out for the summer in the last week of May or so. My season has typically ended the first week of October when I pull all my plants after they have seen their first hard frost.

I have kept a blog each season for the last 4 or 5 years which is pretty detailed and goes chronologically by date. If you review a couple of them, you will be able to get a good idea when you want to start and end your seasons.

http://2016pepper.tumblr.com/

http://2015pepper.tumblr.com/

http://2014pepper.tumblr.com/

http://2013pepper.tumblr.com/

http://2012pepper.tumblr.com/

http://pepperpikker.tumblr.com/

Good luck with your move and when you get "up north", shoot me a PM and maybe we can check out each other's pepper grows. My wife and I like to camp up just north of Necedah at the the Juneau County Wilderness Campground which is on Petenwell Lake.

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here's a couple of update shots.

The Rocotos are full of flowers and look like they've set a few pods that want to stay on for now.

The "runt" Jwala doing quite well in-ground, followed by one of the older two, in its second flush despite looking yellow and sorry:

The first Scotch Bonnet is almost out of pods and the second one is quickly ripening what it has on:

Bell and mini-sweet peppers:

The non-Mirasol mystery pepper has reached it mature size, will wait until its ripe to pick:

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

One of my pickling cukes, this one is eating size though!

My tomatoes are getting ripe a solid three weeks prior to last year's, but the plant are nowhere near last year's size, kind of a weak year for them so far, unless they explode in growth right now!

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here's a small harvest from today. Got all the ripe Scotch Bonnets off the plants since they tend to crack from the huge rainfalls we had. That and earwigs are ripping holes into them to have a hiding spot! Some unripe pods also just fell off. The Jalapenos were the only two on the plant that grew after the first harvest. Also got a couple of tomatoes and cosmic purple carrots. Still have a few dozen of these in the ground, along with a second planting I might harvest in October or so.

7 years ago

Lookin good Isgen! I have had quite a few yellow SB ripen but the red plant is barely setting fruit! I was a few weeks behind the yellows at planting but still this is getting kind of late for new fruit.

Rocotos look good too... since I put mine in full shade they appear to be setting more fruit as well. Wish I had done that earlier in the season, I thought they were doing ok.

Did you ferment any dills yet? Mine are starting to wind down now but we have had tons to eat... I have some fermenting and most we just eat fresh with salt. So summery! We fill up on those most nights before dinner so we have been eating light as a result which is nice.

I posted my harvest update in a new thread if you are interested :).

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Both my Scotch Bonnets were overwintered and set tons of pods early enough, I consider these a huge success, better than other overwinters I had.

When I left for 2 weeks vacation a month ago, the pickles were just starting to fruit. I think my mom picked a few that were growing into swollen spheres while I was gone. I was able to pick enough to make a small batch of pickles.

I just threw in some garlic, dill and mustard seeds and peppercorns, all swimming in a 4-5% brine. It fermented 5 days at room temperature and got plenty tangy and tastes good! Since then, we've been eating a few fresh cukes and there are several more on the plant, ready in a day or two. I'm hoping it'll produce more so that I can do another ferment. It did not produce as much as I expected so far though.

Even more disappointing this season is tomatoes... Last year the plants were out-of control and loaded with fruits. This year I set up a great support system...which turned out to be unnecessary so far. What tomatoes I have are good and all, but it's not much.

Peppers, leaf and root vegetables have been kicking some butt on the
    other hand, I'm grateful for that. I'm sprouting some fall spinach in
    my cool basement and already have direct-sown Lon Noir Maraîcher and daikon radishes for fall harvest. I will probably try some more lettuce and see how that goes.

I saw and commented in your harvest thread, good stuff!

7 years ago

Nice dills! How crunchy are yours would you say? I didn't cut the blossom end off but will try a second batch to see if that makes them crunchier. Mine have a little snap but aren't crunchy I wouldn't say.

My tomatoes are a bit late this year but I did plant them late so we will see how they turn out. It's quite a jungle in the tomato patch so as long as blight doesn't hit this year they should turn out. My first black krim is almost ripe and those guys are hard to ripen here!

I'm the opposite from you, my greens and radishes were a disaster this year, but mainly due to my mismanagement. I am going to rip everything out in my boxes and start again soon for fall greens. I also grow in the winter in my basement, I have a grow tent and grow tons of greens and a full herb patch. Need to get that started too.

Today we are pressing apples for cider from our trees... This is a very busy time of year!

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

There certainly is some crunch to them, but I don't know how that will change with time sitting in the acidy brine, not that they're likely to last that long!

I grew some radishes and Swiss chard indoors last winter, was fun but the yield was so-so because I was using small round containers. I don't know if I'll do it again this year. I should get some large storage boxes if I do it.

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hot sauce ferment #2 for the season. I have more Scotch Bonnets that I can use fresh, so here's a good way to preserve them. I have 12 SB pods in there along with 4 large orange bell peppers, two fermented garlic cloves and a small mango. Sorry for the flat colours, the lighting is artificial.

I can probably give that one more than three weeks since I likely won't have run out of batch #1 by then. I still have a lot of green pods on the plants as well, to ripen in the coming weeks.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

So, once that is done fermenting, what do you use it for?

Please post back some pictures once the fermenting process is over.

7 years ago

Looks great! I keep trying to remember to use mango.

• bloodtoken83
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the great info still gotta read the blogs and also it would be great to meet a fellow pepper gardener up north I will only have my habenaro and jalapeno and sorano pepper plants which I will be over wintering this year but I got a line on some cherry bomb peppers that I hope will do well next year

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

esox07, the making of hot sauce is almost entirely an excuse for me to make quesadillas! :) I'll sprinkle a bunch in sandwiches, various meats, chili and nachos as well. I might have to gift a few bottles to friend and family as I'll have a good amount.

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I went to get a couple of pictures of my Rocoto pepper pods...

They're coming along nicely and I probably have about 8-10 of them set and growing. Then I heard some rustling in the leaves of the large maple tree above and something fell onto a large leaf of the Rocoto. This is what I then saw:

Wow, it's not often you get to see a live cicada. It hung out on that leaf long enough for me to get lots of pictures and was not scared at all.

I intended to get some pictures of my other peppers, but the camera's battery died. I'll try and get some later on.

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My pepper season is slowly coming to an end, with most plants either loaded with gradually ripening pods or already harvested. The early producers were all overwintered plants: two Scotch Bonnet, three Jwala, one Jalapeno and one mini-sweet.

The Scotch Bonnets produced quite a bit, about 50 pods each. About 90% of the pods are not so phenotypical, but have a look at the later fruits that have set. These are much smaller and squat, with a flat bottom and look more like I'd expect. The first picture illustrates the larger more hab-like early pods and the other two the smaller, later ones. Excuse the poor picture quality, these were taken on my cell phone.

Two of the three Jwala are in their second flush despite the plants being very pale green and yellow and getting defoliated. They still made a second batch of pods and these are just starting to turn colours. The third Jwala was doing awful early on and transplanting it in-ground for a second time in a different spot apparently made all the difference and it is now much larger than either two plants and is loaded with pods. These are still a couple of weeks away from ripening I think. Here's a pic of that last plant.

Other than that, I have the yellow Rocoto pictured in my last post. The mini-sweet and bell peppers are slowly turning and I just eat'em up as they do. I did not remember what colour my bells were going to be; turns out it's orange. The Jalapeno is also very pale and yellow, but it still has 3 pods growing on it.

7 years ago

Those look great isgen! My red scotch bonnet has done nothing so far! It is huge but I only have a handful of pods set, so weird. My yellow SBs plants are slightly smaller than the red but loaded with pods! And I only started the yellow a few weeks earlier. Maybe a bad batch of seeds although the plant is super healthy.

Might be the end of my growing season too, risk of frost tonight and low of 4! Nasty. I pulled off as many ripening pods as I could and moved a couple plants into the greenhouse, the rest I have covered. It's actually 4 right now, yuck! I hope the plants hang on.

My rocotos seem to have a second wind now too since I moved them into the shade. Lots more pods set but not sure they will mature. I guess we will see how cold/frost tolerant they are as I didn't cover them. But they are up against the shop so there is some protection. I stil don't have any ripe ones yet though.

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

End of season is starting to loom over here as well, but I'm not expecting frost in the next couple of weeks ... hopefully! We are getting regular sub 10°C nights though.

I probably still have a couple dozen red and green SB still hanging on the plants. The mini-sweets and bell peppers are finally turning colour en masse and I should be eating lots in the next two weeks. The two smaller Jwala plants have pods turning red, but not yet on the larger in-ground one. I'll likely have to cover that one if no change in two or three weeks or just harvest green pods.

7 years ago

I made jalapeño jelly last night! Looks perfect will try it tonight. You should make some too!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

I made some Habanero jelly one year. It turned out OK, but it just wasn't something that turned me on. Kind of like the Tabasco sauce on eggs kind of thing. It is interesting, but not something I look forward to.

7 years ago

You're right it is more of a novelty item but on a cheese plate it is awesome! Makes a great hostess gift too, people are always dazzled. I also really like pepper jellies to glaze meats. I am going to do a red seasoning pepper jelly and an orange scotch bonnet jelly. They are also very pretty just to look at!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

Yes, that makes sense. When I made mine, I used Habs as well as other peppers in various stages of ripening and color and chopped them up into tiny BB sized chunks. The jars of jelly looked like some kind of decoration almost.

7 years ago

Esox I am dazzled by your canning prowess, those are gorgeous- great pepper distribution in there!! Who wouldn't be super pumped to get one of those as a gift?? I used my food pro to chop the jals, you just have to be careful and only use the pulse or else you will get a puree.

Yeah when I do the SB version I will only use 1 or 2 SBs and then supplement with another orange sweet pepper. For some reason I have tons of orange peppers this year, I am lacking in reds.

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh yeah, jelly is something I have to try for my extra Scotch Bonnets, I love the stuff on crackers and cheese! That looks delicious esox07!

Here's some ripening stuff and a first sizeable harvest of mini-sweet peppers.

Jwala/Cayenne finally getting red, second flush for that plant!

A few Scotch bonnets still hanging on there. The plants are getting defoliated, but that's alright this time of year.

Colourful mini-sweet peppers!

Harvest of mini-sweet and Scotch Bonnet!

7 years ago

Looks like the perfect combo for a jelly! Gorgeous!

Have you ever made a flavored vinegar? I love using my extra peppers for that. There is one called pique from Puerto Rico that I can't live without now!

Here is a recipe, really you can throw anything in there. It is great to marinate meat, make dressings and slaws... anywhere you use vinegar basically. I even use it as the acid component if a soup or gravy needs a little "something".

http://www.quericavida.com/recipes/puerto-rican-pique/19d97f37-98e5-4ef2-aad4-563f0ed8acaf

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That vinegar thing sound good as well, hobby. I certainly have enough SB's on my counter to make a bit of this and that.

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've started the fall wind-down process on gardening, somewhat. I only had a dozen pods left on the Scotch Bonnets and pulled them all, even some green ones. I harvested another good bunch of mini-sweet peppers and orange bells.

I pulled all my remaining cosmic purple carrots, as a few of them were starting to crack. There's about 8lb of them in that pic. I have another planting that should be good for October picking, hopefully.

I trimmed one of the Scotch Bonnets for overwintering and put in a 1 gal container. That'll be its 3rd season if it makes it, trying it for kicks. The second SB, I trimmed down a whole lot more and might try to make a Bonchi as it's a bit gnarly looking. Here is that one, in a really tiny terracotta pot.

7 years ago

Those mini bells look great! You are enticing me to grow them next year. I love your little bonsai pepper.

We had to cover everything tonight due to the lows and I did a big harvest of all ripe stuff as well. I still have all my container peppers fruiting though.

How are the rocotos? Mine still aren't ripe but they are getting huge.

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The mini-bells (orange ones) are pretty good. The three pictured above are tiny examples, I have several larger ones still on the plants. I can't say these have produced that much. The red mini-sweets more so though.

The Rocotos are nowhere near ripening; I will have to take them indoors for that, but the plants are so huge! At last count, I had 10 pods, 6 of which are on one plant, one has two and the other tow one each. The bigger pods are significantly larger than a golf ball.

I also pulled my cucumber plants, these were really finished. I'm keeping my bush beans as they still produce, these have been awesome this season! Maybe it's a bit late, but I planted some more fall radishes, lettuce and spinach wherever I pulled other plants. My stupid tomato plants have not flowered for over a month, but are now popping some new buds, rather useless at this point...

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    7 years ago

Great pics, Peter! Looks to be a very nice season overall, with a lot of different pepper consumables produced.

Here are a couple shots of my Jwala....such a productive plant. I am a bit overwhelmed by all the pods, so I think I'll be drying most of them. By the final harvest, should be a 200+ pod plant.

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nice, large plant there! I can see how my late in-ground plant might have become about as large as yours had it taken-off earlier. It is still flowering and setting pods; I'm not even counting! I hope some can get ripe before we get night frosts, but I'll be picking lots of green ones for sure.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    7 years ago

Good to use green or red, that's the beauty! The Indian fellow who sent me these seeds, says that he and the locals eat these chiles green, chopped up, with lime juice and salt as a "salad" or side dish. I'm still afraid to try them that way, though.

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mine aren't terribly hot when green and I've yet to try a red one. I realize there probably is some variance between what we're growing though!

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm liking how my mild Jwala peppers are getting ripe on the counter in staggered batches, so I get to choose green or red at any time! They're even starting to dry out, no rot or mold, nice! Several of my Scotch Bonnets went bad sitting on the counter on the other hand.

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've baked a few of the above peppers, finely chopped, into a savory cornbread, yum! Recommended to fans of the stuff!

Alright, it's a wrap for the 2016 grow!

I harvested the Rocotos from the plants as they seemed to be aborting them after that frost. A few have started to ripen on the counter. Only the larger one is really as large as I expected.

I chose the two plants I want to overwinter, trimmed, re-poted them in 1 gallon pails and brought them over with the Scotch Bonnet and mild Jwala under shoplights. That was a few days ago and they already have micro-shoots coming out of certain nodes.

Four plants will be more manageable than the eight I did last winter. I had zero issue with pest last winter indoors. The above are all in new potting mix and I'm spraying with diluted hydrogen peroxide to prevent fungus gnats, which I often get if not careful. Before re-poting, I hosed down the whole plants with the strongest jet I have and gave the roots a soak in a stronger peroxide solution for 15 minutes.

The plants I overwintered last year gave me early crops if nothing more than the yearlings, which is what I'm hoping these two Rocotos will do, considering how long they take to grow/flower/fruit. I think I started my seedlings in late March or early April, but should do so a good month earlier next time. Wow, that's basically only 4 months away, gardening hardly takes a break! I even still have hardy crops going (albeit slowly) in my raised beds and cold frame, so it's not all over still!

7 years ago

Nice rocotos, those look awesome! Have you tried yours yet? I haven't tried mine, I know they will be hot as hades!

I still have all my peppers ripening in my sun room, they are still growing too. I am quite enjoying having perpetual fresh jalapenos on hand thats for sure.

My tabasco and vietnamese peppers I brought into my house to finish off since they were still actively growing and nowhere near ripe- I got home from my trip to find them absolutely infested with aphids in my dining room- ugh! So they have been hosed off and sprayed with hort oil and are no worse for wear.

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey hobby! Yeah, a stated rating of 300,000+ can be scary. The traditional dish of baked and stuffed Rocoto must be a real scorcher! Just use sparingly, preferably with fatty ingredients.

Good luck keeping pest in check on your indoor peppers, it can be a pain! No sign of aphids or fungus gnats on my overwintering plants so far, knock on wood. They're all sprouting new shoots, the Scotch Bonnet being really fast and producing some buds as well!

Pretty much all the Rocotos pictured above are now fully ripe and yellow. I've eaten two of the smaller ones in scrambled eggs. While they have quite a kick, it's not as much as I expected, perhaps because they were exposed to cold weather and mostly ripened on the counter? Maybe the larger one will be hotter? They have an aroma distinct from annuum or chinense peppers; fruity and also somewhat smokey, at least that's how it felt in the eggs. The seeds had yet to turn black, but were getting brown. Thick-fleshed and juicy, as expected.

I'm down to a handful of mild Jwalas too. They've pretty much all dried up and got ripe on the counter to boot!

Also, I've finally made a jar of pepper jelly, using 3-4 of my frozen Scotch Bonnets. That's good stuff on crackers and cheese! Other ingredients are bell peppers, onion, dried apricot, vinegar and a frightening amount of sugar.

7 years ago

You're a brave soul eating them in eggs! My big red ripe ones look gnarly that's for sure!

I am going to try this mayo based sauce...

http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/saladssidedishes/r/Spicy-Rocoto-Pepper-Sauce-Crema-De-Rocoto.htm

Pretty sure I have tried a similar sauce at an El Salvadorean restaurant here in town and it was great in a carnitas style taco! And you are so right, something creamy is required to cut the heat. Maybe instead of mayo sour cream though? Or a combo of both?

I still have to make my scotch bonnet jelly, the apricot is a great idea for some texture. Yes I know the amount of sugar required is crazy but is apparently required for safety. Anyway you only eat a tiny bit at once so don't feel too bad.

I still have reapers and bhut jolokias in my freezer from the 2015 season! I'm such a wimp. What should I do with them? I got even more bhuts this year too!

• isgen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

For all I know, my Rocotos might not be all the way up to the expected rating. I don't have a taste reference for pepper heat really, all I can say is one of my Scotch Bonnets eaten whole had me sweating and drinking milk for 10-15 minutes. While I've not eaten a whole Rocoto, bits of flesh are less hot than the same amount from my SB's and even more of it in eggs burns less than SB as well.

Mayo works well to tame peppers, I guess sour cream would help as well. I slather it liberally in breakfast wraps, with egg, cheese, a tortilla, with one large, whole SB.

I was told the dried apricot goes a long way to thicken the jelly, lots of pectin I guess? Yeah, the sugar does preserve the jelly same as salt would, by osmotic action. What little vinegar goes in likely does not lower PH enough for shelf stable canning. I didn't hot water bath mine, but do keep it in the fridge.

Reapers and Bhuts - use one at a time in large batches of chili perhaps? I'm not sure I'd know how to use them either!

Sponsored
Zanesville's Most Skilled & Knowledgeable Home Improvement Specialists