SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellbell5555

Possible Rose Rosette Disease - Help!

kellbell5555
7 years ago

Hi All, First time poster here (even though I lurk all the time!) I noticed this strange growth on one of my roses the other day and fear it may be RRD. I've tried looking at lots of other photos but am still unsure if it is RRD or damage from some sort of chemical. For reference I do not use any sort of herbicides/pesticides in my garden but we live near a field and I have neighbors who could of very likely used it in their yards. To me it looks like the telltale witches broom but I'm hoping it may be something else. Any help ID'ing would be great. I only recently got into roses and have 30+ that I have purchased over the past 4-5yrs. Lots of them are have just recently started to show their potential so I would hate to lose them. Thanks in advance. *Please ignore my weeds. I just had a baby and with bedrest and c-section have been out of commission the past few months.

Comments (63)

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Patty, no need to apoloziged, ok, I ll do that, thank you for your advice,Im in Kansas.

ANN,ok I will give one strike before I dig it out, I hope I have no more rosette.

Thank you so much for both of you, and yes Ann , Im lucky I found this website and nice people who care to help and know alot about roses , especially rosette, people in Kansas doesnt know about it and they doesnt really help.

I ll leave my rose a while and I ll let you guys know .

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    7 years ago

Thank you Redroses you are too kind.

• Related Discussions

Help, rose rosette disease

Q

Comments (6)
    I had a few leaves like that, too. It's hard not to panic, thinking is it the early, early stage of RRD that hasn't been documented? Sometimes I'll pull the leaves off. Maybe it's environmental or another insect or spider? I am glad you posted this question and I would like a definitive answer instead of my speculation.
    ...See More

Possible Rose Rosette Disease on Old Blush? Please help!

Q

Comments (25)
    I have a gut feeling that the Old Blush may have Rose Spring Dwarf. I have seen it on roses and I've finger pruned all the growth off and had it come back normal. What makes me think this about Old Blush is that all the growth looks the same. RRD doesn't do that. It starts at one site and moves out. Looking at the canes on OB, they were all good last fall; also the leaf margins are normal, without the odd patterns that are so common on RRD infected growth. About the Purple Splash, the two close ups are of leaf axil breaks with bad (as in lethal) canker problems. That is a deeper purple than we usually see, but I'd expect that depth of color is more of a BC thing. Solution is to cut off below the cankers; the one at the end of a cane is easy; the second one farther down on a cane is probably going to spread and gird the cane. The problem with leaving it is that the final death may come later in the summer and will be less likely to be replaced this year. The real problem with canker is that nobody talks about it .....much less talks about what they see in their own gardens. It's out there and common. I take major efforts to clean my secateur blades whenever I cut into (or even near) canker, because I've seen in the past how I've spread it to new areas when I've pruned fast and furiously.
    ...See More

Need help...is this Rose Rosette Disease?

Q

Comments (9)
    Rose Rosette is diagnosed by degree of thorniness, strangely elongated leaves, malformed buds, and strange bundles of excessive growth (witches broom). It is not a foliar disease (disease of leaves). That said, leaves can tell you a lot. Most roses change in appearance as they adjust to your conditions and soil. Best not to over react! Be patient and let them settle in.
    ...See More

Both of my roses have Rose Rosette Disease

Q

Comments (12)
    I am SOOOO sorry to hear. RRD was one of my concerns that sorta kept me growing roses years back Right now, I think I might have boxwood blight. Took some cuttings for analysis to get confirmation. Sadface on , as these boxwoods I have nurtured since they 3G sized to full grown....and they grow like a measly few inches per year at most. I hate the diseases we speak about cause it's not a single plant virus/disease. It can setback your hardscape by wiping out X Y Z
    ...See More
  • jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    7 years ago

Sorry about your roses. I would probably hold on for a year before you plant another one on the same spot.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

JJ peace, thank you , I did that, I wait 1 year and I plant the new rose 2 foot away from that spot, and still got RRD .But I love roses too much, one died, 10 more coming to my garden lol, Im still learning and wont give up lol.

• stillanntn6b
    7 years ago

Redroses,

That spot may have an airflow problem that you can't solve. This winter see if snow gets dropped there by most common wind directions.

A friend of mine had a similar thing happen on the north side of her arbor. Way out on a canes, the rose got RRD. The site was above a fresh water spring, so the rose had a great place to live, except that meant that the disease spread fast through that climber. She took it out, waited two years and replanted with a different rose. When it got large enough so that its canes went up and over the same arbor, the new rose got RRD at the same over the top location as the first climber. Her solution: clematis there, roses elsewhere.

I have one polyantha bed that is more likely to get RRD than others, and I've done some stuff to try to keep the upper surface of all the roses there at about the same elevation. So far no more RRD there after losing four of the polys there over eight or so years.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Ann,

Ok I ll check that on winter, I never know that,no wonder I always have RRD in the same area for 4 years, here I sent the pics of my back yard rose garden , so I can stop what I did wrong and just be happy with my garden just like you, Ann ( I wish).

My rose Garden

The back area that keep getting RRD.

Thank you Ann, sorry keep bother you with all my questions

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

And I just found This , I hope this not RRD

7 years ago

I promise you that looked at your photo very well and that is a good cane. As long as there is nothing that appears odd towards the top all of the leaves. thorns, ect. are normal.

7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I just looked at your top photo of the troubled area. In my opinion it is a mite trap. Where I live there are no prevailing winds so to speak. They come from any and every direction. So I only have basic things that I can do to help prevent mites dropping on to my roses. That appears to be a spot where the wind would swirl. Any mites that are carried by the wind can be knock out by the house. The short wall and house wall on the opposite side could create a swirl that may be keeping the mites by your roses longer. It is also tripling the chances of a mite dropping on them. Technically we could place rose out in the middle of nowhere and it could still be hit with a mite. But that is a bad spot for your roses. They would stand a better chance out in a bed away from the house or a fence.

I'm not sure that I'm saying things correctly or not. To the best of my ability I think I have done the best I can to reduce my chances. I'll be back.

I need to go get things done. I will be back tomorrow to share what I've done and what is working well here. My land is different than Anne's. Mine is basically a flat lot in a small city. I'd be happy to share what I can.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Patty, thank you to answer my question very clearly, here the pic of my top new big cane, I agree with you , I think is normal, I m just being to paranoids sometimes lol.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Patty , I show my husband your opinion about my trouble area, we think you are right, why I never think like you before? Well now I learn smth, ,we ll gone spread the rose next year n move it to my new bed,so the RRD will stop.

Yess, I ll love to see what your garden look like and do you ever have RRD problem? Can that go away?

thanks

7 years ago

Redroses, yes I have had lots of rrd. I had the most cases more than 12 years ago. Had no idea what was wrong with them back then. If not for Ann I might have lost them all. I was so sad at the time that it took a long time before I added more roses again. Instead I added many other plants daylilies, perennials, clematis, hostas ect. Then I read every thing I could about gardening. This is not rose related but it made since. A garden full of many types of plants would be healthier as it would attract a variety of insects. The bad insects are here but now I have many good insects that eat them.

Back to the awful rrd here is my best advice. I'm not saying it's right but that it works for me. Look at your roses 2 times every day possible. Peek out the windows at them whenever your by a window. Pay attention to how they grow. The normal color of new growth. The more you know about your roses the easier it is to notice rrd when it first starts.

I get one or two cases every year now but seldom lose a rose. Most new rrd infections start towards the top of the rose. They like to reproduce in tender new growth. If they are infected with the rrd virus the disease will begin where they feed on the rose. As soon as I see something very rrd looking I remove it down below the odd growth. If you can have someone hold a bag for you so it goes straight into the bag. That way there is less of a chance that you may knock one of the buggers onto another rose. Shut the bag and head straight to your garage tie and place in the garbage. Then I would go back and follow that cane down as far as you can to the bottom and cut it off. It takes a while for the rrd to travel thru your bush. So you have probably saved the rose from death. There is more if you are not sick of me yet. I am a slow typer and must get some things done now. I will be back. I'm sorry this was so long.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Kellbell, I'm sorry I post so much in your page , I hope I dont bother you.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Ann, Im glad I found you, please share more with me, Whenever you have time. I start growing roses 10 years ago never have RRD until we move to a new house and 2 years ago I start losing my roses coz of that, I lost 4 roses so far .

yes, I look my rose everday, I put so much effort , thats why is so deppresing when I see RRd n when I have to dig it out.

Thanks for the advice yess, I will do all of that.I learn alot from my mistake.People around me dont know alot about RRD n dont really care.Thats why Im so happy I found this website. I wish I know how to post a topic to in a new page lol.

• kellbell5555
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't mind at all! Like you I want to learn all I can about RRD so that I can hopefully save my roses. I only started growing roses about 5 yrs ago but was hooked after buying my first Austin. RRD is still pretty unknown around me as well. Since discovering my rose was infected I've only found 1 person who knew what I was talking about and she was visiting from KY! Any more info Ann or Patty can provide on early signs is great. I'm still having a hard time distinguishing between RRD and normal, new growth. Doesn't help that I'm super paranoid that all my roses are going to get it! I'm at the point I think everything is RRD!

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Kellbell, same here yess me too hahaha, I cant tell the difference and get stressfull alot lol.

7 years ago

I got so much done today. Planting season, dividing perennials and just having outdoor fun again my house suffered. So nice to have the entire place totally clean again.

So besides my constant watch over my babies, I also no longer put roses up close to the house. Maybe a looks a little funny in some places. You really can't tell unless a person stands in my yard. All of the roses are 4 feet away from the house.

Should you ever have any doubts just ask on here. It really does not matter how many times. I have one rose Home Run and I love it. Sometimes that rose can put out growth that is so much like rrd that it amazes me. I can't even tell if it's okay. So I just keep an eye on it until I know she's okay. Ann Peck's rrd web site is as accurate on rrd as anything I have ever read. Thou I must admit I don't understand all of it. Any questions just ask.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Ok I ll do that, thanks for everything PATTY!!!

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Hi Ann and Patty I just found this weird looking new grow from the same bush which have posibble rossette, remember on june I cut the sick cane all the way to the base , this new grow come from different cane in the same bush. Is it a rosette or am I being paranoids can you both please help me? What should I do? Thanks

• stillanntn6b
    7 years ago

Redroses,

On this one, if it were mine I'd wait. I'd watch for the shapes of the new (currently red leaves) and I would expect them to be green by the end of next week. I would check them every three or four days and try to remember if my garden has had a good rain associated with a storm with thunder and lightening

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Ann,ok I will take a picture again by the end of next week, I hope it will turns green,and yess I ll remember that. Thank you so much for your help, I really really appreciate it, Thank you.

7 years ago

Ann, what about those stipules on the top of the last photo? Red roses if it gets any stranger post sooner.

Redroses, on the top left side of your last photo. What is the fat reddest lateral up there growing from. Lets just say I'm paranoid with you.

• stillanntn6b
    7 years ago

The really wide spacing of the internodes and the canes turning healthy green quickly might explain the leaf shapes. It's almost as if the cane is so healhty that the leaves can't keep up. With midsummer heat and maybe massive rain, I worry about this, but the cane looks so good right now.

Remember the "leaf" growth at the base of most canes....really close together and often not even noticed before they fall off, shaded out by bigger leaves.

If that cane were/is extremely flexible from the top to the bottom??????

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Patty ,I know, Im paranoid , everthing I see its seems rosette to me,I hope Im wrong and the nightmare is over, thanks for your concern.The fat reddest growing from normal cane.I ll post more picture soon.

Ann, thanks for all the information, I keep my eyes on that rose until the end of next week and let you know. I

7 years ago

Thank you Ann and Redroses

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Hi Ann and Patty this is a new pics of my new grow since last thursday, the other cane turns green but the leaves still red, its 4 more days, Im praying, hopefully is not a rosette.

But if it is , is ok too, Im ready to dig it our before its too late.Thank you so much for all your guys help.

7 years ago

Oh my gosh I positively hate this. Do you know the name of this rose? Is there any chance that you remember what new growth used to look like on the rose.

The leaves on the cane that you were waiting to see them turn green. They look like they are dying instead. Did all of that grow in the last week? What do you fertilize with?

Best to wait for Ann because I really don't know. I try the best I can to watch the roses I have so that I can recognize color and growth that is not normal.

I hate the way the top of the tallest cane looks. Not because it's bright red but it looks like a witches broom forming.

7 years ago

Most of the growth looks fine except for being slow at greening up. I should add that if this were rrd. Then rrd is changing its looks.

7 years ago

Good grief I forgot to tell you how beautiful you red rose is.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Patty thanks for the compliment for my red rose.That bush is Fragrant Plum, I planted it last year. Yes, it grow from last week, I did not fertilize it since 2 months ago because Im not sure this rose is healthy or not. I have all the pics from last year , this fragrant plum was normal last year and on spring 2016 after I prune it , its start the witches broom forming. So sorry I fell like I ask so much questions n bother you alot. Thank you so much for your patient.

• stillanntn6b
    7 years ago

I am sorry, but I don't know. I haven't seen that before, especially not in the middle of summer or with that many breaks on individual canes. What I'd be watching for now is when and where newest buds occur.
    The orderliness of rose bud appearances is almost always top bud appears, opens and as it's opening, buds just below it are maturing.
    The color of the petals also is to be watched for.

I just don't have the experience to make an educated comment on this one.

7 years ago

Redroses you do not ask too many questions. I just looked at all of the photos that I could fined online of your rose. I found one that showed bright red like yours.

I just don't know. On your last photo is that a leaf set pointed downward or another new lateral staring to grow. That would make three in the same place. I still do not like the center tallest cane.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Ann, thank you so much for the advice, I will do that.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Patty, yes me too, I will wait until sunday, and I will cut to the base or dig it out if the leaves doesnt turn green, I cant sleep well now coz Im worry about my other roses , lol . Im just a beginer and I learn so much from you and Ann, thanks.

7 years ago

Relax I still think it's going to be fine. It just is not acting like rrd. Don't forget to show us your beautiful rose when it erupts into bloom.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    7 years ago

I thank everyone for these posts. Redroses, please know that we all learn from the answers you receive. I live in fear of this disease, but it's forced me to really notice my roses as individuals and appreciate what's normal for each particular one.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Patty, thank you, I ll do that, I learn not to give up, even I almost cry hahahaa. You too, I want to see your beautiful roses too.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Vaporvac, thank you, you make me feel so much better, Im glad, we all learn from this post. Yes, I agree with you. Couple years a go I lost many roses coz dunno what is rossete , now I want to catch it as early as posible. But sometime I got too paranoids lol. Well summer almost over I need to sit down n enjoy my roses :) Thank u every one .

• rosecollector
    7 years ago

Redroses, if you, and others, could see some of my roses now you would swear a lot of them had RRD. But they do not. I see the three buds at the top on a lot of mine and I assure you it is not RRD. Lots of reasons why that I will not go into. But mine are on Fortuniana, I am feeding them heavily in preparation for a show this month, and we have had lots of rain, and lots of heat when it was not raining. You get weird growth with all those things. It may be partly varietal too. I think your rose are fine and I would hate to see you cut off what looks to be a big, good, healthy stem. Wait longer than til Sunday.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Rosecollector, thank you, you make me feel so much better, Im so happy I'm in this group, so many nice and very smart people here. Wow Good luck for the show, I wish I can go to one of the rose show, is boring here,we never have rose show or any class for growing roses. Yeah I forgot that the rain make the rose grow weirds sometime, thank you for all the info.

• stillanntn6b
    7 years ago

Rosecollector,

When you get red leaves on roses on Fortuniana, how long does it take for those leaves to become green?
    I do remember Jonny Becnel showing us roses on Fort where the canes' diameters were illogical, but I don't remember his showing the reddish leaves.

By the time that buds are developing do you still have apical red leaves?

Thanks.

• rosecollector
    7 years ago

I honestly can't remember since I usually don't pay much attention to that kind of thing. I can look at them this weekend and get back to you after that.

• stillanntn6b
    7 years ago

That would be much appreciated. I haven't grown show roses in a decade so I have no idea what the new ones are doing, much less how they are growing on fort. And any info we can get and share from zone 8 will help understand what's normal in very hot summers.

• rosecollector
    7 years ago

Ann, I have tons of buds with red leaves below them and they look very normal in every other way. That's apparently just they way they do when there is a lot of new growth that has been pushed by weekly feeding. This is on Fortuniana grafted ones as well as own root minis and minifloras.

• stillanntn6b
    7 years ago

Thank you. The roses (HTs) I tried on Fort about ten years ago never scared me with red leaves and that was when we were just five years into RRD and red growth scared us badly on tea roses.

• Ty_GA_8a
    7 years ago

Hello. I need to add my picture to the mix. Is my plant doomed? From reading this forum I'm guessing that this is RRD. Thanks for your help!

7 years ago

Yes it is an advanced case of rrd. Try to remove asap to save your other roses. Be careful cutting and bagging to avoid knocking the mites off. Bag cuttings immediately or the mites will leave the rose to blow in the wind to another rose. I'm sorry so hate to see anyone lose a rose.

• Ty_GA_8a
    7 years ago

I was afraid of that. Thanks. I bagged and removed it. Hopefully, it doesn't get to any others.

7 years ago

If it is possible watch your roses very closely now that the mites have made to your yard. Then if you can see it earlier saving the rose is definitely possible. Seeing rrd can be so darn hard to spot on Knockouts because there is no big color change early on. Best wishes and good luck.

• stillanntn6b
    7 years ago

Also look upwind of your yard. The mites came from somewhere, on a puff of wind.