SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elissa_norris

Seeking Advice after repotting in Gritty

Elissa Norris
7 years ago

Hi, I'm reposting this ( never heard back from Al but it may have got lost at the bottom of another's feed) but hopeful This could help...So I live in Houston Texas- which means relentless rain showers between times of sunny humid conditions. One question I have is if I could slowly move these FLF's out from under the patio (where they get direct sun now after about 3 or 4 pm on) to get direct sun so they can grow faster this summer- not sure if July & August Texas heat will be too much for them though regardless?

So so here is why I am so glad you are helping me:) I bare rooted and reported in gritty mix these two plants 3 days ago ( NOTE it is now one week later and they look a tad worse and have yellowing leaves starting to drop)

Prior they were together in a pot similar to this other I bought below at same time ( just more leafy and leaves had appeared to have had more stressors prior to me owning as you can see but dead spots on leaves)
I'm concerned about the leaf drooping and admit I'm having a hard time staking/ tying these plants in the gritty ( hints them also being propped by chairs) but the reported plants are in the exact same place they were prior to repotting. Day 2 I noticed the dropping and thought maybe it was just over watered from the repot process but today I'm thinking the opposite that maybe it is droopy from the gritty mix drying so fast and me not being use to needing to water with this soil? ( I soaked the mix for 30 min prior to repot) I read droopy leaves after repot are usually from roots drying out but I don't think that could be possible( I repotted by a water hose in wet grass in between rainstorms- roots DID get 'man handled' a lot from me ensuring all soil was removed with light jet spray of water hose and me untangling ( not sure how to avoid that) but made sure to hose them down every 3-5 min and in beteen they were setting on/ in my wet overgrown lawn in air of 99%humidity out of any wind so I don't think there was any evaporation occurring at a justifiable rate ) So Curious if this is from my ameteur root pruning vs them and I getting accustomed to the gritty mix watering vs normal when it can't immobilize in the soil or Normal the first few days period?

Comments (5)