SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

help...Duet codes

mamapinky0
7 years ago

Light was on to add garment..I opened it..suddenly it started draining ..I shut the door and codes flashed real fast....E03&F08....I have no idea what to do...there's noting on the screen now but it won't do anything...help

Comments (83)

• georgect
    7 years ago

Mama, what's the hot water temp. coming out the tap?

Just curious.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

121 now George..but funny the heater works for allergen..the side of the washer gets very very warm for that but sanitize..it feels almost normal on the washers side with maybe a hint of warmth.

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

I am not entirely sure I understand the relationship of sanitize and temperature with this machine. Looking at the manual, the Allergen cycle is NSF certified which guarantees a minimum of 131F held for x minutes. The Sanitize cycle has no mention of the NSF certification which provides for a much higher temperature around 157F. We may be precieving Sanitize as one thing, and Whirlpools implementation of Sanitize with this model may be perception of something different than the NSF protocol. Allergen or the 143F you measured may very well be the hottest it will achieve, which is just fine. There is absolutely no difference in cleaning power washing at 157Fvs 140F. As far as disinfection, use bleach or another chemical quat. The biggest misnomer in marketing is Sanitize eliminates and kills bacteria, viruses, infection disease, when it fact that couldn't be further from the truth.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is pretty much the only thing the manual says about sanitize.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This will lead anyone into believing they will get sanitizing temps....thing that is disturbing...if I run a load on towels us ing hot water and no steam boost the side of the machine gets very very warm same as the allergen cycle. But sanitize the machine stays neutral almost room temp feeling..no heat or at least only a hint.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also I should remark..I wasn't worried about sanitizing..heat sanitization is not important to me..but the high sanitization temps were important for other reasons.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So I need to find a way of finding out if this was indeeda gimmik on this machine or if infact something is wrong.

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

There should be some information in print as to whether the Sanitize cycle is NSF certified. The Allergen cycle is. I just dd not see any reference to Sanitize, and they usually list both. Call Whirlpool and ask.

• poppy214
    7 years ago

Call the dealer and express the specific concern. They should be able to tell you exactly what happens and when. If the computer board is misfiring, better to have that fixed now.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

SIn..I called Whirlpool twice..I was told thereis no technical support available nor can anyone tell me what the sanitize temp should reach or any other cycles hot temp.

Poppy..the service tech was here he's the one that stopped/cancelled the cycle...opened the door, no real steam came out and temps didn't even reach 120..he hasn't encountered this before so is reaching out to whirlpool for advice..I appricated this guys honest admittance that he just didn't know rather than a tech that will mess around not knowing what he's doing lol

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I will say...no ones taking my machine...I understand why its important to know if there's a problem with the computer board.. but..no ones taking my beloved machine. Period.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You recall I called Whirlpool and asked this very question about the temperatures and the cycles. They couldn't answer but did tell me to send them an email to be forwarded to their tech department. You might try that.

This washer gives hot washes on Allergen and reduces drying time. On both accounts it's ahead of the SQ and Roper in terms of results. It's a TOL model. If you'd had a better washer and this was a step down then I could see cause for dissatisfaction. OTOH, say, in theory, it was swapped out for an Electrolux. Then the rinsing is different. I don't feel it's a realistic standard to expect any other washer to perform like a LiGi.

There is a genuine beef, however, with the marketing terminology as it intersects with actual functioning features. They add features to get sales. Once you own the machine that's another story.

If the tech noticed this and he's reaching out, that's very good. You will likely get better results that way than any other.

Re the dishwasher. I when the time comes, I would go right back to the good dealer and see what they have.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Roc, I have no intention of swapping this washer out..not for love or money...no power is taking this machine..not happening. I can accept the temps as is but I need to be sure there isn't something malfunctioning as that could lead to other issues. I will email Whirlpool Thank You Roc. Of course I don't expect it to function like a Miele..LOL..but if it says it has sanitize that kills 99.99% than I'd like to know why mine isn't even reaching hot. I think its important to out rule a problem

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

I agree mamapinky. I would definitely be emailing Whirlpool to see what's up with Sanitize. Betting your good service tech could get answers more quickly. You know, even my Miele has cycles where the heater doesn't kick on at all. Buffalotina was ballistic over this with the Delicates cycle as she wanted a 125F heated wash for underwear. I do as well. Just cannot have it.

But Sanitize does suggest heaviest duty and hot. Perhaps there's an adjustment that can be made. Let us know what you find out. Meanwhile, you've been a quick study. It literally took me months to learn to use my machine.

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

Your 100% correct Roc. Much of what is sold in the U.S. uses some slippery marketing tactics across ALL brands. That's a good machine Pink purchased which should go years and years. This is my number one gripe when professional sites do reviews. Most if not all of the critical information is either not tested, or not published.

@pink - if the service tech would have pulled the tech data sheet (that information lives there) and a quick measurement of the resistance of the thermistor would confirm proper operation with the cycle in question. I am suspecting Allergene is the Sanitary cycle, and Sanitary is either cooler temp duplicate or something else. As a simple test, run Sanitary, Extra heavy, Steam and check it out. 1:21 total cycle time didn't seem long enough to raise the temperature in the 150F range. It would tun every bit as long as the Allergene.

Have fun playing, I did it for over a year. :)

• suburbanmd
    7 years ago

It's interesting that the NSF consumer page about washer and dryer standards specifies temperature and time for allergen reducing, but not for sanitize:

http://www.nsf.org/consumer-resources/health-and-safety-tips/home-product-appliance-tips/clothes-washers-dryers

What's more, their number is 99.9% of "microorganisms", while Whirlpool's is 99.99% of "the most common bacteria found in...". Both are interesting points, but I'm not sure what to make of them.

Since the manual says sanitize eliminates 99.99% of the most common bacteria, and doesn't mention the need for a disinfecting chemical, it sure seems like it ought to get hotter than mamapinky has observed. Maybe the sanitize cycle isn't NSF-certified because it fails the "no significant carryover of bacteria into future loads" requirement, or another detail that Whirlpool couldn't meet for some technical reason.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Roc....I will say at the end of the dayif I should find out the sanitize is a gimmik and is not designed to reach the 150 F temps...so be it..I'm still going to love this washer...I love it now with no hot on sanitize. .but isn't it strange that a normal cycle without steam gets very hot..yet sanitize doesn't..I can't just say well it doesn't and let it go...what if 9 months from now something happens something bad..and it could have been prevented had I not ignored something I thought could possiably be an issue. I'm not looking for a problem..as a matter of fact..if I was told..yes your machine is supposed to reach those high temps and were sorry it can't be fixed but it won't affect your machines other cycles...so be it...its staying..in other words someone needs to confront me with a court order before I will allow this washer out of my custody..haha

• georgect
    7 years ago

The Elux Deep Clean Sanitize states this...

(Do different manufactures have different meanings?)

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok Sin..I just started a load of sheets..sanitize, extra heavy with steam..I'll keep a close eye and report back. Lol. Thank You.

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

There ya go! So is it 152F or 157F? Nobody knows. My machines (Kenmore Elite/LG) Sanitary cycle hits 158F - 159.8 70C-71C. Dishwasher which is Whirlpool hits 158F on a Sani Rinse, although Laundry and Warewash are two different protocols. Both appliances carry the NSF cert label.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

Yep, I agree. Best to check and be sure nothing is scrambled. What I would do as well. Yes, it does seem that Normal gets hot and Sanitize doesn't. Definitely. Hope your tech stays on this as well.

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

According to the NSF website, that Whirlpool model is certified for both protocols.

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

Likely a bad CPU control unit. Have them service it. EZpeezy takes 10 minutes to replace. Only thing it could be.

• boba1
    7 years ago

Whirlpool removed the NSF P172 certification from the Sanitize cycle with this most current models as well as the series of models that made up Mama's product line. I've asked and cannot get an answer as to why it was removed for Sanitize cycle/temperature or what Extra Hot means vs. hot. I've also noticed the P172 certification was removed from the Maxima's new 8200 tol model too. which I'm disappointed in too. the last Maytag TOL Maxima with separate certifications in the manual was the MHW8000A. My WFW97HEX has certification for both Sanitize temp as well as Allergen. That's why I like having Sanitize as a wash temp option that works on whites, Heavy Duty, Allergen, Bulky Items, as well as Specialty Cycles Sheets/Linens and Kids Wear. Because of this flexibility I can have Sanitize for cycles that are fast tumbling as well as medium speed tumbling. That's why I want to know what's the difference between Extra Hot and Sanitize as well as Hot. the WFW97HED is the newer model and only has Allergen P351 certification.

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

If such is the case Whirlpool should be able to provide a reasonable explanation of what exactly the Sanitize Cycle does. It,s pretty shady to have certification accredited and published by NSF, then drop the feature from the line. Thats deceiving to me and had I bought the machine when current, I would have returned it for just that reason. That's just me, and it's still a good machine, but I don,t approve of tactics like that.

@boba - my Kenmore/LG works the same way. Heat can be added to almost any cycle except those restricted by the software. (Delicate, workout wear, Express Wash to name a few)

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My service dealer will have better luck getting answers than I will..I'll be talking to him tomorrow..its clear the answers to this should be a consumers right.

I had a nice phone conversation with Tideman today..I went over all this and how my machine is acting..cool to the touch on sanitize yet HOT on normal

Yes it almost sounds like something is scrambled..so than it gets fixed..because they are not having it back lol.

• Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

I'll try to run a sanitize cycle Monday morning and report back. I've only used it once and don't remember anything specific.

• littlegreeny
    7 years ago

This is a long thread, so maybe someone already mentioned this. It's possible you opened the machine after it started a cool down, hence the lower than expected temps.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Greeny, no I didn't but service tech did.

Sin I tried that test..sanitize, extra heavy with steam..did not bring the heater on until the wash water drained and it steamed.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

WHirlpool is sending a certified tech here tomorrow between 8&4. To check my Duet. These customer help people at Whirlpool can find no info about the sanitize cycle other than what the manual states that it kills 99.99% of household germs..they haven't a clue as to if its done with heat. You would think a company like Whirlpool would have an actual technical support team..could save them house calls.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

Sounds like they don't want to disclose that they made a change after the NSF rating? How could household germs be killed without hot water?

But you will know all when the tech comes. I would sure ask him a lot of "dumb" questions as a "new" user LOL.

If there's no good answer, Facebook should do it.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm going to make a list of my *dumb* questions today Roc, some of which will be dumb and some just because...lol. I think its ridiculous how the functions of washing machines are top secret..it either heats to sanitizing temps or it doesn't..its either broke or it isn't..but some of these companys would rather play games, wasting time and money than just make available simple information that consumers have a right to know.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

There were/are machines without an onboard heater that have a "Sanitize with Oxi" cycle.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

@dados - How can there be a Sanitize cycle without heat? What does the
    sanitizing? Or can they call any cycle whatever they want?

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Dadoes, I think the newer Duets may be the sanitize with oxi...but mine makes no mention of oxi.

• poppy214
    7 years ago

@Pinky. Please make sure those questions aren't too dumb. I had an ongoing battle with GE over similar questions. Because that tech was not swift and claimed there was nothing wrong ( long story short, that machine always danced across the floor ), they wanted to charge me for customer education which is NOT covered by warranty work. Direct specific why doesn't this work questions rather than I thought this was supposed to do this questions. Tech is fixing your machine not telling you how to use it. You (and your friends) already read the manual, tech doesn't have to read/recite the manual to you. Good luck.

• poppy214
    7 years ago

Anybody else notice that allergen and sanitary cycle have become one cycle on the newest whirlpool?

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Poppy..wise words, I understand.

• Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

I'm on the sanitary cycle. At 1:12, I paused it. put my hand in, load was hot to touch but machine was not. Actually, my machine cabinet doesn't feel hot on HD either. When I closed the door after 1 second or so. The cycle reset to 1:41. Since the load was hotter than tap 20 minutes into the cycle, I deduce the heater is on.

• Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

Ok, it's finally back to the 1:12 mark and the cabinet isn't warm but it isn't cool to the touch in comparison to the drier which isn't on.

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

It's odd it even unlocks. I thought LG was the only one with strange quirks. I've been proven wrong.

• georgect
    7 years ago

I know this is not quite on topic but I'll throw it out there anyway (deal with me here a minute).

I noticed today my Allergen cycle seemed to be counting down faster than normal. The default cycle time is 1:13 (that includes three rinses by default) used on the Heavy Duty cycle.

Now the Eluxtrolux does some interesting things with time and I think it has to do with how many volts your house is receiving (which can vary with demand on the electric utility)...I'll explain.

OK, so when I'm using a heat intensive cycle "Sanitary or Allergen" I have seen the washer do one of two things to make sure it's going to reach its target temp.

It will sometimes delay time, usually at the 40 minutes remaining time mark. Meaning it will hold at 40 minutes literally for a few minutes giving the heater time to catch up to the target temp. I've also seen the time jump from 40 remaining minutes to 1:25 remaining minutes. I'm assuming that the voltage coming into the house was not sufficient to raise the water to it's target temp in the time allotted so the washer (either by default or by it calculating an estimation) bumped up the time significantly. Now if it starts reaching it's target temp (152F) faster than anticipated then the timer count down doubles or triples. Meaning it will go from 40 minutes left in the count down to 37 minutes within one minute. It speeds up time in 20 second increments (meaning it will knock off a minute every 20 seconds).

On my desktop computer I have a UPS battery back up with a digital display that gives me electrical information. Today my house is receiving between 121-122 volts usually it's between 120 volts or lower (brown out - purposely caused by any electric utility), so the heater on the washer was able to produce more heat faster since it was able to use more of the available voltage.

Now to Mama's issue...

Mama, do you have your washer plugged into a surge protector? If it is, could it be limiting voltage to the heater? Or is the Sanitary cycle just not engaging the heating element?

Is your house receiving 120 volts or lower?

I use the RCA PSAPP1R Appliance Surge Protector for my washer.

I'm really curious to what your installer and Whirlpool have to say about the Sanitary cycle and the heating element not engaging.

• Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

I had water vapor in my WP 95 at the 1:12 mark. The times on the display seem to be a suggestion since it's now close to finished.

• poppy214
    7 years ago

@georgect If there is a surge protector, I believe the most common utility models (Lowe's special) turns itself off if there is a surge or voltage drop. I live in power surge land. My surge protectors just pop off even if the surge is not strong enough to trigger the whole house surge protector. I frequently have to go around and reset whatever I'm going to use. Most annoying on the computers.

• whirlpool_trainee
    7 years ago

WhirlTag machines that don't sanitize with heat clearly say Sanitize with Oxi on the panel and the manual states that an oxi product must be used. The 95HED should get nice and hot on the Sanitary cycle. Why it doesn't... ?

@ George - they ain't calling it Fuzzy Logic for nothing. ;) My mom's Lux would also speed the countdown up or pause it. My Duet will do its "6th Sense" several times during the cycle, yet, when it has troubles balancing, it will either pause the timer or count down to 0:01 and hold it there until the spin cycle is done. Fuzzy Logic. *shrugs*

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hubs removed the surge protector this morning thinking this was the issue, actually he insisted it was..lol...nope it wasn't.

Whirlpool tech called and said he thinks it will be around 11 tomorrow that he will arrive.

I will be glad to get to the bottom of this....after all one of my main reasons for choosing this machine was because it had allergen and sanitize. Not for sanitization but for the temp itself for occasional use. Now of course if I find out this machines sanitize is a gimmik..than so be it..its staying as I love it...but I don't think that's the case..I really think sanitize and heavy duty got mixed up. We will hopefully find out tomorrow...

Moroseaz..Thank You, I appricate you testing your sanitize cycle.

I also thank all of you for all your brain storming on this issue..your all the greatest.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

Some electronic-controlled appliances nowadays have an onboard surge suppressor (line filter) but using an outboard unit in addition won't cause any issues or malfunctions.

• Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

Pinky, we seem to be the only two on here with the same make and model washer. After reading so many disparaging remarks, I'm more than happy when my washer performs as directed. Go, WP 95!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Think you are correct that we are the only ones here with this make and model..wonder why. It really is a grand machine. For those of you interested in this discontinued Duet..I heard Home Depot found a stash of them in one of their warehouses and are shipping them out to different HD stores around the states. Dont know how accurate that info is but a HD manager seems to be quite sure of this.