SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fpsulli3

No idea how to prune these grapes.

Frank Sullivan
7 years ago

I live near Salt Lake City, zone 6a.

I moved into this home last year, and there were already some established grape vines, but they hadn't been pruned in years, and were severely tangled and overgrown. I had watched a zillion videos on pruning grapevines, but I honestly couldn't even make sense of the mess that I had. So, I basically cut the vines down to the trunk.

Now it's late spring, and they've started to sprout new canes:

http://imgur.com/a/M76mg

These photos were actually taken 15 days ago, and they've grown like crazy since. I suspect that most of these canes should just be cut back again, leaving only a few canes per vine, but I'm not sure which to cut. Do I want to keep the canes that are coming out of the top of the vine? How many should I keep?

Notice, there are a couple of last year's canes that I left that are now producing grape clusters, but they're not necessarily in the right spot (sticking right out of the middle of the vine).

I actually think I'd like to buy a grape trellis or arbor and try to train them onto that, instead of this old rickety fence. The trellis/arbor would have to be installed a few feet away from the fence, though. Would it be possible to train them that far away?

Comments (9)