SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael_pettit56

Would love some advice on my ailing Black Cherry Heirloom Tomato's

Michael Pettit
7 years ago

Hi everyone, new to the forum and appreciate anyone's advice.

Planted 2 black cherry heirloom tomato's in the ground mid-april (woodland hills, CA). Soil is around 7.0PH, full sun, watered via drip line daily (20min).

I noticed a couple weeks ago that 1 was growing significantly more than the other (same conditions). Then the weaker of the 2 started to show some more issues. The leaves are starting to dry out and brown and now the larger of the two plants is showing similar symptoms.

I'm at a little bit of loss in trying to figure out whats wrong so here I am.

couple things:

*In between planting and now, I did prune them (about a month in), snapping off their "suckers" at the branch and trunk intersection. I did the whole plant all at once and things did start to go downhill from there.

*We also just had 3-4 days of near 100 degree temps in so cal.

Also, I'm wondering if i'm watering too much/too little? with the leaves browning, curling up and cracking as they are now, i'm hesitant to stop watering them as I fear they will continue further down the path they are already on.

Just yesterday, I added some Bonide's 3 in 1 spray to them both and will continue to do so again and monitor. I also added about a 1/4 cup of 5-5-5 organic fertilizer and mixed it into the soil last week.

Curious if anyone can help identify my issue from my description and pics below- stress from pruning? watering? fungal? leaf curling?

thanks in advance.

Healthy on the left, struggling on the right.

Now I'm starting to see my healthier of the 2 show the same signs. Should I remove the infected plant to save this one?

Comments (6)