SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doof_gw

My Black Cherry isn't Black Cherry!

doof
14 years ago

This is very interesting. I planted these out from seeds I saved from black cherry toms either last year or year before last. It appears I got an accidental cross. The toms are small, but larger than cherry sized. Salad-sized, perhaps. They are red, not black. They are flattened and slightly ribbed, like beefsteaks. The taste is excellent; it is more like that of a big pink type than a cherry. The flesh is meatier than a cherry but not as dense as some of the big pinks.

I mention this because I'm guessing at the parentage. If the mother was black cherry, as I am pretty sure, and that is how I had it labeled, then I think the parent would have been one of the reds or pinks I was growing that year. I'm going to guess that's either Druzba or Marianna's Peace. Other possibilities are Eva Purple Ball or Burgundy Traveler. From the taste, I would say it tends more towards MP. The Black Cherry was growing right next to MP. I'll sprout some F2 seeds, soon, to see if I get any PL's.

What do you think? Pics below!

First picture I took, about ten days ago. The smaller tomatoes on the left side of the pic are from a Gardener's Delight.

Closeup of same pic.

Trying to find a better example of the flatness and ribbing.

Closeup of same pic.

{{gwi:1354118}}
The first ripe one picked. I ate it last night. The family all got tastes and loved it. It is sweet and tangy and tomatoey.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County