SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veggirl123

Need help finding a non-white backsplash for a White kitchen

Lisa
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm struggling a bit deciding on the backsplash for our white kitchen. We do not want a white or gray backsplash (even though they are beautiful). The kitchen needs to work with the family room decor and colors, and we want something a little warmer.

I'm having trouble finding other inspiration from white kitchens that aren't all white/gray.

Parameters:

• Counters: Millenium Cream Granite. (pic below)
  • The cabinets are SW Extra White, which is fairly pure and bright.
  • Polished chrome hardware and lights, stainless steel appliances
  • The paint color is not decided but it needs to work in the family room also. We like Behr's Riveria Beach in the family room, but it might be too dark in the kitchen, so I'm trying to find a similar color that is a little lighter.
  • We will be tiling a somewhat large area that will hold the hood and does not have upper cabinets. This wall will probably be a focal point with the hood surrounded with the tile wall.
  • We are not sure where to put the tiles yet on our window wall. That is probably a whole other discussion! Regardless, we will probably tiling at least 65sf. I'd like to keep the cost around $1000 ($15/sf) but if we found something we loved, we would spend more.

Current contenders:

• I like the Fireclay Foundations (their cheapest tiles) Gardenia, but my SO wants glass tiles. I've been making most of the final decisions, so I'd like to give him his say here, since he really seems to care. I like some of the more expensive Fireclay tiles more, but that could make the project twice as expensive. If we spent that much, we both need to love the tile.
  • A tan glass tile. We found some light tans at Tilebar.com that seem to work with the granite sample piece that we have.

I've been trying to find inspiration photos to show him how nice non-glass tiles would look, but I haven't found good examples in white kitchens, that are not subway or gray marble tiles.

Granite:

Family room wall (far from kitchen, but it is all open) which will have same paint color. (The paint will be next to this wall, not on it!)

Sample glass tile and sample fireclay tile with the paint color, granite and sample door. I'm not sure the colors are coming through great in this picture. The tan tile is looking a little more green than it does in person on my monitor.

If any one has any comments, suggestions for alternative tiles I might consider, inspiration photos of kitchens with non-white tiles, etc, I am open to anything right now.

Comments (9)