SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fastink

Hydroponic Miracle Grow Tomato Experiment

FastInk
7 years ago

So here's a DIY hydroponic tomato plant growing in perlite using miracle grow and epson salts as it's nutrient solution. Some of you are shaking your head, but understand this was done as an experiment. Just to be clear, MG isn't meant for hydroponic use. (or at least the type I used isn't)

It's using a homemade hydroponic wick system setup in a normal 4 inch pot, (non netty pot) attached to a coffee container, without a bubbler. I didn't think it would survive, and has suffered from the most un ideal growing conditions, and has even surpassed it's siblings.

It was pulled from a 4 inch pot growing with 10 other siblings when it was about 6 inches tall 2 months ago, and has been growing hydroponically ever since.

It grew near a window sill while it's siblings got the best sunlight, here's a shot of it about a month ago, depicting where it grew. It's paired up next to a tomato plant that's a month older then it, which it also outgrew. Growing conditions for this thing hasn't been ideal to say the least.

You'll probably notice the bottom leaves are yellow and dying off, all the tomatoes suffered this due to lack of light and cold temps that shocked them all. It's been growing outside on the deck for the last 2 weeks finally getting some proper light, but is getting hammered with cold days and heavy rain which is flooding the nutrient solution. Surprisingly enough, it's starting to bloom, but I suspect it's siblings will start catching up very soon as the pot that it's in, isn't ideal.

I haven't had time to cage it yet, it was pretty limp and I'm waiting for it to harden off a little more. The new growth is looking just as good as it's siblings. I'll try post updates on it and it's siblings for comparison in the next couple weeks.

btw It's using water soluble miracle grow tomato fertilizer which isn't meant for hydroponic use. Something like 24-16-16, with epson salts and well water. Ph was never tested.

Comment