SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aptosca

Pointers/education on finishing new doug fir millwork

aptosca
7 years ago

Finish work is still several weeks away on my remodel but I'm actually finally getting a bit of time to think ahead.

My design style is Craftsman/A&C. All the millwork, windows, and doors will be VGDF. (Doors and windows finally ordered ...)

All the windows and doors (except the front door) will be coming unfinished.

I'm looking for pointers to begin to educate myself on the the finish I want for this stuff.

From everything I've read, fir, like all softwoods, doesn't take stain well. I'm fine with that, I think. In fact, I don't think I'm looking for much different than a natural finish, though possibly a slight tint, which I'll have to pick? I'm not trying to particularly bring out the grain but neither do I want to hide it. I'd also like it to be relatively light in color, so close to natural? Don't want it to make the house feel dark.

I gotta admit, I'm not sure what is typically used to finish stain-grade millwork, including baseboards. Lacquer? Shellac? I gotta admit, I find myself trying to avoid poly. Without knowing that, I'm not even sure in what way color is applied, if it is.

Comments (11)