SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Soaking in Saturday's Scintillating Show Offs and Shockers

shive
7 years ago

Well, last night I finally got the good soaking rain my gardens needed. There were lots of spots of color in the gardens this morning, and I didn't get everything photographed before the rains started up again.

Sweet Prairie Wind will probably be the best budded cultivar in the red bed. It's one of the few with any lateral branching this time, and the scapes are the registered height. I only have three fans, but every fan has double scaped. The rain caused minimal damage on this ffo.

Incandescent had an excellent ffo. I like the shocking orange with the dark eye and edge. Planted last fall, this Maryott intro has 9 inch scapes at this point. In person the eye and edge look more black than red.

California Classic is another Maryott cultivar I got last fall. It's supposed to be a VL bloomer, so I suspect these scapes were formed in the fall but never got a chance to emerge before frost.

Spacecoast Francis Busby with a nice ffo on nice tall scapes

Beyond the Sea, back from a three year hiatus. I moved this one from a bed that had become too shaded last year. I always liked its flowers, so I'm glad to see it blooming again, although with short scapes and very few buds.

This Longing on ffo - short scapes and not many buds this time

Aztec Headdress with a nice duo this morning. Scapes are about 10 inches shorter than normal.

The Ultimate Sacrifice on ffo, slightly marred by the overnight rain. I'm happy this one has normal height scapes, but the lack of spring rain resulted in a modest amount of buds and no lateral branching.

I'll end with a slice of the red bed. The tall yellow Sweeten Creek is front and center, with the short Crimson Reflections, SC Francis Busby and The Ultimate Scacrifice in the background.

The Ultimate Sacrifice in the middle. Crimson Reflections to the right. SC Francis Busby to the left, and Forever Redeemed in the back.

Debra

Comments (15)