SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux

What are you cooking in June?

MtnRdRedux
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Some of us are often posting about menu ideas. I thought it might make sense to have a regular thread every month on the topic.

I'm having a dinner party end June and I am starting to plan a menu. It has to be a chicken entree, and I'd like to grill. I'd like something relatively gourmet. Ideas?

I have been playing around with the Destrooper ice cream sandwiches. I have made a version with raspberry preserves and chocolate shavings. Tomorrow I am going to try fig preserves and toasted coconut.

Comments (58)

• hhireno
    7 years ago

For any non-mayo people (like me and terriks, I think), here's another potato salad recipe. My mother, who is not known for her cooking, tore it out of a People magazine and asked me to make it. Much to our pleasant surprise (her interest and a rag magazine gave us doubts), we all liked it. We refer to it as The People's potato salad but it's really from Max & Eli Sussman's cookbook The Best Cookbook Ever.

Cook Yukon gold potatoes, drain, cool slightly, mash or dice. Whisk together 1/4 c EVOO, 1/3 c apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp each sugar and Dijon mustard, 2 tb water, and 1 tsp salt. Stir in 1/4 c finely chopped parsely and 1/2 bunch chopped green onion. Season to taste. Gently toss diced potatoes with dressing, add another 1/4 c parsley and the rest of green onion. Serve warm.

• sheesh
    7 years ago

Hmm, does this post fit the op? My dtr is marrying an Englishman in July. He wants to have an "old-fashioned American barbeque" in our backyard for the rehearsal dinner. I'm not exactly sure what that is!

Background: Dtr and fiancé met while each was living/working in Australia; they now live in London. His entire family is coming for the wedding, an entourage of 16, I think. Since dtr has lived around the world these last nine years, we will have guests from S Korea, S Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland. Our own family starts with 21 so it will be a crowd! Estimate is around 50.

Yes, we have a big, private yard. Yes, we have had big parties here. Yes, I have asked the groom what he thinks "an old-fashioned American barbecue" is. I don't think he has any idea. He spent a year in college in S California, so, ahem, I think his idea is a bit different from mine.

We (make that I) have decided that my sons will grill burgers, sausages, marinated chicken breasts and pork chops, a few hot dogs for the little kids. We will have Cole slaw, potato salad, chips and dips, salsa, baked beans. Cookies, and brownies for dessert. Lemonade, and of course, pop and beer.

The problem is that I am a very good cook and want to make my own stuff! Two of my dtrs and two of my dtrs-in-law will be here to help, but, alas, I have a small kitchen. And only one refrigerator.

Anyone care to try to talk me into buying prepared side dishes? In my mind, and on paper, it sure looks like we could do it. Except for one thing - refrigerator space. I have only the one. Party starts at 4:30 pm.

• Related Discussions

How much snow did you get? What are you cooking?

Q

Comments (81)
    Defrost - I wrote a long message this morning that seems to have gotten lost in the ether. There are a several roses that I've grown in the past or am growing now. Many of my current plants I started from cuttings, and you'd be welcome to come take cuttings if you would like. I have found them relatively easy to grow from cuttings even though I don't know much about it. Almost all my roses are relatively easy care, but the Japanese beetles bother all but the earliest. I recently read that water that has had cedar soaking in it will discourage the Japanese beetles when sprayed on susceptible plants, so I'll be trying that this summer since I have way too much field area to treat for grubs. - Rugosa Hansa (previous house along with one other Rugosa) - Lovely scent, easy care, but I didn't get good repeat. - Double white rugosa - Lovely scent, not good repeat, looks like wet tissue if it rains but gorgeous if it doesn't get wet. One of two current roses from Uncanoonuc, and it is grafted. I fight the understock to keep it from taking over. - Apothecary rose - striped red and white shrub with strong rose scent. I fight the understock (multiflora I think) which has come up 8' away from the plant. Early bloomer no repeat. Uncanoonuc. - Autumn Sunset - Gold Climber, good repeat, light scent. Another Uncanoonuc rose, also grafted, and after about 3 years didn't come back after one winter, though I don't know if it was due to voles or it was too cold. I would grow again if it were on its own roots. - Fairy rose - previous house - no scent, repeat (almost constant) bloom, easy care. - Dr. Huey - Dark red climber from understock. Not much repeat. - John Davis - light scent, medium pink, one of the Canadian Explorer roses, shorter climber. Long bloom with lighter repeats continuing. - Lady Elsie Banks - medium pink shrub, no scent that I notice. Repeats well. - New Dawn (probably) AKA George's rose since it came as a cutting from my now-gone neighbor George. Vigorous climber, very pale pink very double flowers, little if any scent (can't get close enough to smell) and wicked thorns that require that it be planted away from paths. - An unknown pink shrub rose that was here at the house when we arrived. Lovely scent, no repeat bloom. Cleanest foliage of any rose I grow, and the foliage has a light scent. Although IME own root roses don't take off quite as soon as grafted roses, in the long run, I prefer them as I don't have issues with the root stock and all my own root roses have always come back. I don't do any extra winterizing. I don't know if Uncanoonuc has any roses that are own root. I added Zepherine Drouin (pink climber) and Westerland (orange mix) this past summer and haven't yet any feedback on them. This winter will test them, but they are both own root, so I have faith that they will come through.
    ...See More

If you are cooking tommorrow.what are you making?

Q

Comments (21)
    Here's a fun dessert I made the first time on Saturday for a dinner party. It was the perfect ending to the evening. This is a recipe from my grandmother, who would be 110 years old, if she were still here to grace my life. She had these wonderful small tartlet molds I used, and they came in all kinds of shapes -- heart, squares, oval, fluted, etc. These molds are small enough that at most you get 2 bites out of the tartlet. This was the first time I'd ever made the recipe or used the tartlet pans (they're aluminum, I believe). I made both chocolate (using Joy of Cooking's recipe for chocolate pie filling) and lemon filling for the tartlets. the guests raved about how pretty they looked and how wonderfully they tasted. "Sandbakelsens" -- Makes 3 dozen tartlets 1 3/4 cup flour 1/2 cup sugar 1/2 cup softened butter 3 Tbsp. water 1/4 tsp. almond extract 1 egg yolk 3 hours before serving (or up to 3 days ahead): Measure flour, sugar, butter, water, extract and egg yolk in medium sized bow. With hands, knead to soft dough consistency. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes till easy to handle. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Shape into 3/4 inch balls. Gently press a ball into bottom and up sides of each tart mold. Work quickly, because as the dough warms up, it becomes more sticky to work with. Prick in several places to prevent puffing during baking. Set molds in jelly roll pan. Bake about 20 minutes till golden. Cook in molds on baking racks for 10 minutes. Carefully remove from molds. Cool completely on wire racks before filling. Fillings: Fill with any flavor -- Chocolate pudding, lemon, butterscotch, etc. Lemon filling: 3/4 cup sugar 2 Tbs corn starch 2/3 cup water 1/4 cup lemon juice 1 Tbs. grated lemon peel 1/8 tsp. salt 2 eggs Mix cornstarch with a tiny bit of water to mix well and ensure there are no lumps. Add rest of the ingredients, and beat till well blended (whisk or beater). Cook over low heat, stirring constantly till thick -- about 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled. Fill tartlets and garnish with a bit of whipping cream and lemon zest.
    ...See More

Rainy day baking and cooking... What are you cooking today?

Q

Comments (24)
    Although it seems like a forgiving dough - I can taste that I cheated on the overnight ferment. Sorry your casserole dishes aren't big enough. I bake in a toaster oven so when my bread rises it burns on top. Another reason P a L'A is good - it spreads out more than up. I brush the bread with some slightly salty water right before it goes in the oven. But I lose that lovely floury rustic surface. Do you have a pizza stone? That helped me get a better crust back when I last had an oven - now I use it in my grill to make pitas. Also I read somewhere or another about using a SS restaurant dish lid as a cloche though I've never seen one large enough. I am currently jealously watching a neighbor build a stone wood-fired bread oven by his pond - the ultimate bread oven. He says he will advise me when I am ready to build one - and I definitely do not lack for rocks. However right now my 'yard' is festooned with logs, brush and firewood piles. Hopefully in the near future the logs will become a woodshed and I can move the firewood inside. Then maybe a bread oven - which will entail moving rocks. I'm tired just thinking about it all. Making some tea and toast and taking a nap.
    ...See More

What makes you smile when you smell it cooking?

Q

Comments (25)
    Roast chicken or roast beef. I don't know when the last time I cooked a roast of beef but I do have one in my freezer. I miss the smell of waking up to bacon cooking. I cook my own so it is not the same as waking up to it. My Dad used to make a great breakfast for all of us kids on Sunday mornings and as soon as you smelled the bacon you woke up. LOL Anne
    ...See More
  • MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

HHireno, I love warm potato salad. And I like the simplicity of yours. I am not crazy about peppers in things, but I love them as crudites (sorry Tibb!). I am making that potato salad for dinner tonite.

As far as my menu for late this month, I kept mulling it over but could not get excited about serving chicken. I like fin fish, in fact when I am eating out in a fine restaurant I usually get fish. But I do not have a trusted local source like I do for so many other things. I decided to try someone local I had not used before, and lo and behold they had my favorite, halibut. DH and I bought just a serving to experiment with grilling it. We made it yesterday and it was excellent! I am so pleased. I've never made halibut before so I made it the way I grill swordfish ( slathered with mayo, honey mustard and chopped dill). The fish was sublime but it is so delicate I think I will do it differently next time. Probably just rub olive oil over it, and serve w lemon parsley butter.

So, onto the rest of the menu now that grilled halibut is a given. I will have to make it last minute and I don't want anything else last minute-y.

So far I have:

Crostini with Pea/Mint/Parmesan Puree

Crostini with Goat cheese, Beet Puree and baby Arugula

~

Grilled Halibut

Wild Rice Salad with Pecans/Cashews/Dried Cherries and Spring Onions (I used to make this a lot but have since forgotten about it .. delish ... this recipe uses figs but any dried fruit works.

Wild Rice Salad

Baby lettuces w/ vinaigrette on the side ... my local organic store sells a variety of whole heads of baby lettuce, about the size of a cupped palm, in tact. They are so pretty, like green flowers. They have mache, red oak, frisee, etc. I love to serve them whole on a long platter i have. I just cut off the very bottom but leave each head in tact

Fresh fruit

~

Destrooper Ice cream sandwiches --- probably two kinds, the lemon pistachio and fig toasted coconut (havent tried the latter just yet).

I kind of feel that I need a third appetizer.

I don't think it should have bread, otherwise I might have made mini pizzas. Watermelon tomato and feta ? Insalata tricolore; mozz, avocado and tomato w
    basil and evoo? But that is so much cheese (the pea puree had a strong parmesan note). What can I make that had no bread or cheese or meat or shellfish as an app?

Do you think the wild rice salad is too fruity/sweet/rich with the fish? I considered fresh corn off the cob but white fish and yellow corn makes a blah plate. Zucchini noodles? I love fennel gratin, but that is last minute-y and if its' a hot day ... and more cheese! I made a yummy Farro Salad last year but that has a lot of parm in it too. I think parm up against halibut in the same course is not a good idea.

• User
    7 years ago

Hhierno, your potato salad reminds me a bit of German potato salad. It's the only kind my dh likes.

Mtn., thought of those lemon cream sandwiches the other day when I was at TJ's. I like their Belgian butter waffle cookies, because they're a little smaller than the Destrooper's. Have a stash of Meyer lemon juice cubes in the freezer. May need to make a batch of curd soon.

We're eating a lot of tomato dishes. My harvest is in full swing. Also enjoying peaches & cream corn, zucchini, peaches and blueberries thanks to the local farmers' market.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

When I grill halibut I make a mango (sometimes papaya) salsa to go with it. I'm not suggesting that, but if you're concerned about the fruity/sweetness of the wild rice what about doing wild rice with mango instead. Mango and halibut together are really good. The mango helps to bring out the slight sweetness of the halibut. I think you're right that the dried cherries might overpower the fish.

• User
    7 years ago

Love mango salsa on grilled fish ... tuna, mahi mahi, halibut ... all good!

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cindy, I have now made the lemon/pistachio, pumpkin/heathbar, raspberry/bitter chocolate and the fig/coconut are in the freezer drawer. I tried the tiny TJ ones, with caramel... but do you mean their knockoffs are a bit smaller? That would be nice, I feel they are a tad large for adults.

We're eating a lot of tomato dishes. My harvest is in full swing. Also enjoying peaches & cream corn, zucchini, peaches and blueberries thanks to the local farmers' market.

Lucky dog, we will need to wait for August for much of that.

BlFenton, Ohh i love Mango salsa .. mango may be the perfect thing for the rice! Of course now I am also stuck on the idea of just mango salsa (who wants melted butter in the June heat) and totally reworking my side dish ...

• User
    7 years ago

Yes, a little smaller. TJ's Belgian Butter Waffle Cookies

Tell me about the raspberry/bitter chocolate version.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

At one time I came across this recipe. I don't care for cilantro so never made it. But I like this version of mango salsa. The cilantro would be cooler and lighter tasting than melted butter.

ginger mango salsa with cilantro sauce

MtnRdRedux thanked blfenton
  • Funkyart
    7 years ago

Ah, Hhireno, that potato salad is very close to our family recipe--ours uses red potatoes and has no mustard. Traditionally it called for 1T mayo but it was dropped many years ago.

Mtn, Halibut is my favorite too-- and I agree, a lighter treatment would be much better. I use a lot of the same combos I mentioned for chicken on my meaty grilled fish... salt, pepper and a little EVOO + juice of a lime, lemon or grapefruit and parsley. I let it marinate while the grill heats up (more and the fish would start "cooking" in the citrus). I also enjoy halibut with grapefruit, parsley and fennel.

I bookmarked a NYT recipe for cucumber melon salad. I don't usually like to recommend recipes I haven't tried but the colors are so beautiful!

The wild rice salad recipe looks great! I just added the figs and nuts to my shopping list so I can try it this week! TY for sharing!

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Believe it or not, Funky, I actually got that recipe from our bank dining room, they made it all the time (though with dried cherries). It is yummy and so satisfying.

ETA ... It is cold and rainy here today and all my kids are studying for finals. I just made them a tongue-in cheek treat I called "Chocolate Chip Cookies Three Ways". I should have take a photo because it was cute.

I served them one fresh-from-the-oven choc chip cookie, and a second one with no chips (since they were kids I always told them how, growing up, my big sister would make me a few that way since I do not like chocolate), and lastly a little "truffle" of raw cookie dough. And of course a strawberry on the platter for color. It was a big hit!

• Sueb20
    7 years ago

My husband, who is not a cook, was told about this swordfish "recipe" from his friend, who is a gourmet cook. Sounds like your swordfish recipe, only even simpler: just mayo and S&P on both sides of the swordfish, and grill 5 minutes (?) on each side.

My go-to simple "indoor" fish recipe is for cod (or probably any similar fish): wrap in foil and bake at 400 for about 15-20 minutes, depending on the side of the fish. Remove from oven, open the foil, and pour about `1/4 cup melted butter over the fish and sprinkle with salt and pepper and just a few sprinkles of seasoned breadcrumbs. Put back in the oven for 5-10 minutes until cooked through. We like our fish cooked very simply...obviously.

Once the weather is finally nice consistently, we try to grill as much as possible. We like putting fish or chicken on skewers with veggies. If you haven't tried grilled pineapple...try it. It's so good!

I made a great dish last week with salmon and farro...I'll find the reciple and include a link to it.

• Sueb20
    7 years ago

This is the recipe I just mentioned. My whole family loved it.

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-farro-bowl-with-crispy-salmon-and-toasted-sesame-spinach-227132

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

Oh my gosh, Mtn. Chocolate Chips 3 ways! That's awesome.. and I swear, I thought I was the only person who doesn't like chocolate!

Sue, cod is my standard "indoor" fish too but that farro bowl sounds great!

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

SueB, I agree on grilled pineapple, wunderbar. I like your fish recipe with breadcrumbs. I am kind of rediscovering breadcrumbs lately, esp panko for its lovely crunch.

Cindy, the original recipe is 7oz creme fraiche and 1/4 c lemon curd with lemon zest. For both the raspberry version and the fig version I kept those proportions, but held the zest. I used Bonne Maman raspberry Preserves for one version and Dalmatatia fig spread for the other. I rolled the raspberry in mini choc chips and in shavings (former was easier, latter looked nicer). The fig I rolled in toasted coconut. I will post a photo.

Funky, I like the cucumber melon salad too... so pretty

BlFenton, I agree. I love melted butter, but not outdoors on a summer evening.

ETA -- maybe I should try dipping half the ice cream sandwich in melted chocolate, or serving it in a puddle of sauce or with the dreaded "spoon push" and sauce on the side?

• terezosa / terriks
    7 years ago

For any non-mayo people (like me and terriks, I think)

Yes, it's me. Apparently I'm known far and wide for my mayonnaise aversion.

:-D

You potato salad recipe sounds delicious!

• hhireno
    7 years ago

Terriks, since we seem to be the minority in our mayo aversion, I felt a connection to you. It's you, me, and my, obviously smartest, nephew. I hope you don't mind that I outed you.

I also strongly dislike bacon so that potato salad is great because it doesn't rely on bacon for flavoring, like many German versions do.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I forgot to mention -- I made that potato salad and it was excellent. Thank you HHireno

I used Yukon Gold, which I think would be a must --- you need really good potatoes because it is simple and it showcases the potato flavor rather than drowning it in mayo or masking it w bacon.

The first line did confuse me:Cook Yukon gold potatoes, drain, cool slightly, mash or dice. . Mash?

• User
    7 years ago

Mtn., thanks! I may try the raspberry. I like the idea of rolling in chocolate. I don't bother with the pistachios on the lemon version.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

It's almost time for our garden to start producing, so I can't wait to have anything with tomatoes, fresh corn, cukes and okra. On vacation we recently were served a bloody mary with pickled asparagus instead of the usual celery and DH fell in love, so I'm going to try to replicate that. The asparagus must be just the right size though. And pickled okra is a must around here. If you haven't tried it, don't knock it.

We grill a lot, and love grilled zucchini and yellow squash. So easy to grill ahead for a crowd til just nearly done and warm before serving. Can throw some onions in there too if desired.

Mtn, your ice cream sandwiches have me drooling (and wishing for a TJ's nearby)!

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Outside, you must make them. You don't need a Tj's. I make mine with these, which are in more stores then I ever noticed before : [http://www.amazon.com/Jules-Destrooper-Butter-Waffles-3-52-Ounce/dp/B000FBM54S?ie=UTF8&;Version=1&entries=0(http://www.amazon.com/Jules-Destrooper-Butter-Waffles-3-52-Ounce/dp/B000FBM54S?ie=UTF8&;Version=1&entries=0)

I have never had pickled asparagus!

MORE RUMINATIONS ON MY MENU...

SO now I am thinking Halibut with Mango salsa

I don't want to repeat the Mango in the Wild Rice Salad, but dried fruit may be too strong. And maybe the nuttiness and meatiness of the Wild Rice Salad is to much for the delicate Halibut.

I just came across this ....Lemon Pasta . What say ye?

• amykath
    7 years ago

Wow, some yummy recipes here! You are making me hungry!

This is always a hit. My husband makes it. People always want the recipe after they eat it.

Here it is...

Couscous Salad

1 ½
    cup chicken or vegetable broth (to cook the couscous in)

1 cup couscous

1 can chickpeas rinsed (they have a skin
    on them that you should remove by soaking in water and hand removing the skins)

3 green onions chopped

1 pepper – green, red, orange or red (I
    usually put one of each in there)

1/3 cup of dried raisin, or dates or dried
    cranberry

½ cup of almonds (crushed up)

dressing

½ cup olive oil

¼ lemon juice

½ teaspoon of curry

Boil the broth, add the couscous remove
    from the stove and let stand with the cover.
    When the broth is absorbed, mix with the other ingredients and add the
    dressing

• hhireno
    7 years ago

Mtn: the recipe actually states dice or lightly mash potatoes into small pieces. I always chop them up. I should have either fully quoted the recipe or just wrote chop, but I'm a lazy transcriber. I've also made the salad with chives and tarragon from my (first ever) herb garden last year. While drinking a nojito with mint from that garden. I was Farmer HHI last year.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

oohh, I was wondering if there was such a thing as warm mashed potato salad!?

ETA --- I would like to learn more about how professionals put together a menu. That is, what would a professional chef serve with grilled fish, and why? How would they start or end the meal? The general philosophy behind it. I have tried googling this but I either get research on food pairings (not the same thing) or on designing a restaurant menu (not just one dinner). Or tips on how to make it easy (I don't want to make it easy, but I will be sure that the timing works).

I have to imagine there are certain principles involved. Some I know ... balance color, textures. Don't over repeat an ingredient unless it is a theme. etc

But I keep thinking I just don't know the right search terms for my quest. Anyone?

• LynnNM
    7 years ago

We like to grill out a lot during the warmer months. Tequila Chicken, which is probably the same as Mojito Chicken. I use only skinless, boneless chicken breasts when I cook, and so I marinate them in a mixture of tequila, olive oil, garlic, fresh cilantro and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else. I'll grill steaks and then slice them up for a steak salad using arugula, red onions, capers, parsley and Parmesan.

We eat a LOT of fish and seafood year round. We have what I think is the best fish cookbook around, "Great Fish Quick" by Leslie Revsin. I've gotten many great recipes out of it. We make fresh Sockeye salmon pretty much every Saturday evening, buying about a 1 1/2-pound filet, so that we have a portion of it Saturday evening for dinner with one of many sauces in her cookbook. And then I serve the remainder of it, chilled with my Yogurt, Dijon, Caper sauce for lunch on Sunday.

Here's one of my favorite of Revsin's sauces:

Basil Vinaigrette Sauce

• 2 cups packed basil leaves
    • 1 garlic clove
    • 1/2 teaspoon drained capers
    • 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
    • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    • salt and pepper to taste

Puree all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve at room temp with salmon or your favorite fish.

I also like to make shish kebobs to grill out. We're cutting back on red meat, though, so I'm making more salads, more chicken, fish and vegetarian entrees these days.

I'm make up a big batch of turkey meatballs and then freeze them to use in quick soups. Italian Wedding Soup, or my Quick Santa Fe Meatball Soup:

• 4 cups Swanson's 99% Fat Free Chicken Broth
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 6 baby carrots, thinly sliced (for quick cooking)
    • 1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper
    • 1 large plum tomato, diced
    • 1 4-oz can of chopped green chiles (Hatch or Bueno, preferably) , with any juices
    • 115-oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
    • 1 cup chopped kale
    • 24 turkey meatballs
    • Garnishes: lime wedges and fresh cilantro

Directions:

1. In a medium pot, add chicken broth, bay leaf, cumin, and carrots.
    2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
    3. Add bell pepper, tomato, green chiles, black beans, kale and meatballs. Bring to a boil once again; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 more minutes. Serve with above garnishes.

* Low fat white meat ground turkey can make for one dry meatball. Instead of using breadcrumbs, I add cooked quinoa to mine, (along with egg, parsley, etc.) . The cooked (white/natural) quinoa makes them light and moist.

And, although I'll never give up eating regular burgers, I'm also making Greek Turkey Burgers and serving them on a bed of greens instead of on a bun. Delicious and good for you, too.

Greek Turkey Burgers serves 4

• 1 pound low fat ground turkey
    • 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
    • 1/2 cup crumbled feta
    • 2 small garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 cup frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    • 1 tsp dried oregano
    • 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 1/2 tsp pepper
    • 2 TBSP olive oil
    • salad greens of your choice

Toppings: Tzatziki sauce, sliced tomato, sliced red onion rings, avocado

Directions:

1. In a medium bowl, combine turkey, quinoa, feta, garlic spinach, oregano, chopped onion, salt and pepper. Shape into 4 patties.
    2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add burgers and cook 5-6 minutes per side. Serve.

I serve mine on a bed of mixed greens, sprinkled with more crumbled feta (and more cooked quinoa), and topped with a slice of tomato, onion and avocado and then the Tzatziki sauce.

MtnRdRedux thanked LynnNM
  • LynnNM
    7 years ago

Mtnrd: I've been served a warm mashed potato salad in Oklahoma a few times. I've never had it anywhere else and have always presumed that it was a regional dish. DH was born and raised in Oklahoma, but his mother never made it herself, so I don't have a recipe. Maybe Oakley knows more about it. BTW, I thought it was a very strange dish (LOL).

MtnRdRedux thanked LynnNM
  • LynnNM
    7 years ago

I've just run across another favorite Summer recipe. I've made it before and we love it. I'm actually heading into the kitchen now to make it for dinner tonight.

Warm French Lentil Salad with Bacon & Herbs

When using bacon, I use only turkey bacon. I sometimes substitute torn pieces of cooked chicken breasts, which is what I'll use tonight. I buy my French/green lentils at Trader Joes in the same section as their quinoa, dried beans and pastas. This makes a wonderful dinner entrée that's as delicious as it is healthful. I'm serving it with Caprese and a nice bottle of chilled Sauvignon Blanc. Mmmm!

*edited to add that in my laziness to just add the link to this recipe instead of typing it out, I forgot to mention that when I make this, I've changed it from the original a bit. I've cut down the garlic to only 2 cloves, and the fresh rosemary to one big sprig. Sorry, I have it changed in my personal cookbook and on my website, but didn't think to check before posting.

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

I love lemony herbed pasta.. but I don't think that's the right side for halibut. Before I say more though, I should add that I rarely make a carb with fish. I am not AT ALL a "no carb" gal but it's just not a go-to for a dish like this.. and not at this time of year. If you really want a carb, I think couscous is too delicate. Maybe an orzo dish?

I am not sure the rice-nuts salad is wrong but it might be a little much for such a meaty fish. Halibut is like a steak.. while the flavor is pretty mild, it has bite and requires chewing (vs a flaky fish). A lot of times you will see it served with a mash.. pea puree or some other mashed veggie. (epicurious has a halibut with pea puree and preserved lemon salsa). Personally, I like a little acid with my halibut.. which is why I use citrus to marinate and to top.

For sides, **I** would do an heirloom tomato salad or maybe grilled tomatoes and asparagus or steamed green beans with herbs, lemon and garlic. I love baby bok choy but you already have leafy greens covered. Grilled or baked fennel would be nice too. It's a great time of year to highlight the market fresh veggies with very little fuss.

I am sure I will get boo'd for this but I think mango salsa is way overdone. Sure, it's good but it is served on pork and fish and tacos and chicken in a LOT of restaurants. That's what struck me about the grapefruit and fennel presentation and the preserved lemon salsa. It's something newer.

Sorry to rain on your parade -- it's not my intention but I think for a "gourmet" meal, you can find more interesting combos.

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

My family recipe that is very similar to Hhireno's uses red potatoes-- and only red potatoes because they absorb the vinegar and oil dressing and the flavors of the parsley and scallions. Also, they are sliced but being red potatoes, they break apart to become a little mashy a little chunky. Next time one of us makes it, I'll snap a photo.

I don't like bacon either but i'd be strung up in a tree if I suggested they drop the bacon! The vinegar does cut the bacon flavor though. I don't usually bother to pick it out.

MtnRdRedux thanked Funkyart
  • User
    7 years ago

Grapefruit and fennel? Strange combo. If it comes down to new vs good that would be a no brainer for me.

MtnRdRedux thanked User
  • Funkyart
    7 years ago

I don't think of fennel and orange or fennel and grapefruit as strange.. I quite like the combo. That said, it's just another suggestion.

MtnRdRedux thanked Funkyart
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Mtn, thanks for the link to the waffles.

I think the lemon pasta sounds yummy. I sometimes buy a lemon orzo pasta salad from Fresh Market. It's different from your recipe though. I have to say, I crave it, but then a little goes a long way for some reason. Not sure why unless it's the evoo which tends to sink to the bottom of the container/dish and gets a bit overwhelming.

MtnRdRedux thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

Citrus (grapefruit or orange) and raw fennel combo in salad is not unusual around here, esp. in NW fresh cuisine, or fine dining restaurants. It would pair wonderfully with halibut. I always pay particular attention to color mixing...fresh asparagus is often served with fresh halibut, as the seasons coincide. A cold asparagus soup? One way to get ideas Mtn is to look at menus from restaurants you love that might serve the dish you are planning.

I agree with Funky - I don't usually serve a starch or pasta or protein type side dish with fish, especially not in the summer. The rice salad sounds good, but wintery to me with the dried fruit and nuts. Pasta is too close in color to the halibut, but if you wanted to do a wild rice salad, it would add a bit more color/texture to the plate. I have this one pinned but haven't tried it - I think it is more summery and colorful.

Servings
    6-8

• 2 (6 ounce) packages long grain and wild rice pilaf mix

• 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichokes (I would use unmarinated artichokes)

• 1 lb tomatoes, rinsed,cored,and coarsely chopped

• 1 red bell pepper, rinsed,stemmed,seeded,and coarsely chopped

• 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley

• 3 tablespoons drained capers

• 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of

• 3 tablespoons lemon juice

• 2 teaspoons sugar

• salt and pepper

• Cook rice until tender to bite, according to package directions, then pour into a large bowl.

• Drain marinade from artichokes into bowl with rice. (* see note below)

• Chop artichokes and add to rice.

• Mix, then stir occasionally until rice is cool, 30 to 45 minutes.

• Mix tomatoes, bell pepper, parsley, capers, lemon peel, lemon juice, and sugar with cool rice mixture.

• Season to taste with salt and pepper.

• Taste, add a drop or two of olive oil if you feel the salad needs it.

Since I dislike the marinade on jarred artichoke hearts, I wouldn't use them, just plain ones, and make my own lemon vinaigrette to put on the warm rice.

MtnRdRedux thanked Olychick
  • blfenton
    7 years ago

I have to agree with funky about the lemon pasta (But I stand by mango salsa with halibut - it must be a regional thing as to being overdone because it definitely isn't overdone here.) I do, however, get tired of the "oh we're having fish so have to do lemon somewhere in the menu".

What about doing a just-a-hint-of-pesto pasta instead?

Having said that, I did print off the lemon pasta recipe as my DH loves all things lemon.

MtnRdRedux thanked blfenton
  • MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lynn, I like the greek turkey burger recipe. I love lentils, DH does not. I can understand why and I don't force it because he will eat it, but it is almost the only thing he does not care for.

Funky, Tomatoes won't be really worthy of a gourmet meal until July or later. That's why I am not doing them. I also want to do a carb because if someone is less than happy with the fish they have something other than lettuce IYKWIM. It could be bread, but I am set on the crostini app.

I hear you about the mango salsa ... and if I saw it on a menu, I'd think it was TBT! I mean wasnt it several years ago that the GEICO Caveman ordered it as a marker of his sophistication, iirc? However .... just like white marble kitchens are more "old hat" in shelter mags than IRL, I think no one expects Halibut with Mango Salsa at someone's house for dinner, or would feel like "oh, that again". If only because my test 6oz filet cost $19. So even though it is not as avant garde as serving it sous-vide, i think it is special/unusual enough.

BLFenton, Yeah, i get that point too about fish=lemon. But once I have salsa on my fish, pesto on pasta seems odd too. Or salsa on the same plate as artichokes.

I have boxed myself into an epicurean brainteaser.

I love love fennel. In a citrus salad, or au gratin with cauliflower. But in my expereince not everyone does like fennel, esp raw. Gratineed is an easier sell.

BTW, I am out of pocket for a few days ... will catch up then

• chickadee2_gw
    7 years ago

My husband and I had the best fish dinner at an Italian restaurant last month. It was one of the night's specials. Now picture this - around the outside of the plate is a circle of pureed leeks. Within the circle is a combination of sauteed fava beans, shitaki mushrooms and 1/4 inch diced pancetta ( a sprinkling ). I asked the waiter and he said they saute things separately so they can customize the orders. On top of that is a piece of sauteed or baked Corvina, a flaky white fish. Reminded me of bronzini. There's also a tiny little bit of drizzled chili oil on the plate. And then on top of that is a good handful of frizzled leeks. They look like this.

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/frizzled-leeks.aspx

I want to try this for company sometime because you can do most of it ahead except for the fish. It was delicious and looks impressive.

Speaking of fava beans. Another restaurant makes a nice combination of sauteed shitaki mushrooms, fava beans and cipollini onions. Some of the onions are sliced and some are left whole. That's very tasty too.

• chickadee2_gw
    7 years ago

Sword fish - This is very good if you don't overcook the fish. It works just as well with black pepper if you don't have the mixed peppercorns. I use the microplane zester.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pan-roasted-swordfish-steaks-with-mixed-peppercorn-butter-232695

• chickadee2_gw
    7 years ago

Halibut or cod - This recipe came from the NY Times. We make it with halibut. A few charred onions and tomatoes add to it I think. It makes a nice sauce if your pan isn't too large. Otherwise, the liquid cooks away. We use more onion than this.

1. BROILED

With Tomatoes and Capers

Set
    rack 4 inches from heat source. Spread a broiler-safe pan with olive
    oil. Add fish. Mix 1 pound sliced tomatoes with oil and 2 tablespoons
    each capers and chopped red onion. Spread over and around fish; broil.
    Garnish: Chopped parsley and lemon wedges.

• User
    7 years ago

Don't get me wrong, I like fennel with lemon (never tried it with orange), but grapefruit doesn't appeal at all. The first time I had raw fennel was in Alice Walters' shaved fennel, mushroom, and Parmesan salad. Saw her cooking in the kitchen with Julia Child. That was MANY years ago.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OTOH, I love everything grapefruit! But a lot of people dont.

• tinam61
    7 years ago

What am I cooking in June? We grill year round but even more so this time of year. Produce is coming in here so lots of that - had fresh corn, cantaloupe and cukes last night with our dinner. (We have a lovely local produce market that goes to Alabama and Florida for twice weekly pick-ups until home grown items are local. We have some early tomatoes this year and cukes too, just starting.) Many types of salads, will be doing taco salad one night this week. Casseroles, soups, etc. kind of go by the wayside this time of year, at least for us.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

There are some drugs that have contraindications with grapefruit, statins in particular. At our age I never serve grapefruit to company, I have no idea who's on Lipitor.

• OllieJane
    7 years ago

Funky, the grilled Caesar salad sounds divine to me! In the 2nd pic...is that a homemade parmesan cracker sort-of-thing? I could google how to make it-if I knew for sure what it was. I've actually had it somewhere-but can't remember.

• LynnNM
    7 years ago

Here's a chilled soup for hot Summer days that's really healthful, too. I've been making it for many years now and just made it again last night to go with our Lentil Salad and Caprese.

Chilled Creamy Zucchini Soup Serves 6

• 1/4 lb. shallots, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 cup)
    • 2 TBS olive oil
    • 1 1/2 -pounds zucchini (3-4 medium), cut into small chunks (I don't peel mine, but you can if you prefer)
    • 1 green bell pepper, seeded, cored and cut into smallish pieces
    • 2 strips fresh lemon zest ( (2"x 1 1/2")
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1/4 tsp pepper (white, preferred)
    • 3 cups chicken broth
    • 2 cups water
    • 1 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
    • 1 TBS finely chopped fresh dill
    • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt

Directions:

1. In a 4-quart heavy saucepan, sauté shallots in olive oil over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
    2. Add zucchini, bell pepper, zest, salt, and pepper. Raise heat to medium. Stir occasionally until zucchini is softened, about 5 minutes. Add broth and water. Bring to a simmer again and cook until zucchini is tender, about 3-5 minutes more.
    3. Allow zucchini mixture to cool to just warm. Add parsley and dill and puree in a blender, IN BATCHES, until smooth. Do not try and puree it while it's still hot!
    4. Allow to chill in refrigerator until cold. Before serving, whisk in yogurt. Ladle into chilled soup bowls. Top with a dollop of yogurt and sprinkle on a bit of dill.

* By using Greek yogurt, you are ramping up the good protein in this soup, while keeping the calories and (bad) fat down. And, it really doesn't taste like zucchini.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OlliesMom,

Parmesan crisps are very easy. You can also buy them but fresh is better.

crisps

• texanjana
    7 years ago

What am I cooking? Tomato pie as soon as I have enough ripe ones in the garden!

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

Olliesmom, yes.. a parmesan crisp. And how nice that Mtn's recipe link has a video!

I really really love these salads.. I turned my sister onto them this past December and she is now hooked too. You can add as much or as little other "stuff" as you like.

• User
    7 years ago

DH and I enjoyed delicious sushi from Wegmans. I love their fresh sushi, and no fuss, no muss, no clean up!

• OllieJane
    7 years ago

Thanks Funky and Mtn-definitely will be trying soon! I love me some salads!

• hhireno
    7 years ago

Reviving this to share my latest favorite summer dishes.

The Roasted pepper salad with feta from Once upon a Chef is outstanding. Make more than you think you need because everyone will love it. I have yet to make enough to have leftovers. I roast the peppers on the grill, to keep the heat out of the kitchen.

The OUAC Moroccan meatballs are also very good. I use beef but my sister makes them with ground turkey, for those looking for an alternative.

The Chicken Gyro salad from Smitten Kitchen was a huge hit.