SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kansasguy

Root ball crumbled, roots broken

kansasguy
7 years ago

Three weeks ago I planted a pair of Snow Fountain Weeping Cherry trees in my front yard. We are in zone 6a.

One of the trees is thriving - foliage is already filling out more, the branches are very limber, and overall it just looks great.

The other one, during planting, the root ball basically crumbled as I tried to re position the ball in the hole. To my horror I could hear the fine roots tearing as the soil was crumbling. Only a small amount of dirt - maybe 1/3 of the root ball, with one large root coming out of that - remained attached to the bottom of the tree. It is not looking so hot. It has not leafed out as well, the foliage is yellowing at the branch end and is a bit wilty looking, and a few of the branches are rather brittle feeling.

In the two weeks immediately following planting, we have received an insane amount of rain. Over 2 inches the first week, and over 5 the second week. We have a somewhat dense, heavy silt-clay-loam soil. I over dug the diameter of the hole approximately 3x the diameter of the root ball, and only slightly deeper. I scarified the bottom and walls of the hole, broke up the soil and filled the bottom with enough of the loosened soil to make sure the root ball was at the correct level. It was during re positioning to get it centered that the root ball fell apart. I then gently back-filled to the appropriate level.

Is this tree doomed? I'm a bit worried that without the fine roots, it has been unable to take up water and has basically has sat in an underground pond for 2 weeks, with the roots rotting. If it's not necessarily doomed, what do I need to do to save it?

Comments (15)