SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_18446294

Meyer lemon in Greece: parasite, leaf, fruiting problems

User
7 years ago

Hi. I've read several posts/replies here about Meyers, but none seem to cover the multiple problems my tree is suffering with. We're in Greece, no garden, and the tree has been in a large clay pot for 3 years. It's on a roofed balcony, in the soil the nursery recommended, getting full sun from about 11am - 4-5pm daily, mild Greek winters, on a watering system giving it 3 minutes from a nozzle every 48 hours (never gets saturated or dry). It might be getting too much wind because some leaves are torn, although our apricot, almond, and black cherry trees are similarly located and don't have torn leaves. The Meyer's first year, it was about 2 feet tall and produced 6 lemons; last year, 3, this year, at about 5 feet tall, it's a disaster. I've posted photos. The leaves are yellowed, developed very misshapen, some are curled. The flowers appear but very few result in beginning fruits, and those that do start, die very small. It also has an infestation which I thought was a type of scale (see photo), and have been removing by hand and then applying rubbing alcohol to the area with a Q-tip. There weren't that many, but they keep appearing and I feel like it's a losing battle. These aren't the same type of brown, hard-shell scale that appear on my olive trees, and which are easily controlled by hand and application of (home-made) insecticidal soap. Unfortunately, it's not possible here in Greece to find the environmentally-friendly pesticides so easily found in the States, and I don't want to use chemicals. I'm thinking the tree's problems are a combo of wrong soil mix/inadequate nutrition, the pest, and the watering, and I need advice. There are no "citrus" soil mixes here, so it would be very helpful if someone would suggest a mix I can prepare, like x-amount peat+clay+river sand, etc., and advise me about the watering, given the tree's environment. Putting it in the ground is not an option. Thanks for your time. Here's a photo of the insect, and below are two showing leaf malformation/damage. The second photo shows a tiny dried-out lemon.

Comments (3)