SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

work in progress: your opinions please?

Sueb20
7 years ago

This is the sitting area that is open to our kitchen (kitchen is to the left, out of pic). I recently moved the loveseat, which used to have its back to the kitchen -- somehow I like sitting on it so much more now that its back is against the wall. Excuse the seat -- I am having the seat cushions recovered thanks to my dumb dog. The blue chair used to be angled near where the floor lamp is. The coffee table and wood table are new. I know the table feels small, but 36" was going to be too big. I think it will feel more in scale when I add a stool/ottoman...

I want to find a small round ottoman with clean lines that will sit beside (and can be pushed slightly under) the coffee table so I have somewhere to put my feet up. 15" round, 14-15" tall, so far haven't found the right thing. The height is the issue -- I want it to slide slightly under the 16" high coffee table.

I am also tempted to replace the rug, although DH is not really excited about that idea. The current rug is 8 x 10. I am thinking 6 x 9 would be better.

Finally, I have a different chair in the living room that I could switch with the blue chair. It might work better as I feel like the blue chair is dominating everything (part of it is the angle of the pic, tho). Maybe I'll switch the chairs and post another pic.

Do we all agree that the rug seems too big?

Comments (61)

• User
    7 years ago

I also agree the rug is a perfect size and yes to the blue chair.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

I agree about a different rug making all the difference. Seems the current one is a whole different color palette & feeling.

• Related Discussions

Please offer your opinion on what would work.

Q

Comments (6)
    Own-roots are just going to be wimpier than what you have. A decent rule of thumb is that if it is going to dieback over the winter, it will do much better with a strong rootstock. MM has a reputation in the east of just plain not being worth much. I grew Tropicana when it was still under patent, and it was a decent performer. I'd expect you could get something out of it so long as it is a grafted plant from a reputable supplier. That may mean it is coming from Canada at this point in time.
    ...See More

please post photos of your progress

Q

Comments (5)
    Well if your bored have a look at the two links below. I tend to be a little click happy with the camera so I apologize for how many pictures there are. Just do a copy paste in your browser as I don't know how to link more than one URL. Pictures of Outside of house: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=13wbryy0.113c8a70&x=0amp;y=-frpgl1 Pictures of Inside of house: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=13wbryy0.8rb1ki7k&x=0amp;y=-sfy9fy We broke ground on Nov 9. They are now working on the hardwood floors but I haven't taken any pictures of that.
    ...See More

Fireplace, my progress in pics and your opinions, please!

Q

Comments (19)
    Fillagirl, I'll definitely try that. Great idea! Thank you. I love the look of some screens but I really like the idea of the doors with young kids around. Wonder if it's possible to do it both and still look nice. I'll keep you posted. Speaking of Better Homes and Gardens, there's a fireplace in the October issue with a bluestone hearth and then bluestone, too, over where my brick is now. Looks beautiful. Something to think about! Thanks again!
    ...See More

pics - Would this work in my room? Opinions please?

Q

Comments (11)
    Thank you to everyone that took time to respond, especially at this busy time of year, and Happy New Year to you. I have decided not to get it, and to look for something more traditional. I agree it would have looked nice with an aqua blue pottery bowl, but then I feel I would be moving more towards a south western or globally influenced look, and would have to switch out too many other things. Thanks for helping me decide.
    ...See More
  • User
    7 years ago

On my screen I see the colors of the sofa and blue chair in the rug. I think it compliments it well without being too obvious, like the rugs posted above.

• Bunny
    7 years ago

I'm not a blue person, but I love that chair. And with the painting? Duh. They belong together. I'm not fond of the color of the other chair.

• Elizabeth Z
    7 years ago

Agree with blue chair and like the Garrett rug above. Can the little round table be repurposed somewhere else in the room? It's not doing anything for the current setup. Round ottoman would look fantastic!

• Christy Bell
    7 years ago

I agree - blue chair and keep rug same size. Maybe some pillows to bring them all together - for example, red pillow on wood chair and something similar on blue chair. They seem like 3 separate pieces that need to come together.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

What throws me off, and perhaps this isn't something you can change, is the location of the seating area between two large doorways. It just doesn't look cozy there, with people possibly passing by often.

• maddielee
    7 years ago

If it was my room, I would change the cocktail table. I would go for a large (maybe 48" x 30") rectangle, with an already distressed top. Use that to put your feet on. Keep the chairs pulled close so those folks can be comfortable too.

• jlc712
    7 years ago

I think your new wood chair is cool, but it doesn't stand up to the upholstered pieces, and it doesn't look very comfy for hanging out in the kitchen. I like the rug, and I'd use both your blue and your striped upholstered chairs, with little drink tables like this--

Max Side Table · More Info

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the input so far. I am running out but just quickly, it may not be apparent in the pic but the rug that I have does have all the "theme colors" in it. It has faded a lot and is 11 years old so I am open to replacing it, just haven't seen the right thing yet.

ingrid, I can't change the location of the seating. I don't have time to take a picture of the whole space, but the desk and mudroom doorway are on one side, kitchen is on the other, and opposite is a built-in window seat w/ kitchen table/chairs. Honestly, no one ever really sits here except me and DH. The loveseat faces almost a whole wall of windows looking onto the back yard.

I do have pillows on order from etsy -- they are striped and have the blue of the chair, the red of the chair, and some gold. I think they'll work well.

Maddie, thanks but that size table would be too big. I have walkways all around this area so everything pretty much has to stay within the confines of the rug, basically. I had a larger rectangular table there before and it was awkward. I think round works best for this space, as I have tried it both ways, but I do agree that the table as is feels too small. 36" is too big...hard to find 30", so I got 27". At first I thought it was oddly small (and I knew I was risking this -- I measured and marked off with blue tape, etc) but it's growing on me. It only just arrived this morning so I need to sit with it for a bit and decide for sure. And continue to look for a little ottoman that I think will help.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    7 years ago

Would you consider putting the cowhide ottoman you have in another room in the room pictured above. Think it may be great in the room. Also, I just don't see how you could push a small ottoman and/or stool under the coffee table, with the style of legs on the coffee table.

Love the blue chair in that room. For some reason, the wooden chair doesn't seem to fit in correctly. Could you try the blue and the red chair in the room along with the cowhide ottoman, just to see how they look together.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

jlc, that's funny, before I saw your post I had moved a little drinks table into the room from the living room. I know that chair is sort of the odd man out but when I actually had tried two upholstered chairs, it felt like too much -- too crowded, too bulky. In winter I might do the trendy thing and toss a sheepskin over it to give it some added oomph. It's actually more comfortable than it looks TBH.

BTW, I do appreciate everyone's input even if I can't respond to each one of you!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Walnut -- The cowhide ottoman is only 20" round so it would be too small. I didn't want to put a small ottoman entirely under the table, just slightly under. I have a picture in my head, sorry I'm not explaining it well! I think our posts crossed but the two big chairs don't really work in this space. This little ottoman would almost work.

Or...I could get this ottoman in the 36" size and return the coffee table. I just am not a big fan of the tufted top....

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Uhhh, it's me again. I wonder if I should risk a "too big" table and just go with 36"? I could exchange for the same style table or this one, which is the one I originally liked best but it didn't come any smaller than 36".

• User
    7 years ago

I think the rug is a good size, and I also like the blue chair, although I wonder if both the blue and mauve chair would work and move the little wood chair elsewhere. I like Lisa's idea about the ottoman coffee table, and I'm thinking about Aktillery's wonderful martini table from West Elm to hold drinks there. Perfect for a small sitting area.

• User
    7 years ago

Lisa ,do you have a link for the third ottoman from the top?

• User
    7 years ago

Big, round ottoman so all three seats allow to put feet up, and a very small table (martini table) by each seat to hold drinks. I think that would make that seating area so unique and fun.

• User
    7 years ago

Nice spot! I like the current rug, both size & pattern. I also vote for the blue chair. Since the main traffic is on either side of the seating area I'd try going with a larger table. Since you said it's primarily you & DH using the space I think a bigger table where you could set down a beverage or reading material would be functional & cozy.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

At the risk of being the same as everyone else - the rug is a perfect size, I was surprised when you mentioned getting something smaller, and the blue chair is perfect. It is better scale than the other chair and picks up the blue of the picture without either one of them overwhelming the other.

If you do get a new rug, don't go smaller.

• tinam61
    7 years ago

Repeat here - rug is good, use blue chair. I do like the bigger table you posted, but also think an ottoman would look good. Not much help am I?

• amykath
    7 years ago

Here is a mock up for ideas.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I have always loved that blue chair with your painting, so I'd vote for it. But I agree with the other posters about using another upholstered chair instead of the wood one. I think if there was a chair that matched the loveseat, then the wood would be a nice break from the sameness, but the three disparate seats isn't aesthetically pleasing to me. I know you said the striped one doesn't work with the blue one, but maybe you'd show us? :-) And for some reason (maybe the way the building is facing in the painting), I'd put the blue chair on the left.

I think the rug size is perfect; smaller might look squished.

• grapefruit1_ar
    7 years ago

I love your wooden chair!! But....it seems too spindly for your current set-up. I agree with the others who say that a nice ottoman would look good with the lovely blue chair. Can you get a matching blue chair?

• LynnNM
    7 years ago

I'm late to the party, as usual, but I just had to give my opinion anyway. Definitely the blue chair. It not only ties in wonderfully with your art there but gives the entire seating area a fresh, updated look.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OK, blue chair is staying and rug stays. Because of the dynamics of our two-dog house and this area being a busy one day to day, multiple little drinks tables are not going to work well. See: clumsy bulldogs (we have one English and one French). Same with the ottoman/tray idea. I like the LOOK of an ottoman, but I don't think it's practical for this particular space. So the ottoman idea is out even though I understand why people are recommending it. I do think a 36" round table will work, so I'm going to call the store and arrange an exchange. I am usually better at these things, not sure why I had a mental block about the bigger size table.

I did pull in this table from the living room, and it looks cute and can be moved to wherever it's needed. At the moment I have it next to the loveseat. Sadie table

I don't really want a matching blue chair (that chair was stupidly expensive -- it's mohair) ... I think I am going to let the wood chair (you guys, I love that chair) stay at least for now. Someday it could move to the living room, but for now I'm going to let it stay.

Thanks for all the input, it is helpful to get other opinions while thinking this through!

And this is for Ellie:

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

BTW, you guys want to vote? which table? Both are same size, same wood, same metal for the base.

• User
    7 years ago

I like the second one. Especially if you might be putting your feet on the table, it's more stable.

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

aww... beautiful babies!! that's the sweetest pic.

my boys says "hello" ;)

• blfenton
    7 years ago

I really like the wood chair and am glad it's staying. There's just something about the lines that are really attractive and I think because of the lines it can hold its' own in the space.

Of the two tables - the second one.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I vote for the first one, because of what Pal always says about throwing in 30% contemporary in a traditional room, and vice versa.

I like your rug, size and design and color. It doesn't look like something you just bought on line with a click.

And the blue chair is sooooo pretty .... it was not too expensive; it looks it!

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

First table.

• deeinohio
    7 years ago

First one. Seems like I remember you ordering that lovely blue chair to go with your painting, so was surprised you were even thinking of moving it. Glad it's staying. BTW, could you share the source of the tufted blue stool? It may solve a problem.

• amykath
    7 years ago

I like both but think the first is nicer and will be better suited to your space in the simplicity of the base!

• User
    7 years ago

I think the rug is the PERFECT size! Either chair works IMO -- the blue one brings out the blue of the painting but the other chair looks fine too.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

I love the rug, and that blue chair. I could go either way on the table - perhaps the first one edges out the second, slightly.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

Precious doggies, every one of them. For me, it's definitely the second table; for some reason I really dislike the base of the first one. I think the pillows just may tie everything together nicely.

• User
    7 years ago

Tibbrix, here it is. I just found it on a google search--I have no experience with this company. But it's actually quite a good price.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hm, votes are almost evenly split! Thanks. Oh, BTW, both DH and DS came home at the end of the day and loved the wood chair. So it stays, for sure. They never comment on anything.

dee, the round stool is from Room & Board. It comes in at least a couple of sizes and a lot of different fabrics.

Ellie, your guy on the left reminds me of our Phoebe, who passed away in August at age 12-1/2. She's in the middle below.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I prefer the first table. I like that it's less leggy since you have the wooden chair. The other one adds more 'lines'.

Also agree the rug, color and size, are great and like the blue chair there. Always liked how the rug, blue chair, and painting all went together nicely.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I ordered the pedestal table. That was the first one I wanted but thought it was going to be too big...I just love the base and I think the pedestal gives the illusion of taking up less visual space. BTW -- I am really pleased with Room & Board's customer service.

Also, I am in love with this chair.

• User
    7 years ago

Thanks Lisa. I had actually found it via an image search yesterday and should have let you know. Sorry about that. I think it's gorgeous, but it's too big for the space. Ugh.

Sueb, yes to the pedestal table. Really great. I think it's going to be perfect. And yes, the wood chair is really cool.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Oh good, I won I won I won!

Love how you styled the chair. The rug looks great in that photo too.

• arkansas girl
    7 years ago

I think you could make it work with both upholstered chairs but you need to move things around. I'm no decorator so maybe others could suggest a more appealing arrangement. To me the wooden chair doesn't work and the love seat doesn't work in the spot it's in. Anyone?

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sueb, I've since read why you're not including side tables and need a solid coffee table. :-) I like the pedestal table, and it gives some clearance underneath for the pooches to fun around. btw, the view of your rug under your chair in the pic above shows how lovely it is--I'd keep it, for sure.

ETA, Tibbrix, not a problem. I love google searches and never mind returning to them.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    7 years ago

I like the idea of switching the chairs so that the blue is on the left and the wooden on the right. Though I still believe two upholstered chairs would look best. Love the new pedestal table. Please show us a picture when you get it in place.

• Claire Buoyant
    7 years ago

Love. That. Rug. !

Sueb20 thanked Claire Buoyant
  • MagdalenaLee
    7 years ago

This room kind of reminded me of yours

Accessories

Sueb20 thanked MagdalenaLee
  • l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

That wood chair is a classic. It's style matches the other two pieces and it references the colors in the carpet and wheat/grass around the barn in the picture, and even plays nicely with the wood flooring. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Unless there is something not functioning well for you, keep it as is, even the table, because an ottoman table blocks a lot of that great carpet. I put my feet up on my coffee table, (gauche, I know). :) If you want to fuss with an area of your house, fuss with that desk area to better highlight that uber cool window! Seems like that corner might be troublesome as it is a traffic area too.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Magda, I like that room. And thanks to everyone else who has offered either criticism or praise! I appreciate it.

Pink -- that desk is DH territory. I am not allowed to fuss with it. He found that mammoth thing at an antique store for like $130 and had to have it. The drawers stick, the desk is too deep, etc...I would replace it in a minute, but he's not parting with it. But that corner really isn't an issue, traffic-wise.