SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

Should I report a resident doctor?

Texas_Gem
7 years ago

Warning: long!!!

As some of you may know, hubs and I went out of town last weekend while the kids stayed with the grandparents. Our oldest, I'll call M, started complaining of a tummy ache on Friday night. M felt better Saturday morning, then felt sick again. No vomiting, diarrhea or fever. We came home Sunday night and she was still complaining.

Woke up fine on Monday, ate breakfast, then starting complaining again. I sent her to school but she ended up vomiting in the first 10 minutes of class.

Went and picked her up. All day Tuesday she couldn't keep anything down, even water.

Took her to the ER on Wednesday morning due to signs of dehydration, they ran a litany of tests, looking for bacterial causes, intestinal obstruction or appendicitis, found none, gave her IV fluids and zofran for the nausea and referred us to her PCP.

Saw PCP Thursday morning, she admitted M for observation and fluids due to continuing dehydration.

Upon admittance, they ordered a stool sample to check for viruses but she hadn't eaten or passed anything in several days. Even with zofran, M couldn't keep anything down.

On Saturday morning, doctor (resident 1st year, hereafter referred to as R1) makes a comment about still having no stool sample and maybe we should give M a stool softener.

I state she hasn't eaten since Monday morning so how can she have any stool. R1 says even without eating M should have a BM every once in a while, maybe she's constipated.

I say shouldn't that show up on a CT like the one they took in the ER on Wednesday? R1 pulls up the actual scan (not the report) and sees that her intestines are completely full. R1 comes back and apologizes profusely for not looking at the actual scan and just reading the report. (Honestly I feel this was a mistake on the ERs part, a kid with vomiting, severe abdominal pain, no fever and you don't feel you should note that the CT scan shows her intestines are full?)

R1 cancels stool sample and says the cause is constipation. Prescribes glycerin suppositories and then an enema to clear bowels. "Don't push food or drink right now, she'll just vomit it up"

Nurse doesn't get the memo about the cancelled stool sample (thank God) and sends it to the lab after the first suppository.

Comes back Sunday morning as positive for norovirus; an extremely contagious virus that typically shuts down schools, turns cruise ships back to port, etc.

Sunday morning Dr's tell us she has norovirus, that's why M can't keep anything down. She can eat or drink as much as she can tolerate. She sleeps all day, gets phenergan and finally wakes up around 9 pm and she's hungry.

I allow her to eat small bits here and there, making her wait about 20 minutes between. She slowly snacks from 9pm to Midnight when she crashes out. First time in a week that she has kept anything down which, to me is a good thing.

Monday morning and a new doctor on rotation (resident 2nd year, hereafter referred to as R2) comes in.

She says M shouldn't be allowed to eat or drink anything and I need to stop "pushing food" on her. I explain that I made M go slowly with food intake but I wasn't pushing, she was asking for it. I ask if she has read the full case, that we are dealing with two separate issues, norovirus and constipation and she shuts me down with a stern "I don't want you pushing food, she shouldn't have food". M wakes up an hour later complaining of hunger (she hasn't really eaten in a week by now) so I order her a soft breakfast.

Nurse comes by a few minutes later and says R2 said no food but after explaining the situation, she said M can eat if she feels hungry. I responded with, "well that's good because M was hungry and I already ordered her some breakfast."

M eats a light breakfast, we walk the halls, she has a light lunch, still no vomiting, R2 orders a second enema to clear the last of the constipation.

Second enema works quite well, M is still hungry so I order a light dinner for her.

R2 comes by, says she is improving quite a bit and they are going to release her. Then she asks me why I haven't talked to her PCP about her "ongoing" constipation before.

She had one bout of chronic constipation almost 5 years ago when she was toilet training. We have always gone to the same clinic for care and her PCP has only changed once so it is in her records as a brief problem she had years ago.

I tell R2 it is in her records at the clinic but it hasn't been an ongoing problem, it happened once almost 5 years ago for a few months. She continues to talk down to me, "explaining that my kids need to wash their hands well before they eat" (just as a reminder, I've got 3 other kids who haven't caught this highly contagious infection from their sister in over a week so....I think we have the hand washing, sterile procedures down)

Overall, I am quite disappointed in the care M received. If the person reading the CT scan in the ER had noted her constipation, all of this might have been resolved sooner.

I'm annoyed with R1, but appreciative of the fact that she actually came back and apologized for her initial mistake. Hey, we are all human and we all make mistakes right?

R2 just has my blood boiling though. She spoke to me as if I didn't know anything, then spoke down to me as though I was some idiot parent who didn't know how to keep her kids safe and healthy.

Hubby is beyond livid and wants to report her for her unprofessional attitude towards me but I'm hesitant.

She is still a resident and just learning the ropes but DH does have a point.

A big part of medicine is actually listening to the patient (or their parent/s) because they probably know more about the symptoms than you do.

I don't want to get a resident in trouble, DH thinks she should get a warning/spoken to about how to treat/speak to patients/parents.

I can see both sides really. I feel torn. I don't want to cause a problem for someone but at the same time, if she would have just listened to me about my daughters history and not been condescending, things would have gone smoother without offending a patient/parent.

I'll apologize now if anything seems confusing or muddled.

M was released from the hospital 9 hours ago feeling fine, but she woke up 2 hours ago and vomited again so I'm quite sleep deprived and worried.

The cherry on the sundae? Monday the 30th was my other daughters milestone 5 year old birthday. M sobbed about missing her little sister's birthday and I cried inside too. It's the first birthday for one of my kids that I've missed.

I don't want to cause trouble for anyone but at the same time, R2 was incredibly rude and unprofessional towards me.

I can handle it but what about other patient/parents?

Do you think I should report her?

Comments (46)