SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

Future Guest Room: Fabric for headboard, bed. Lamps, window treatment?

artemis_ma
7 years ago

What sort of fabric for headboard? What sort of bed covering? Should I ditch the headboard entirely? I do believe the fabric should be kept simple considering the rest of the room. Bed covering(s)? Bedside lamps? I also wonder about a window treatment? The room faces north, and I’m far from the road, but a guest might want the ability to shut out the world which might be driving up to visit… Plus, there will be a motion detector light source that they might find bothersome when the local fauna come calling, even though it will be off to the side.

Although the home is not yet ready for me to move into, one of the first pieces of furniture to move there will be my guest bed – (much of my other furniture will remain at my old home for selling purposes, but the guest bed will have to go up, because it is currently in my den (not a legal bedroom)).

It’s a queen bed, of regular height, and comes with a fabric-covered headboard to be screwed into a wall behind the pillows. I actually forgot I had it, as where the bed is located now, there is a window shortly above the head of the bed, so I never screwed it in! Current fabric will not remotely match the room.

Bed: queen sized, standard height. The headboard would be attached to a sheetrocked wall. Headboard: 62” long x 30” tall.

Room: One log wall, stained “Natural Light, Lifeline”. Ceilings throughout home: Canvas Tan, Sherwin Williams SW 7531. Walls: Whole Wheat, Sherwin Williams SW 6121.

Closet: will be painted same colors as room, will have barn door made of wood, stained Natural Light, Lifeline.

Interior door: Natural Light. Exterior door: “Chocolate Mahogany”, to match the front door.

Floor level wood trim: Natural Light.

Floor: wide plank pine stained Provencial, MinWax.

Rug: Hand me down Oriental rug from Mom, with your standard Oriental-Rug-red as the predominant color. 5 feet by maybe 8-9 feet? (Not rolling it out to measure.) There's also a mini-Oriental of about 2 by 3 feet.

Current night stand table: Small, black marble top on cherrywood or something similar. 24” x 15” x 18”. I will probably want to place it elsewhere in the room as it is too low and too small to be useful as a nightstand. Maybe between the window and door? Or by the chair? (note: it is next to the guest bed in the den right now, as it’s the only thing that fits there – that’s the current bed cover, which is lovely, but won’t work in the build.)

Probable dual night stands: they are taller, and are more functional. 26” x 16” x 23”. I will need matching lamps for on top.

I will use that rooster lamp seen in the photo in this room, not sure where. The shade can change, and probably should.

Dresser: Old style (about 60-70 years old??) dark cherrywood dresser with oval mirror. (46 x 21 x 42 with an extra 37 inches in height for the mirror).

Two book cases: 32 x 13 x 48. Pine and recent, stained to match the cherry wood as much as possible. The book cases are not optional.

Chair: Round leather covered barrel chair (made from an old whisky barrel). It needs re-covering, but will be re-covered again in black. (NOTE – because of the rug and the leather, and the fact that some of my friends have mild dander allergies, the guest room will be a pet-free room! Hence it does have its own door to the exterior!) Diameter 25”.

Art: to be decided en-masse when I move, but pretty sure there will be the oval owl lithograph (12.5” x 15”), and probably the rooster in the snow (19” x 13”). I may also hang the “Three Queens of Scotland” (32” x 24”) piece here, too. Although it cries to be in the living room, there’s no glass front on it, and I’ll be having soot from my wood burning stove! Preferentially, it will hang in my office where I will see it often, but we will see if it clashes with the bold paint color I’ve chosen there, or not! This painting will have to go up somewhere – it was Dad’s pride and joy up to the end of his dementia. AND I like it! (While I seriously love looking at everyone’s art suggestions, I think I already have a variety to sort through, when the move comes.) If in this room, it will probably go above the bookcases. I do not want it on the log wall nor over the bed – even though I don’t live in earthquake country!

Fixtures: Oil rubbed bronze. (That’s a contractor door knob on that door…. It will be replaced with a door handle – not a knob -- of the appropriate tone.)

Pet Peeves: 1) Massive amounts of functionless cluttersome pillows on a bed, couch or anything. I want NO MORE THAN TWO ACCENT PILLOWS! My home may be cluttered, but it’s all functional clutter! 2) Don’t like white fabrics – they get dingy FAST! Plus, I’m aiming for warm colorations in this room! 3) Not painting wood furniture, unless it is in bad condition – none of this is. 4) NO stretchy fabric for the bed covering. Making that stuff line up when making beds is an awful waste of my time.

Room plan: I include the dimension plan, and I include this plan without all the scribbling for dimensions on it. Light outlets in the first one were hypothetical so don’t plan around them. The closet entry changed from the original to the barn door, and the opening size decreased slightly.

the above with floor stain.

Unfortunately too much glare to see door window pattern.

Walls are 9 feet tall, this gives you window size concept.

Probable nightstand, I have one for each side of the bed.

More photos in the next post!

So, basically?

Use head board or not?

If so, ideas for fabric?
Ideas for bed?
Ideas for lamps on nightstands?
Ideas for window treatment (inexpensive)?

Placement changes (although bed and dresser are pretty fixed in location)

Comments (14)