SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Renovation - before and after

DYH
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Since I spend more time on this forum, I thought I'd share my before and after here.

Exterior:

The photos were taken at different times of the day. The pine tree was leaning and only a few feet from the house, so it and another one were the first to come down.

I added the island bed to prevent water draining down from the street that was collecting on my walkway (sometimes 2 inches of standing water in front of the steps). It's working well and there's no more standing water during rains. I'm still planting it and have added more since this photo. I'm working on new foundation garden beds with depth, rather than narrow strips along the house.

I designed the kitchen annex (balustrade on top) off the left side, based on other colonials in my area of the same time period (1930-1940). Here in the south, it was difficult to find a way to add a vestibule out front, so I researched colonials and Georgians in colder climates and found stone vestibules on the front. We couldn't match the wood anyway! On the addition, we used lapped cedar wood siding.

Due to code, I had to remove all the window sashes and install tempered glass double-pane wood sashes. Due to the odd size of the windows, all sashes had to be custom made.

The pediment over the front door and the pilasters were rotted beyond reuse, so I had a custom door made with a segmented transom above and sidelights. The old front door (and all the removed sashes) were given to an architectural salvage reuse warehouse.

I removed the ragged, fabric awning from the right side sunroom. Those awnings were all the way around. I still have one on the back deck and will replace it when I decide what I want to use.

As I put together interior before/after, I'll add to this thread.

Comments (37)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH