SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
osuzieq

Replacing sidelight windows and elliptical transom

osuzieq
7 years ago

I live outside Green Bay in Wisconsin. I am having trouble finding anyone that knows whether or not I can replace just the plain clear glass with decorative glass in the sidelights and transom above my front door. The unit is a prehung fiberglass with woodgrain and stained to match the trim in the house. I have heard of companies that come to your home, put a glass insert in your door and also the sidelights. Unfortunately, they are in different states.

I went to Home Depot to see if I could replace my door with a new one with the glass already in it. They said probably not because it's a prehung whole unit. I will keep trying other companies around here. Buying a new prehung unit isn't an option as this one is from 1999, surrounded by brick on the outside and there are no exact units like this around here anymore- so I"ve been told. Plus, I'm sure it would be way expensive.

So does anyone know if it is possible to replace a front door on a prehung unit to one with 3/4 glass and replace the elliptical and sidelight glass only. Other than making my 23 ft. foyer dark they are in great shape.

We're trying to keep costs in check as this remodel and addition is over twice as much as we imagined it would be. But we love our home. I'd just like a little advice and knowledge before I bug our contractor with yet another "Hey Tom, I have an idea...."

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida