SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shnhwk

Help getting seedlings to not die! Zone 6a. Northeast Ohio.

7 years ago

Hey everyone, I'm new here so forgive me if this post is dumb.
I started growing from seed last year, had amazing success!

A bunch of different peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, our landscaping plants. Everything I planted grew, and grew really well. Used Miracle Grow Seed Starting Mix.

Fast forward to this year, I do everything the exact same. Same starting mix, half my seeds sprouted, half didn't. The half that did, had the thinnest stems possible and died within a couple days.

So I started googling, and learned about about damping off. So I figured that must be the trouble. I must have watered too much.

I bought new starting mix, Espoma Organic seed starting mix, washed all of my pots, cleaned my counter, etc.. then replanted.
I had a ton more sprouts, but same issue. Some were just really thin, and died within a day or 2. The rest are just sitting there looking the exact same as when they sprouted. Not growing at all.

I germinate on a heating pad with a plastic cover and move to my counter with 2, 4-foot shop lights with the 5600k bulbs (same as last year) and they're on chains so they're always 2-3 inches above the plants.

One thing I did notice, when I went to water the seedlings this time the dirt seemed dense and the water kinda laid on time for a bit.

Now I have to go to Lowe's to buy my plants :(
What the heck am I doing wrong? And thanks for your help!

Comments (3)