SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crystal_meaux

How to thin plants from my City Pickers (EB) planter?

Crystal Meaux
7 years ago

At the beginning of April I knew nothing. I wanted to grow things with my toddler so I went to the hardware store, bought way more than I needed, and on 4/18 boldly began putting potting mix and seeds in containers. Since then I have almost obsessively read these forums and bought more stuff. And now I know I messed some things up.

I bought two City Pickers (Earthbox type things) and put too many tomatoes and cucumbers in them. The instructions said I could put 5 cucumbers per box. I had two types of seeds - straight eight and pickle barrel hybrid, and since I couldn't figure out one I'd rather have 3 vs 2 of, I planted 3 of each. I've since read that even the 5 on the instructions is a ridiculous amount. Oops.

It's been kind of warm/cold/warm/cold since then so they weren't growing very much and I wasn't paying too much attention to them. Then I went home yesterday and they were - no joke here- twice as big as when I left for work that morning. If they are going to grow that fast I'd better figure out what I'm doing now.

I have a bunch of questions:

1. 6 of these is too many. I think I need to cut some number of them out. I'm assuming with them being this large it will be much better to cut the rejects off at soil level rather than trying to pull them?

2. Can you help me pick which ones to thin out? One on the bottom left in the picture has a kind of ugly leaf thing going on. It was from a hail storm, I don't think it's sick. The plant looks very healthy otherwise.

3.How do I trellis them at this point? I had a vague idea when I planted them, but I've planted so many more containers at this point that whatever the plan was I don't remember. I think I read someone say them trained them out the rails of the deck and let them hang down. Would that work?

4. Can anyone tell which one is the straight eight and which is the pickle barrel hybrid? I knew in the beginning, but I've moved the box a couple of times to get more sun and now I'm not sure.

5. Do you think there's any chance of success with these? I've actually planted pots with picklebush seeds now. Should I just abandon the plants in the City Pickers' box entirely and replant it with plants that are more suited to containers?

Comments (2)