SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alpeldunas

Does anyone not have trouble with their tomato plants?

alpeldunas
10 years ago

This is my first gardening attempt and the more I read, the more it seems like there is nothing you can do to ensure your tomato plants are happy. I feel like one minute, I'm worrying that the soil is too dry ...then the next that it's too wet. They like a lot of sun, but not too much. My potting mix should be peat based, but not have too much peat because that creates moisture and acidity issues ...but as long as I don't let it dry out, it should be fine and acidity won't be an issue this growing season.

I'm getting so confused about the whole bit, I'm ready to just throw my hands up in the air and just leave them alone and see what happens. How does anyone get a crop of tomatoes anymore? I'm not looking to have a record breaking season. I'm just one person and I just want to have enough tomatoes to enjoy them for the summer and maybe share a couple with friends and family. I hate store bought tomatoes but love home grown, garden tomatoes and all I want is a decent yield to satisfy my tastebuds.

My plants don't look terrible ...but clearly they don't look as good as they could. I just moved two into 8 gallon SWCs from my City Pickers planter because I read that three plants in that container was too many. I'm trying to do everything right, but I don't know what that is. Is there anyone out there that doesn't have constant issues with their plants? If so, what's your secret?

Comments (16)