SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Uneven airflow through hvac registers

jaxo
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

One bedroom is not getting enough airflow to keep it cool on hot days.

The house is single story, is newer and it is a quite small house. The room that is not getting enough airflow is furthest away from the a/c unit, but the house is so small that "furthest away" is still only maybe 15 feet away from the rooms that are getting too much air flow. The entire house has only 7 registers. one in each of the 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living/dining area, kitchen and laundry room.

When the a/c is running, I have to stand up on a chair and reach up with my hand to feel any cool air in the problem room.

In the other rooms, you can feel the air blowing down on you while in sitting in a chair or lying in bed.

To deal with this issue over the years, I have been setting the a/c several degrees lower than I really want it so that it runs long enough for the weak air flow to eventually cool that room. This makes the other rooms uncomfortably cold and wastes energy.

If I partially close the air register in the living room, the air flow in the problem bedroom increases to a more acceptable level, but it makes the register in the living room whistle annoyingly.

I read that sometimes there are dampers inside the duct work that can be adjusted to redirect and balance airflow to the registers and solve this problem without adding the noise you get when adjusting at the registers.

Are manual dampers something that all homes built from the 2000s on have as a code requirement or would it be something I might have to have added?

I'm going to have a HVAC contractor look at the issue next week. What should I expect it to cost to have a damper added if none exist or is there a better solution?

Comments (19)