SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alison_hayward

Freezing kitchen scraps for compost

Alison Hayward
7 years ago

I have been watching composting tutorial videos as advised here from my last post. Incredibly helpful, thanks.
Most of these 'pro' composters are talking about doing batches. So, I want to try some of these techniques. However, trying to figure out what I do then with my kitchen scraps. I fill about 1-2 buckets per week. In one video I watched, they recommended freezing kitchen scraps so you could throw them together in the batch. They had plastic bags of scraps from the freezer and it all looked so nice and solid (citrus peels, celery, etc). When I empty my bucket there is usually a bunch of liquid and sludgy/rotten/super smelly stuff at the bottom. Nervous about pouring this into a grocery plastic bag in case there are tiny holes and it starts to leak. But then I don't really want to double bag because that's a lot of plastic bags to throw away (we usually recycle and reuse them). Anyone have tips on what to do? Would just continuing to throw this stuff in the tumbler weekly be OK, then redistribute it to the other bins I made when I'm making up a batch?

Comments (15)