SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

My New Dining Room Rug Is Wrinkled

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This rug is made of polypropylene and is large, 8 x 11 feet, and for shipping it was rolled up and then the roll folded tightly in half to make the package as small as possible. Well, all those folds are very visible now. I vacuumed with my heavy vacuum cleaner, hoping that would help, but the effect was only minor. I haven't had this problem with hand-tied rugs but this material is obviously stiffer than wool and doesn't bend easily. Ideas, anyone? It really detracts from the appearance of the rug. Thank you for any tips.

Comments (51)

• alwaysonabudget
    7 years ago

I agree with Olychick! The colors are great!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked alwaysonabudget
  • PRO
    4Heidesign
    7 years ago

Our great room rug came with wrinkles like yours has, but we put it down and within a week, it all flattened out. Ours is also poly like yours. Just give it some time and it should lay flat.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked 4Heidesign
  • JustDoIt
    7 years ago

That looks really great in that room.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked JustDoIt
  • k9arlene
    7 years ago

I think the colors and pattern look very nice in the room. I'm just wondering if the rug seems a little too big for your smallish dining set.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked k9arlene
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

Perhaps it's my monitor but the rug colors are heavy and somehow manage to fight with both the floor and the walls. I would fold it right back up and send it back.

Why would you give your unwanted opinion when you weren't even asked?

First the rug is gorgeous and the colors look like they're on the money.

Second, I have had rugs like that in the past. Give it a couple of weeks and it will flatten itself out. :)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked cpartist
  • Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

When I bought a seagrass rug that arrived with wrinkles, I stacked books on the creases hoping the weight would help flatten out the rug and it did.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Fun2BHere
  • User
    7 years ago

It will flatten out. Do you have a rug pad under it? If not and you ended up wanting it to appear thicker, I bought a nice one off Overstock that really made a difference for the one rug I have. I think the rug is beautiful and the colors work on my monitor, but I do think the size is a little large for the space and table. I'm guessing I missed it, did you end up sending back the one where you considering binding the edges?

I didn't read Kswl2's post as harsh. Perhaps typed quickly, but this forum has saved me more than once with feedback and other suggestions over the years when after I reflected on what was said, I agreed with. I've learned to add in 'will be staying, not changing, etc." words to my posts to help avoid that.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It must be the lighter color, but this rug is the same size as the dark blue Oriental rug and just as wide as the flowery rug that I returned, which many of you liked, but a foot longer. I'm glad to know that the wrinkles will probably come out sooner or later, but I've already placed heavy books in some of the worst spots. I agree that this rug looks larger than the other ones but I like the pattern and colors. I'm no longer looking for perfection and I quite like it. It does have a pad underneath, by the way.

I just measured, and this rug is the same width but 3 inches shorter. It's placed a little differently and I'll rectify that.

• User
    7 years ago

I think it looks great. On my screen it works very well with the wall and floor colors.

• diymom79
    7 years ago

I have been watching your rug choices and I think you have a winner here! This one brightens up the space and matches with your current colors. Great job!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked diymom79
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

I think it's a really great rug, unique, Bohemian look. Let it sit for a while, as others have said, and the creases should take care of themselves.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked tibbrix
  • happy2b…gw
    7 years ago

I am smitten with the rug. You made a very good choice. The wrinkles will "iron" themselves out. At least that has m=been my experience with smaller poly rugs.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked happy2b…gw
  • DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

I hope that smooths out because it looks wonderful in your space. I wonder if there are things that could hurry that process along without damaging the rug? Assuming you have a table that expands with a leaf, the rug does not appear too large to me. As it's set up, perhaps it is just a tad large but IMO that's a far better option than a too small rug where chairs fall off when pushed back. If you pull the chairs back just a bit, no more than 3", it will amplify the whole tableau and look a little more balanced. And as Shee said, a rug pad might plump up the volume a bit.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked DLM2000-GW
  • decormyhomepls
    7 years ago

First, I really like the rug and how it ties your room together. I would give it time to flatten out

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked decormyhomepls
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

Humidity is what gets the wrinkles out, so if you have a steam mop, you can run it over the rug and that should help speed up the process.

• amykath
    7 years ago

This is funny as I just received two poly rug from esale. The 10X13 looked like a folded sheet of canvas for a while. It is slowly flattening out. The smaller one is flattening as well. I wrote to esale and they said to roll up the rug on one side for a while and then do the same with the other side. I decided to let the wrinkles flatten out on their own. It is much better now after three days. I would just be patient. It will flatten out soon.

Love your rug and dining room!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked amykath
  • User
    7 years ago

Ingrid has an established history of ordering decor items and asking for opinions, as she does not seem afraid of taking in all feedback, thinking about it, and making her own decisions. She has sent back rugs everyone has liked, and vice-versa. She is nothing if not her own judge of what's right for her home after taking in the widest possible variety of opinions. Cpartist, I believe you also gave your unasked-for opinion on the rug, correct? Is that only acceptable because you liked it?

Ingrid, I apologize if you feel my remarks were harsh. Asking questions here is, de facto, asking for opinions, and I always do people the compliment of assuming they want honest ones, especially someone like you who knows her own mind :-)

• Yayagal
    7 years ago

Your best choice for a rug so far and it's just wonderful. It brings a lightness to the room which makes it even prettier. Good job.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Yayagal
  • User
    7 years ago

I really like this one, Ingrid. I think it's a keeper.

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Someone already said it....a little humidity will fix it or time. I like your choice of color. And I'm happy to see your precious roses on the table.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked kittymoonbeam
  • Bonnie
    7 years ago

Beautiful. Give it time to "settle in"! Enjoy!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Bonnie
  • patty Vinson
    7 years ago

Ingrid, the colors are beautuful and the rug is very complimentary to the space. I think this is the winner you've searched so hard to find! I hope DH likes it also. i'm sorry about the wrinkles, but as others have said, time will take care of it, be patient. I hope you will be keeping the window panels. Their light color helps keep the space from becoming too dark. The light fringe/border(?)on the rug pulls the two together.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked patty Vinson
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

I wouldn't use steam or heat on a poly rug. You could easily melt it.

I think giving honest feedback isn't the problem with your post(s) kswl. It's the brutal way you seem to choose to give your opinion. Then you come back and apologize. Why not temper your comments to be a little more kind?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Olychick
  • User
    7 years ago

Because they are not unkind to begin with, olychick. They are opinions! To be clear, I am not apologizing for the comments; I am apologizing to the person in case s/he took umbrage at them or me. Interestingly, the comments I made to the man with picture molding on his walls re the resin deer head and fly fishing prints was a similarly strong opinion but no one spoke up in his defense and my sense of that is because he is a man. Which (also in my opinion) is ridiculous.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    7 years ago

Ingrid, I bought two poly runners a few months ago and rolled them in the opposite direction as they arrived for a few days before putting them down. (I understand you not wanting to do that now with your table and chairs in place) What's odd is, they are identical rugs, at each end of a hallway. With a little time, the carpet at my mudroom is nice and flat. The second at the door leading out to the patio at the other end still has two 'lifts' in it. Not bad, but I can see them. They are not so high as to interfere with vacuuming or I wouldn't be happy ;-)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm so happy with the (almost) unanimous approval for this rug. kswl2, thank you for the apology. You are correct in that I always value honest input from everyone. I'm relieved that others with this kind of rug have had the same experience and that, given time, the wrinkles will disappear. My cat helped by sitting on one of them.

morz8, how interesting that the two rugs behaved differently. Apparently even rugs have minds of their own. I wish I'd known about the rolling trick when I first received it. You're right about my not being terribly keen to do that now. I did consider putting a moist cloth on the rug and steam ironing the wrinkles at a low setting, but I chickened out. I'll just give it time and keep moving around the heavy books which seems to work to some extent.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

I always use my steam mop on my polypropylene rugs and have never had a problem. I don't let it sit on them and keep it moving, but never a problem with melting. And I got those rugs in case dogs have accidents on them, so I've even used my steam mop to clean dog pee out of them. Works great.

• ghostlyvision
    7 years ago

I think the rug looks very pretty - is the white edge in the foreground the pad it's on?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked ghostlyvision
  • peaches12345
    7 years ago

I have only one poly rug, outside on my lanai since it can get wet. I have never thought of using one inside though even though they are advertised outdoor/indoor. I'm not sure how I would like the look and feel inside. (NOT a criticism of those who use poly inside. JMO.)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked peaches12345
  • raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    7 years ago

I think your new rug looks wonderful, Ingrid......great choice!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked raphaellathespanishwaterdog
  • pokyhoky
    7 years ago

I was thinking the steam mop, too .... I don't think it's enough heat to actually melt a rug .... Beautiful rug!!!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked pokyhoky
  • monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

Just like everyone said, give it time and the wrinkles will fall out on their own. It might take longer than a week tho. I like the rug Ingrid but I also liked the floral one as well :) Like all the other replies to kswl, the colors look good on my screen. Perhaps hers needs to be calibrated or replaced. Seems like this isn't the first time things didn't look right on her monitor but it did on everyone else's. And about the size, you probably don't "see" it the same as you do looking at it on a computer monitor...but that's not what you were asking about anyway. I know this has been discussed before but I think people should stick to the question or the opinion asked. That's one of the reasons I won't ask for opinions anymore. My style isn't appreciated or understood here and asking for an opinion opens myself up to all sorts of critique and/or criticism that I didn't ask for.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked monicakm_gw
  • nutsaboutplants
    7 years ago

Love the rug! Great choice for your room.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked nutsaboutplants
  • busybee3
    7 years ago

i like this rug too! the reds in the rug don't seem to be fighting the orangey tones in the tile as some of your other choices (including for the LR) have... and your needlepoint chairs seem to look nice on this rug too!! (tho the chair on the left looks like it needs to be repaired? don't remember noticing that before... :(

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked busybee3
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

"no one spoke up in his defense and my sense of that is because he is a man." I did not speak up because Ingrid is a woman. I spoke up because I thought your criticism was incredibly thoughtless toward a frequent poster who has laid her decorating heart out on this forum - and I cringed because it seemed you were stomping directly on it. Not because it was criticism, but because it was boorish. But we'll just have to disagree, because you don't find yourself rude.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Olychick
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I haven't ever heard of a steam mop before, but it sounds like a great cleaning tool. The white edge on the rug is the fringe. This rug, by the way, is no thinner than either of the other two. It really is difficult to see the all the nuances on a small picture instead of standing in the room itself. busy bee, alas you're right, the chairs are not in good shape. Fortunately, they're not sat upon very often since we take guests out to eat due to my wimpy body, and we generally eat on the couch.

• DYH
    7 years ago

I use pads underneath my two outdoor rugs that I use indoors. For whatever reason, the wrinkles came out quickly. Both of mine were rolled and shipped.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked DYH
  • monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

Ohhh, steam mops! Love mine! I use it on porcelain tile, natural stone (travertine) and I "can" use it on my engineered wood flooring but don't. And even tho I believe in the power of steam for cleaning, I use the "homebrew" of 50/50 alcohol/water sprayed on the floor as I'm mopping

• Vertise
    7 years ago

Don't you have to change or rinse those mop heads frequently while cleaning the floor? Otherwise the floor is being wiped with the dirt on the cloth.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Vertise
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

monica, I have a Haan, but when it breaks, that Bissel is going to be my next steam mop. I do use mine on my wood floors but again, I never let it sit and always keep it moving on them.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    7 years ago

I have the Oreck steam mop, and extra cleaning pads. I don't use the same in the kitchen that I've used in the bathrooms. I hang them to dry, then toss them in with the first load of rags (aka 'car towels') that I'm washing with hot water. DH washes car and truck every week of the year, a load of old towels he's used outside not at all rare.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • ceezeecz
    7 years ago

Sorry to get off topic but... Yikes, all this criticism against kswl2 for being boorish, rude, thoughtless, and brutal in the first post for giving what was clearly stated (a couple of times) as just their opinion. Is everyone really so fragile? This type of response is exactly what I would want to hear, someone pointing out potential issues and problems that I haven't even thought about. I welcome them and I don't need to be tiptoed around so as to avoid hurting my feelings.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked ceezeecz
  • arkansas girl
    7 years ago

Ingrid, I would call or email the company and ask them about it and also give them a head's up that if the wrinkles don't come out that you will need to return it. As for the rug, I think it looks like it was made for your room! I did really love the flower one, but after seeing all the photos of your house, this one is your style.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked arkansas girl
  • nosoccermom
    7 years ago

On my monitor, the colors don't look heavy at all, on the contrary. And they complement the tiles and walls very well. I like it a lot in your room.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked nosoccermom
  • monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

snookums, of course you need to change them out. Just like any other rag you use for cleaning or if you were using a string mop, you'd rinse it out and when needed, use fresh water. Depends on the size of your job and how dirty it was :) Soon as I clean mine and it's dry, I kick my shoes off and enjoy the smooth satiny feel of a steam cleaned floor :)

Original Author
    7 years ago

I left the books on overnight and have changed them around and even one day later I feel the rug has already improved a little. So happy with the continued approval of the rug. I still need to remove the furniture and place the rug more advantageously.

• Kathie738 P
    7 years ago

Beautiful rug that sounds like it's going to work out perfectly..enjoy!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Kathie738 P
  • Vertise
    7 years ago

I'd probably clean with a rag first and then follow by disinfecting with the steamer. Towel surfaces need to be flipped too frequently even if the floor isn't very dirty. Sounds like a doable plan.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Vertise
  • Judith Kerr
    4 years ago

Leave the rug for a day or two but if wrinkle still there, wet a tea towel or piece of cloth over the wrinkle and your steam iron...works right away!