SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leafxeater

What do you wish you knew when you first started gardening?

I'm just getting started with gardening, and would love to know some of the most valuable things you've learned! Obviously there is no substitute for experience: I've now learned not to water my drought tolerant natives in the summer.

A little about my garden & plans for it (in case anyone has specific tips!):

Currently I have two raised beds for vegetable gardening, which I recently refreshed and replanted with summer veggies and herbs. Here's whats in there right now: tomatoes, basil, hot and sweet peppers, chives, beets (from seed), carrots (from seed), sunflowers, chamomile, stevia, oregano, lettuce, honeydew, watermelon, spaghetti squash, marigolds, & summer squash (from seed).

I also have 3 citrus trees: a Paige Mandarin (about 3-4 years old), a lemon tree, and a grapefruit tree (can't remember their varieties right now, and they are about 1.5-2 years old)

And one pomegranate tree (1.5-2 years old)

My property is on a hill that goes in to a canyon; I currently have some natives on the hill and plan to plant many more! My favorite right now are my three matilija poppies that I'm hoping will survive their current fungal infection likely caused by my over-watering :(

I have a small container garden on my covered balcony where I'm currently growing mint, lemon balm, and catnip (each in their own respective container.)

I'm hoping to also find some room to grow blackberries and/or raspberries somewhere, and possibly a low-chill variety of an apple or peach tree! I definitely need to learn more about fruit tree care (specifically pruning) before I want to attempt that though.

I'm interested in what may be different regarding seasonal changes that are specific to California. A lot of the advice and info I read seems more geared to people growing their plants in areas that have very different weather conditions than we do here!

Comments (32)