SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Photosensitive reaction to galium aperine ...

mama goose_gw zn6OH
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I don't react to poison ivy unless I break the stems and get the sap on my skin, and I'm usually pretty careful to keep an eye out for the leaves and stems, so I was surprised when two of my fingers started to break out in itchy blisters a few days ago--the only gardening I had done recently was pull weeds and mow grass. After a raised rash started on the back of my neck, I knew it wasn't poison ivy, so I looked up goose grass (aka cleavers, velcro plant, sticky willy)--the weeds I'd been pulling. I've pulled them by the handfuls before, never had a problem that I recall, but I found out that exposure to sunlight after contact can cause the blisters and rash.

I had mowed grass for a couple of hours after pulling the weeds (without sunscreen--my bad), and the rash is mostly on the back of my neck, and the side of my neck that was exposed to the sun--the side my thick braid covered isn't blistered. I must have wiped sweat or brushed a bug off my neck, while I still had the 'juice' on my hands.

There's no pain, and the blisters on my hands and arms look like contact dermatitis from poison ivy--just here and there. I have nothing on my shoulders, torso or legs (I was wearing jeans and boots), and the blisters have broken out over the course of several days. Other than the infernal itchiness, which is starting to abate, it's not causing any problems, but I had no idea this could happen--I'm adding galium aperine to my spray list, with poison ivy. I grow galium odorata, sweet woodruff, with no problems, and it evidently doesn't cause the same reaction.

Have you ever had this reaction? This is a pic of the invasive weed, which I've read is sometimes used as a herbal remedy for certain skin conditions, and can be eaten in salads when picked early in the year:

wiki--galium aperine

wiki--contact dermatitis/photoxic dermatitis

So be careful out there!

Comments (6)

• sleeperblues
    7 years ago

Thank you. I have those little monsters in my garden.

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked sleeperblues
  • Jasdip
    7 years ago

I'm positive we have this in our lawn.

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked Jasdip
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Once you get them they take over--they cover other vegetation and hold on with little velcro-like hooks. The seeds also stick to pets' fur!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Updating, in case anyone is researching: The rash lasted ap 4 days, and the blisters dried up between 4 and 10 days, depending on the size/severity. I stayed out of the sun for 7 days--have been mowing (very tall) grass again, with no further reactions.

In the week that I was absent, the weeds flowered and produced seeds, which haven't dried yet, so I sprayed them anyway. Walking along the fence line, I noticed many galium aperine patches, so I'll never completely eradicate them. The new neighbor to the south recently cleared the brush from his side of the fence line--the increased sunlight must have stimulated the invasion.

• happy2b…gw
    7 years ago

Thanks, I will be on look out on my place. I am one of those trashy people. I try not to pull but instead use round up.

mama goose_gw zn6OH thanked happy2b…gw