SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Why has HMF deleted all of the synonyms for Comtesse de Labarthe?

jacqueline9CA
7 years ago

Nik from Greece brought to my attention that, if you try to look up Duchesse de Brabant on HMF, you get automatically sent to the page for Comtesse de Labarthe, and there is no longer any list of "aka" names (such as DdB, or the "shell rose") on that page.

So, I am hoping someone on here has a clue as to why these synonym names have been deleted - is this a new policy for HMF? The list of "aka", or common, or other names for each rose on HMF is one of its best features in my opinion (for example, 'Old Blush' lists 17 "aka" names! They make it possible for people to realize that one rose does, indeed, have several names in common use. Of course, we could revert to the "legal" names of each rose as established by the ARS, but those are just a jumble of letters and numbers, and the ARS's attempt to get people to use them, even at rose competitions, has failed. They are of course still used for legal registration purposes.

Another thing I find helpful about the list of "aka" names for roses on HMF is that you can sort of see how long a rose has been in commerce, and how popular and wide spread it is, by how long its list is.

Anyway, I am just curious as to why all of the "aka" names for CdL have been deleted, and whether this is going to happen to all of the roses on HMF. Those lists are very helpful, and it seems very unhelpful to me to delete them. If it is positively known exactly what name a rose was introduced under, that is of course important info, but I fail to see why the valuable information regarding other names in common use for a rose should not be included as such. For example, the name Duchesse de Brabant, in my experience, is used 99.9% or more of the time in the US for this rose. It was the name used officially when the research for "Earth Kind" roses was done, and Duchesse de Brabant is on the Earth Kind list as that name. If it is not historically accurate, that is no reason to pretend it does not exist, or not have it listed (along with "the shell rose", or other names I may have forgotten) as another name in common use for this rose.

Does anyone know why this was done, and if it represents a complete change in how HMF intends to list, or not list the common names of roses? Just very curious as to why this was done, as it seems to me it just creates more confusion.

Jackie

Comments (30)