SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_treese

Need help with fireplace Reno!

Jason Treese
7 years ago

I bought my log home 4 years ago (built in 1986). The fireplace in the living room was never finished. It is some type of steel insert similar to an old heatilator. The one in the basement was finished but never used (flu is spotless). As you can see from the picture I am using some salvaged wood to refinish the areas far enough from the fireplace opening. I have a bunch of stone ready for facing. My concern/questions are as follows:

1. Does anyone know what brand/type of fireplace this is so I can purchase the fans, etc. for it?

2. The chimney was never capped so there is some surface rust on the top but we have used the fireplace as is numerous times (50+ times) with no problems. Some water trickles down from the flue on the outside of hood during heavy/prolonged rain so I will be putting on a chimney cap to stop this prior to finishing. Should I just get this whole thing ripped out and replaced with an insert? Don't really want to pay for that if I don't have to.

3. Lastly, this unit is made to have a blower/fan on both sides which sucks air in at the bottom (firebox is double walled with two openings on the bottom and top of each side of outer wall) and blows it out of the top. Now, the one downstairs that was finished has fans installed but when I turn then on they are loud and barely (I mean barely) moving any air. Would there be any harm in ignoring the fan feature and simply stoning in the front as one would a traditional fireplace

Comments (2)