SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forshoppingonline

Wasted and awkward spaces around microwave

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm getting a Panasonic Genius Inverter Countertop Microwave (NNSE792S), 12"H x 22"W x 19.4"D. It will be going into a full height cabinet. It will be placed on a shelf that measures 16"H x 36"W x 30"D (outside dimensions). Manufacturer installation instructions require 3" space in front of the unit to the shelf edge and 3" on either side + 2" on top for ventilation. That leaves me with roughly 6" extra space to the side of the MW and about 6" extra space behind the unit.

OPTION 1: Add a partition beside the MW

As shown in drawing. I could use that space for storing the MW splatter covers, my recipe binder, cutting boards, etc.

OPTION 2: Center the MW

This seems to be the simplest solution but I hate it because it wastes all that potentially useful space. The max width for Panasonic trim kits is 30" so I'll also need to get some filler/trim pieces from cab maker to fill in the parts the trim kit doesn't cover.

To make the most of the space behind the MW, I'm considering adding in a secret, oh-so-clever storage space behind the MW like in this kitchen:

B/S House · More Info

Any creative solutions that I haven't thought of?

Comments (16)