SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daethon

Finalizing the hood choice... (Best/Zephyr/Kobe) (48/54)

Huntting B
7 years ago

Coming to second to last decision for the kitchen (last is Refrigerator) remodel and could use some feedback.

We had most recently a Best Island hood with the iQ1200 blower integrated. We loved it.

We have moved, are doing a remodel of the kitchen and have the stove in the wall (preferred). We'll be getting a 48" Wolf Rangetop with 6 burners and Grill. I do have a tendency to cook flavorful, fragrant and spicy foods, so hood performance is pretty important to us. Ideally we're not looking for the hood to be "imposing," we'll be covering up the area above the hood with cabinetry.

The sales rep suggested Best's 48" (UP26M48SB) under cabinet unit (9" height) with the iQ1200 set up externally.

So I've got a few questions that I'm hoping y'all can help with:

• If we have a 48" stove, is a 48" hood truly enough? Or will there be a lot of leakage?

• 9" height vs 18": Will we really notice the difference in performance?

• Built in unit vs under cabinet unit? Are there advantages or disadvantages between the two of them?

• Finally: Internal blower vs external blower? How much performance do you lose with the external?

• Brands: Is there any reason to not go with Best? I've seen people mention Zephyr and Kobe as alternatives.

• Height: Recommendation seems to be between 24 and 30 inches above the stove. I believe we did the island one at around 34-36". Will having it at 29" improve/impact performance enough to trade off the "in your face" aspect of it being at that height? We're short folk (5'7") but I'd prefer family (who are right at 6') feel comfortable cooking when they come over.

As always, thank you for your input and thoughts! You've been invaluable

Comments (8)