SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

How long before transplanting/moving sprouts?

Lars
7 years ago

Here is a photo of my sprouting tray, approximately four weeks after planting. The ones in the bottom left are Chocolate Habanero, as is the tiny one on the far right - the one at the top was labelled "Pepper Tobago Seasoning" and is supposed to taste like Habanero without the heat.

How large should the sprouts get before I transplant them? At the rate they are growing now, it may take weeks, and I am leaving for Europe four weeks from now. I am going to have my next door neighbors take care of plants for me while I'm gone, but I don't want them to have to baby the sprouts. Right now the tray is in front of my patio door, which gets quite a bit of light, and they also get a bit of light from my skylight, and I keep them covered with the plastic lid to keep them from drying out. I'm sure even the largest one has hardly any roots yet, but I do want to help it become strong. Should I set it in a small bowl closer to light? I did that with the tomato sprouts that I planted in the empty row - they sprouted within a week and got too tall for the tray, but I still have not yet put them in pots either.

Here is a Pepper Tobago that I simply planted as a seed outdoors at about the same time. I got about the same percentage of sprouts by planting outdoors as I did starting indoors, it seems, and I plan to plant the other Habanero seeds outdoors when I get back in June, just to see if they will sprout outdoors. Weather is a bit mild right now with temps in the low 70s and it gets down to 60 at night.

Comments (11)

Sponsored