SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aztec

Arbutus trees: were great, now looking... bad

aztec
7 years ago

Location: Rancho Santa Fe (inland coastal San Diego county). Posted this in the tree forum first, and was suggested to post here.

We have a grouping of three arbutus, planted in a slightly raised planter (18" retaining wall on the downhill side of a slight slope). They are about 15' tall x 12' wide, planted several years ago. They have been gorgeous, until recently. Now there are lots of dead brown leaves and entire small branches that are nothing but brown. Despite that, they're pushing out new growth. This made me think it could be one of the fungi problems, but I sure can't tell. Some of the leaves have black spots. Internet-based research so far has suggested more and less watering. Doh!

The previous owner of the house has both heavy rotating sprays and bubblers for these trees (about 2' from the trunk). We've lived here 18 months and immediately reduced the irrigation to them. We haven't watered them much at all, and they looked great in the Fall. The soil around them is damp, possibly from 1" of rain last week and some irrigation zone testing yesterday. The soil is not soaked, although it is wetter by the trunk (probably from the bubbler test). Each tree has a breather tube. The natural litter around them is fairly heavy, and when pushed aside has some white-ish stuff on the decaying leaves (guessing that's normal). When I dug down to check soil dryness, I noted considerable fine rooting right near the surface. I had thought these trees had mostly deep roots.

Losing these trees would be a disaster on many levels. They're the cornerstone of our landscaping, are awesome, and screen road traffic. Anything else I can tell you? Thanks for any help.

Comments (6)