SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aptosca

pocket door frames: Johnson vs. Häfele/Hawa vs ???

aptosca
7 years ago

Okay. We're going to need pocket door frames soon.

There's lots of love on GW for Johnson. I kind of wonder if I'm missing anything. The knock-down kits are pretty cheap and are available at HD. That's almost scary.

My GC has bought pocket door frames assembled from his millworks. I have no idea what hardware they use. I can ask ...

Johnson sells frames but I get the impression they don't get as much love. It's a little hard to tell the extent they use the same hardware. And as far as I can tell, they don't do a stock prebuilt with soft close.

I'm still trying to figure out Hawa's story is ... challenging. Häfele/Hawa seem not easy to buy.

As far as I can tell, a "standard" Hawa install equivalent to the Johnson 1500 would be the Hawa Futura @ ~500$ + the Hawa Junior 80/Z @ ~300$. Roughly the same price as the door. And the order looks kind of complicated.

Both Johnson and Hawa have soft close now.

So any guidance? Seems a no-brainer to ask the millworks what hardware they use. They can only not answer.

Is it risky to try to assemble from either Johnson or Hawa, having not done it before/recently? My GC's not new any means ... and as much as stickler as I am. We all just know there's more chance for messing up with something you have done before.

The video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlkRzG1cWjI referenced by Quality Pocket Door Frames? has a lot of love for Johnson but even more for Hawa.

Comments (38)