SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbear_15

New construction with 2 drainage easements....HELP with landscape

kbear_15
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Just moved into a new build in NE Ohio; Property is not very big (0.23 acres total) and it's wedge shaped, very narrow in the front/sides of house, widest in the back. Despite asking builder about easements and being told no, I found out the property has TWO drainage easements. A 30 foot easement in the back of the house (backyard is a total of 50 feet, so that leaves only 20 feet without an easement) and a 10 foot easement on the east side of the house. The drainage easement in the back of the property flows into a catch basin in the NE corner of the property; the east easement flows under the street to a retention pond across the street.

Will attach a copy of the easement drawings the engineer gave me from the city. Will also post pictures of the front/side and back of the house.

Lots of issues - there are rabbits, deer (lots of them) in the area. Neighbors are very close on the side and behind us (our slider aligns perfectly with slider of neighbor behind us). Eventually would like to get a dog - so would prefer to put a fence up and I want as much privacy as possible.

Thinking of putting sod down in the front yard, shrubbery/bushes in front of window next to porch so people can't walk up to the window and peek in; Not sure what to do with the area between sidewalk and front porch.

In the back: likely will throw grass seed down.

Ideally, need things that are deer resistant, low maintenance, prefer perinneals, and would like a mix of things that give privacy in the winter (i.e. evergreens)

1. Any recommended specific plants/shrubbery, etc for the front and/or back?

Some have recommended vertical Juniper, baby blue spruce...

2. Ideas to give us max. privacy AND maximize our backyard space. (especially if we need a fence). Will yard look too small if we ran a fence in the back giving us only a total of 20 ft from the house to fence?

How likely will city grant a variance and possibly alter the drainage easement in the backyard??

3. Ideas for what to do with the drainage easement area in the rear of the property (low cost)

4.. Any landscape design ideas, period from looking at the photos?

This is the back of the house. Property extends until the chain link fence (that's the neighbor's fence); Where you see big sticks in the yard - that is about 20 feet from the house (or 30 feet from the back of the property).

This is showing the east side of the property - our property ends where black silt material is. Neighbor put a fence up where his drainage easement started, so the patch of grass is still his property, but that is his 10 feet of drainage easement;

View from our slider to the backyard; chain link fence seen in background is neighbor's and where our property ends.

Comments (9)