SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgeist

Plug the "weep holes" in my concrete block walls prior to insulation?

dgeist
7 years ago

I'm dealing with water issues before doing a complete reno and found that a previously installed interior drainage system was a little lacking. It's not deep enough, not connected correctly to the sump, etc. It DOES have little weep holes drilled in the first course of the block walls on top of the footer. This is below the below the floor surface of the basement slab and was covered by about an inch of lightweight cement prior to me digging it up. This is common thinking for when it was installed in the 70s/80s. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just put hydraulic cement and a capilary break with drylock over them before I close up the old drainage channel with fresh concrete. Alternatively, I could try to dig the whole system down a bit deeper and actually close it in properly so it will actually function as a path to the sump (gravel and XPS or sealed poly barrier under slab, etc.) the only water problems I've had appear to originate from groundwater around the footers permeating up where these very channels had been dug and not moisture in the wall, but that's not to say the're not continually taking on small amounts of water and the weep holes are "helping" a little.

All the building science recommendations seem to apply to poured walls that might be saturated with water but not CONTAINING water cavities. I'd like to make a continuous barrier and seal things up but am afraid I'll make things worse if I don't let these old solutions drain to the inside.

Anyone done something similar or have experience blending old solutions with more modern techniques?

Dan

Comment